JP-8 in a diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have learned that JP-8 can be converted for use in a Diesel engine if certain esters are added. My question is what products contain these esters? Diethyl Azelate, Diethly adipate, or bis2 ethyl- hexyl sebacate. These esters lower the wear scar value below what ULS diesel's value is. There are Some other esters as well but these stuck out at me. Any ideas?

IIRC they are part of the fuel additive package. JP-8 adds can be highly toxic.

All I know is when the switch was made from JP-5 to JP-8 in aircraft engines problems were many.

Unless you have access to free JP-8 I can't see any benefit in trying to use it in any diesel engine unless the engine is multi-fuel rated then the is no need in adding anything in that application.

Some military multi-fuel engines come to mind.

I ran JP-8 in my old 91 jetta diesel with no issues. Didn't run it much, just a tank full here and there so no long term effects where noted.

How much of this fuel did you snag?
What's wrong wih it, since normally nobody is looking to give away jet fuel?
It would probably be pretty safe to mix this with regular ULSD.
What kind of a diesel would you use it in?
I'd bet it would be just fine in an old mechanical injection engine and maybe not as great in a modern common rail one.

I would run it in the old IDI diesels mixed with 50:1 two-stroke oil. The military 6.2 diesel injection pumps have hardened internal components to stand up to the "dry" fuel, I've heard of airline mechs running pumped out Jet-A with an extra fuel/water separator to remove the excess water.

Originally Posted By: Groundhog
I have learned that JP-8 can be converted for use in a Diesel engine if certain esters are added. My question is what products contain these esters? Diethyl Azelate, Diethly adipate, or bis2 ethyl- hexyl sebacate. These esters lower the wear scar value below what ULS diesel's value is. There are Some other esters as well but these stuck out at me. Any ideas?

Methyl soyate.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'd use Rapeseed Ethyl Ester personally Mola...can make either in a coke bottle 'though.

Either Rapeseed Ethyl Ester or Methyl Soyate would be good additives. In fact, just about any veggy methyl or ethyl ester would work.

Up here in the northern hemishpere, soybean esters seem to dominate as an additive for the medium distillates.

FOr JP-8, I think about 15% by volume of a veggy ester would be sufficient.

Last edited:
Sorry Mola, was trying (unsuccessfully) to be humerous...

Interesting to see who's lobby groups get what through, as your biodiesel specs pretty much make soy oil the only primary contender...ours make conola the preferred feedstock. Use anything else, and there's something that needs modifying to get it right.

I made a quart in a bottle at work some many moons ago while presenting at a meeting on sustainability...simple stuff, but it made an impact.

Premium diesel usually has 2% RME in it around here.

Well about 1k gals. It was used at an engine plant and was considered waste. So being on a farm and not highway use I just had to haul it away. Now I'm all over the road with what to add.
As far as engines I've got everything from a single cyl diesel 8000 hrs pump to an 7430 John Deere.
JD is CR but my others are not
Maybe a dumb question but isn't rapeseed oil same as canola?

A thousand gallons for the cost of hauling it off?
Great score!
It might be best not to use it in the CR Deere, but I'd bet that the mechanical IDI engines wouldn't much care.
To Mola and Shannow, what would be a good commercial source for a methyl or ethyl ester to blend with this fuel?
Canola or soybean oil off the grocer's shelf?

Anywhere that sells 100% biodiesel...as long as it's pure and clean.

Hadn't thought of that.

Anywhere that sells 100% biodiesel...as long as it's pure and clean.

Or contact ADM or Acme Hardesty which both make good esters.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
All I know is when the switch was made from JP-5 to JP-8 in aircraft engines problems were many.

there was no such thing as a switch from JP-5 to 8. Both are active specifications for currently used fuels. JP-8 is a low flashpoint jet like Jet-A and actively used in army/USMC diesels and generators as well as terrestrially-based jet aircraft and gas turbine engines.

JP-5 is a high flashpoint jet fuel used in ships to operate sea-based jet aircraft, and can be used in place of DFM/F-76 high flashpoint diesel in marine gas turbines.

Both jets are currently dirtier (sulfur content) than equivalent distillate fuels. I'd be careful with the JP-8 additives.

Some interesting developments in JP-8 as an altrnative deisel fuel.

The Army through the SBIR small business development award program has been working with Alternative Fuels Technology (Redmond MI) for the past several years on mitigating the valve wear problem caused by the low lubricity of JP-8.

Phase 1 and Phase 2 have been completed and they are now selected for Phase 3, commercialization. They did the work on the Bosch CP-3 common rail.

You can view the results of Phase 1 and Phase 2 R&D on the following link go to "filter: type "alt" and view the Alternative Fuels Technology entries. Army has selected them for phase 3 commercialization. More information about that process can be read at the SBIR Phase 3 commercialization brochure

https://portal.armysbir.army.mil/SmallBusinessPortal/Portal/SummaryReports/Default.aspx ......easy access by

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back