craftsman snowblower auger gear housing lube ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
prepping a craftsman snowblower, model 31AS6BCE799
manual can be downloaded here
http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0522280.pdf

it shows the auger gear housing to be a worm gear,
and there's a little plastic blue plug on top of the gear housing.
and there was a trace of oil on the bottom of the housing but it did not smell like gear oil.
wondering if i should top it off with gear oil, or did it use engine oil? it has a piece of rtv sticking out from the two halves, pretty sure it came like that brand new so i don't know if the thing has leaked out over the last couple years. it's not mine. the owners manual in the link has no mention of the auger gear housing lube.

Last edited:
For that application, a stout motorcycle oil like M1 V-twin 20W-50 that holds up in the high shear environment like the gears in a motorcycle transmission would probably be a much better oil than any plain jane motor oil.

I have a snappper snow blower and it takes a semi fluid grease I bought through snapper, I would think in the parts list it would show it for this also

I've been topping off with whatever leftover 80W-90 hypoid I had on the shelf since 2001. Not easy to get into that tiny hole but it seems to do a good job of protecting the auger drive.

The gear setup is a hypoid gear I believe. I would use gear oil rather than motor oil.

I bought a small container of Airens snow blower gear oil for my Airens. Probably at the cost of $50/QT but the container was small and it only cost about $6 and I just topped it off with an ounce or two.

Remember to clean well around the plug before opening it.

According to the model number of your snowblower (247.88355), it is manufactured by MTD. I have an MTD snowblower which I purchased in 1996, and it specifies the use of Alvania EP Lead-Free Grease. When I "rebuilt" the worm gear in my MTD blower, I Googled Alvania EP Lead-Free Grease, and found out it is an extreme pressure lithium based grease. Hence, I used some Valvoline SynPower Grease that I had on hand, and filled the housing using my grease gun with a needle on the end of the Zerk coupling. It's been working fine for several years now.

Are you referring to the hypoid gear housing in the middle of the auger - the housing that kind of resembles a differential on an axle? Check out page 13 under "Gear Case". The manual says it is filled and sealed at the factory, but calls for 2 ounces of grease, part #737-0168, if you need to disassemble it. If you don't see 2 ounces of grease in your leak, I'd leave it alone and use it as is.

Yep, like said, the auger gearcases use grease for their lubricant. The old school iron beasts took gear oil. In a pinch, I use a plastic kiddy medicine syringe or the likes to add some warmed 80w90 gear oil or the likes. Pretty sure the gear gases, gaskets and seals in today's units won't hold straight gear oil long term. It would leak out.

I got my Craftsman (MTD) blower a couple years ago from a neighbor who was throwing it out because the gearbox was shattered. A new gearbox was $150 but well worth it when I got the blower for free. The new one has a grease zerk on it, which the original did not have.

IMAG0134_zps0fb1de5c.jpg

When I took it apart to fix it, I discovered the cause of the failure. He had replaced the shear pins with grade 8 bolts.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I got my Craftsman (MTD) blower a couple years ago from a neighbor who was throwing it out because the gearbox was shattered. A new gearbox was $150 but well worth it when I got the blower for free. The new one has a grease zerk on it, which the original did not have.

IMAG0134_zps0fb1de5c.jpg

When I took it apart to fix it, I discovered the cause of the failure. He had replaced the shear pins with grade 8 bolts.
33.gif

Pics or it didnt happen! Also, where did they install the zerk? In place if the blue plug!?

My 1981 Toro 624 has been running happily with outboard motor lower unit lube in its auger box for many years.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
The zerk is in plain sight in that picture.

Thanks for pointing that out, my mobil devices screen doesnt reveal such detail unless I zoom in.
wink.gif

Does excess grease get pushed out the back shaft seal then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back