Shell Spirax S5 ATF X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the shell gas station today and just for the heck of it i looked at thier ATF Fluid and I saw a brand I never seen before it was called Shell Spirax and there were different numbers.

However I went to the shell site and put in 2002 Honda Accord V6 Automatic Trans it came back with this ATF. Shell SPIRAX S5 ATF X

Im just wondering if anyone has ever used this brand of Shell SPIRAX in any form or any car or even in a HONDA.

I really like Shell products.

Im not sure if I would use it in my Honda but would like to know what people here say about it.

1_128685778229014.jpg

However the brand I posted says it works for all listed below
atfxspec.jpg

atf.jpg

also Shell ATF X IIIG that is suppose to work with Honda is fully synthetic but they changed names as you can see in pic

What what do you all know about this ATF and has anyone used it and what were your results

also Honda owners would be nice.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Wow no one else has seen this fluid in the USA?

@David:

Did you see any manual transmission gear oil on the shelf
like Shell Spirax S2 80w-90, S3G 80w, and S4G 75w-90???

I will never understand why Shell ignores it's good name in the USA. Not to mention it does not offer its excellent
manual transmission gear oils here as far as I can tell either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Wow no one else has seen this fluid in the USA?

@David:

Did you see any manual transmission gear oil on the shelf
like Shell Spirax S2 80w-90, S3G 80w, and S4G 75w-90???

I will never understand why Shell ignores it's good name in the USA. Not to mention it does not offer its excellent
manual transmission gear oils here as far as I can tell either.

You can find Shell products at Shell Gas Stations and on Amazon.

I was shocked to see the local Shell gas station selling Shell Advanced Synthetic Oil for $5.99 a QT. Here is pic of it.

2d0jtwk.jpg

This Shell gas station is where I saw the Shell ATF brand and I talked to the Owner and he said its multi grade and can be used in most cars other then CVT Transmissions.

However Im surprised your the only 1 that has responded to this post.

Last edited:
Good find, David1. Wonder if it's a new products or an old one rebadged. either way... nice to know. If you live in an area where they have Menards stores, they may carry this as they have a wide selection of Sopus/Shell products.

I'd like to see more of Shell harmonizing its brand names across the globe into fewer, but more widely-recognizable, brands. Like the Spirax brand for transmission and gear lubricants, Helix for motor oils, Gadus for greases, etc.

I like the looks of this fluid for older Hondas that don't call for DW-1. Its kinematic viscosity at 100 deg C is 7.2 cSt, so it's right in line with the OEM fluid at operating temperature, and it carries the JASO 1-A approval/certification, of which not all multi-vehicle ATFs claiming Asian applicability have.

Very interesting.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'd like to see more of Shell harmonizing its brand names across the globe into fewer, but more widely-recognizable, brands. Like the Spirax brand for transmission and gear lubricants, Helix for motor oils, Gadus for greases, etc.

I like the looks of this fluid for older Hondas that don't call for DW-1. Its kinematic viscosity at 100 deg C is 7.2 cSt, so it's right in line with the OEM fluid at operating temperature, and it carries the JASO 1-A approval/certification, of which not all multi-vehicle ATFs claiming Asian applicability have.

Very interesting.

Yea I wish you could find Shell / Helix and Spirax brands at say walmart... Only place I can find them is at e bay and amazon...

However the local shell gas station has a small selection of products.

I think the reason shell is not on store shelves is b/c SHELL owns PENNZOIL and shell is Danish owned company.

So when you get Pennzoil your are sorta getting shell, however I would rather have shell
products

I would rather have "real" Shell, too. We are fortunate that Shell has made in-roads in our area recently regarding gas stations. They are, however, operated by a convenience store (like Alco), so their product selection does vary.

