AMSOIL SAE 15W-40 premium for CUMMINS ISX,400HP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMSOIL SAE 15W-40 premium 100% synthetic desel oil for CUMMINS ISX,400HP YES or NO ?

AMSOIL
DME.jpg

Last edited:
Good oil but probably overkill unless your stretching the OCI or arctic conditions with no block beater. I have Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 in my 525 horse ISX. 10k OCI.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Good oil but probably overkill unless your stretching the OCI or arctic conditions with no block beater. I have Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 in my 525 horse ISX. 10k OCI.

10k OCI on an ISX -- why?

That's what the boss does fleet wide. 10k OCI on the rigs. We have a little Volvo D13 with 490k miles. Seems to work.
smile.gif

That's what the boss does fleet wide. 10k OCI on the rigs. We have a little Volvo D13 with 490k miles. Seems to work.
smile.gif

Talk about overkill...what are these trucks used for?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
smile.gif

Talk about overkill...what are these trucks used for?

Hauling milk. Lots of farm pickups and stop and go driving. Some guys have a 15 miles drive to the plant from their last farm. I have a 95 miles drive...

Amsoil makes very good products.

Whether this is a good choice for the engine is dependent upon a host of many other things, so far not revealed by the OP.

The the correct answer is "maybe so, maybe not" ...

If "normal" use and OCIs are planned, then this is a waste of money. If abnormal use and/or greatly extended OCIs are planned, then it may be beneficial.

More info = more detailed answers.

The "best" answer will come from UOAs; why guess when you can know?

Last edited:
Ok.... I had a Cummins ISX 435 in my last semi. I tried the Amsoil product in it. Ran a number of samples. Got no better results than I had with regular oil, in fact, I was actually getting a lot of spikes in copper and lead using the Amsoil.

I eventually went with Schaeffer Oil. Have gotten very good results with the 7000 Series 15w40 semi synthetic. The 9000 Series 5w40 full synthetic has the same add pack. I just got a 55 drum of 7000 15w40 semi syn, delivered to the front door for free, for $980. The 9000 5w40 was $1118 for a 55 delivered. A drum of the oil the OP mentioned is $1386 at preferred customer pricing and still get hit for deliver charge and they do not include anything extra, like oil sample kits.

And there have been some very favorable results shown in comparison of Schaeffer to Amsoil. I like that the price of the Schaeffer is considerable cheaper, they deliver for free, and when you get a drum of oil, they also include several oil sample kits for free as well. Very cost effective solution.

Schaeffer 7000 15w40.... http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/TD Sheets/700.pdf

Schaeffer 9000 5w40.... http://www.schaefferoil.com/cmss_files/attachmentlibrary/9000-Logo.pdf

Hi,
MikhailKozyrev - A lubricant from the Delo, Delvac, Rotella/Rimula or Castrol's HDEO range meeting the appropriate Cummins requirements will do just fine. These are all well performing commercial products with sound histories

A trended UOA programme will confirm the performance of the product you chose - one way or another - and assist in determining your optimum OCI

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back