Time to buy new gas cans again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the ones you have work and are not broken, why would you replace them? All these regulations on gas cans are ridiculous. My dad still has metal ones from the 60s that just have a regular screw on cap and they work just fine.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
If the ones you have work and are not broken, why would you replace them? All these regulations on gas cans are ridiculous. My dad still has metal ones from the 60s that just have a regular screw on cap and they work just fine.

All the gas cans available today are a 'solution in search of a problem'....

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

All the gas cans available today are a 'solution in search of a problem'....

Precisely. Every time I use one of those 'new' cans, I end up spilling gas. Granted, I don't use them often, so maybe I'm just not used to them. But I rarely, if ever, spilled a drop of fuel with the traditional style cans. Just saying...

Yeah, I saw a segment about this on the Today show the other morning. They were showing that when tilted, a spark could ignite the vapors and cause it to explode. They were saying some wire/mesh arrestor could prevent it.

Originally Posted By: flanso
Justrite Manufacturing makes gas safety can that are, in my opinion, the very best.

Typically the safety gas cans are required in some locations. At Lowes we had to use them for "store use" gas. But they spilled more and or one needed a funnel. While a funnel works great, all the gas that evaporates caused pollution which I think they are trying to avoid.

Originally Posted By: flanso
Justrite Manufacturing makes gas safety can that are, in my opinion, the very best.

My workplace requires metal safety cans. This Justrite model works excellent with the pour spout:

7220120-2T.jpg

With our Grainger discount the 2 gal model was about $50
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif

This site has them for about $60
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
http://www.industrialproducts.com/2-Gallon-Type-II-AccuFlow-Red-Safety-Gas-5-8-Hose-p/7220120.htm

Should last a lifetime, but.........

Unfortunately, I do not think they are U.S. made. Other brands (Eagle?) might be, but the design of the Justrite is superb.

The Blitz Co. ridiculous lawsuit maybe prompted all the foolishness?????????

Justrite safety cans and fire cabinets are most definitely 100% U.S. made right here in central IL. I worked at their factory as a summer job while I was in community college, their based in my hometown.

I bought a spout when I was up in Montreal a few years back thats crewed into my regular gas can. It was flexible, yellow, and had a cap on it. I've never seen them available in the US.

Originally Posted By: Jordan_FX4
Justrite safety cans and fire cabinets are most definitely 100% U.S. made right here in central IL. I worked at their factory as a summer job while I was in community college, their based in my hometown.

I hope that you are more right than WW Grainger, who indicates that the Type II cans are made in China: http://www.grainger.com/product/3NKT7?cm_sp=HIO-_-HIDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ13

EDIT: China mfg. is confirmed at Northern Tool: http://answers.northerntool.com/answers/...filiationaStaff

My mistake,I didn't realize that some of Justrite's products are made overseas, their factory in Illinois makes the fire cabinets and several types of fuel cans. They had a large area dedicated to making 5 gallon cans that looked similar to the Type II's but apparently they're not all made here.

Originally Posted By: KenO
I bought a spout when I was up in Montreal a few years back thats crewed into my regular gas can. It was flexible, yellow, and had a cap on it. I've never seen them available in the US.

Yes Ive done this too!

I like the more rigid, more diffusion-proof new EPA plastic gas cans, but those stupid o-ring sealed fancy spouts cause more spillage then I had ever lost before.

Of course they also build pressure, which means that folks that keep their gas cans in the sun might actually lose less, and dump less evaporated hydrocarbons to the atmosphere. But mine are always kept in a cool and dark place, so Ive never had an issue with evaporation.

the new kinds are very fragile.. I've broken 4 now.

and resplacement nozzle is about 1$ cheaper than a whole new can.
in that picture the one that is REALLY terrible... the left one with the green locking ring

carb-spouts-with-X.jpg

Last edited:
Will I go to jail because I use a WW2 Jerry can. It still pours without a leak and holds 5gal. Pour spout has a flash screen.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Yeah, I saw a segment about this on the Today show the other morning. They were showing that when tilted, a spark could ignite the vapors and cause it to explode. They were saying some wire/mesh arrestor could prevent it.

Yeah I saw that too. Sensationalism at it's finest. What, 18 deaths since 1999? I'll take my chances with the regular cans, thanks!

I didn't realize how bad the new cans were until I had mine stolen, and looked in the store at what they had to offer. Yikes! I know I shouldn't but I'm tempted to just put gasoline into my yellow cans until I can find proper red ones. At least the yellow ones I have have proper spouts; I strongly suspect I could recycle the spouts onto new gas cans.

Originally Posted By: supton
I didn't realize how bad the new cans were until I had mine stolen, and looked in the store at what they had to offer. Yikes! I know I shouldn't but I'm tempted to just put gasoline into my yellow cans until I can find proper red ones. At least the yellow ones I have have proper spouts; I strongly suspect I could recycle the spouts onto new gas cans.

The person who stole yours probably had bought new ones and hated them so he stole some old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back