By the way, Shell is not Danish; it is Dutch, headquartered in The Hague, The Netherlands. Its full name, actually, is Royal Dutch Shell, PLC. "Koninklijke" (or "Royal Dutch"), by the way, is a descriptor given to certain companies by the monarchs of either Belgium or The Netherlands. These titles are given to companies or organizations who are industry leaders and have been in operation for more than 100 years, at least in principle. They can be known by either "Royal Dutch" (as in Royal Dutch Shell), or "Koninklijke" (as in Koninklijke Philips, the consumer electronics/health care company). Another example is KLM, or Royal Dutch Airlines. KLM actually stands for Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij.

That's probably all you wanted to know, and more, about Shell and large Dutch companies!

It is like finding a needle in a haystack when it comes to
Spirax gear oils like the ones I mentioned I have never seen them on the self at any B&M store in the USA, and if you look online it is almost impossible to find them as well. I don't know of any legit retail outlet in the USA that sells Spirax S2 G 80w, S3 G 80w-90, S4 G 75w-90, or G6 GXME 75w-80.

If ANYONE knows of a retail chain store or legit web store that sells these products in the USA I'd certainly like to know about it.

As for the Shell brand vs Pennzoil frankly I don't think anything less of Shell in fact because I know they sell far more advanced products in Europe with the Shell brand it makes me think much better of it compared to Pennzoil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I would rather have "real" Shell, too. We are fortunate that Shell has made in-roads in our area recently regarding gas stations. They are, however, operated by a convenience store (like Alco), so their product selection does vary.

By the way, Shell is not Danish; it is Dutch, headquartered in The Hague, The Netherlands. Its full name, actually, is Royal Dutch Shell, PLC. "Koninklijke" (or "Royal Dutch"), by the way, is a descriptor given to certain companies by the monarchs of either Belgium or The Netherlands. These titles are given to companies or organizations who are industry leaders and have been in operation for more than 100 years, at least in principle. They can be known by either "Royal Dutch" (as in Royal Dutch Shell), or "Koninklijke" (as in Koninklijke Philips, the consumer electronics/health care company). Another example is KLM, or Royal Dutch Airlines. KLM actually stands for Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij.

That's probably all you wanted to know, and more, about Shell and large Dutch companies!

Yea its DUTCH... I dunno what made me says Danish.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
It is like finding a needle in a haystack when it comes to
Spirax gear oils like the ones I mentioned I have never seen them on the self at any B&M store in the USA, and if you look online it is almost impossible to find them as well. I don't know of any legit retail outlet in the USA that sells Spirax S2 G 80w, S3 G 80w-90, S4 G 75w-90, or G6 GXME 75w-80.

If ANYONE knows of a retail chain store or legit web store that sells these products in the USA I'd certainly like to know about it.

As for the Shell brand vs Pennzoil frankly I don't think anything less of Shell in fact because I know they sell far more advanced products in Europe with the Shell brand it makes me think much better of it compared to Pennzoil.

Yea I like shell products better also.

I have found shell gas station that sells the Spirax ATF and the Shell Synthetic 5W30 and its only 6$ a QT and I think thats cheap considering at AAP they sell Syn Blends for that price.

However There is still other brands of shells oils.. the HELIX brand

It think PENNZOIL has some sorta of contact with shell....

Also Pennzoil is very good oil also.

If you look on you tube and look at the new video on Pennzoil Ultra they show the guys in SHELL uniforms.

21jun81.jpg

Notice the SHELL LOGO on his SMOCK or coverall or whatever you want to call it.

Pennzoil is an American oil company founded in Los Angeles, California in 1913. In 1955, it was acquired by Oil City, Pennsylvania company South Penn Oil, a former branch of Standard Oil. In 1963, South Penn Oil merged with Zapata Petroleum; the merged company took the Pennzoil name. During the 1970s, the company moved its offices to Houston, Texas. In 1977 a spin-off company was formed called Pogo, which stood for Pennzoil Offshore Gas Operators.[1]

Pennzoil was headquartered in Pennzoil Place in Downtown Houston during the 1970s.[2] In 1998, the company merged with onetime rival Quaker State to form Pennzoil-Quaker State. In 2002, the Royal Dutch/Shell Group purchased Pennzoil-Quaker State to form SOPUS—Shell Oil Products US.

Also SHELL OWNS JIFFY LUBE..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back