Help me diagnosis this issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is having issues with her 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.5 w/ CVT.

It recently became very cold where we live. This is what she described to me over the phone.

When car is cold (temp) or under acceleration the car makes a VERY loud rumbling sound. She compared it similar to the sound that my Harley makes with it's open pipes. She said it's not a grinding noise. No check engine light is on.

My guess is that it's a cracked exhaust manifold?

Is this your first winter in the car? Nissan 4cyl are very unrefined and loud in cold temps, I have a couple and love them but they are loud cold.

Have her wait till the car is cold again, then open the hood. Start the car and see if see can isolate the noise to an area. She doesn't really have to know what it is, but if she can give you/us an idea of where it's at, and if it gets worse when revving or not, that would help.

Originally Posted By: stroked93
Is this your first winter in the car? Nissan 4cyl are very unrefined and loud in cold temps, I have a couple and love them but they are loud cold.

No, she purchased this car new in 08. We've pin pointed the noise now to the rear of the car. Exhaust gasket or muffler is my guess.

Trust me, the lack of detail is frustrating....

Sounds like it's safe to continue driving until my father can take a look later this week.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Have her wait till the car is cold again, then open the hood. Start the car and see if see can isolate the noise to an area. She doesn't really have to know what it is, but if she can give you/us an idea of where it's at, and if it gets worse when revving or not, that would help.

I've tried. Don't get me started. As described "it's louder the more I push the gas pedal down"

The heat shield on my Daughters Nissan came loose. It made a [censored] of a noise. It was only held on by some cheesy little studs with push on spring things. Very cheap stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back