2012 Lincoln MKX maintenance plan/extended OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I was talking with my mother, and it turns out she bought a maintenance plan from the dealer for her 2012 MKX, but it only provides an oil change every 7,500 miles. I am considering doing my own OC at 3,000 or 3,500 or possibly sending a used oil sample to Blackstone to decide whether to continue running this oil for the specified interval. My paranoid thinking believes that the car companies want to extend OCI's in order to drum up business in the future. Since this car is under warranty, I plan on using Motorcraft oil and filters, but no I don't know what type of oil and filter this particular dealership used, hopefully Motorcraft.

What engine and what are her driving habits?

Some Fords on here are running 10k or longer on MC oil and filters and considering going further. I'd say your mom's vehicle will be fine at a 7500 OCI, unless all her trips are a mile or two then a UOA might be a good idea.

And...

35.gif

Agree w/Kuato...

Ford are recommending 10,000-mile OCI for many of their cars now. 7,500 on MC syn-blend and an MC filter should be no problem.

Depends if they're using MC syn-blend or the full syn MC oil. I'd find that out first. At the ford dealer here they use MC syn-blend for 5k miles and the full syn is for 7500 miles. Which I think is fine for both applications and probably a bit too conservative. Unless the car is short tripped and takes over a year to rack up those miles. I think they'd rather have the car in the dealer too look for other things to fix. Besides a huge repair may fall under the warranty and the refund on warranty work from the manufacturer isn't that lucurative for the dealer.

Well the first oil change was complimentary, so there's only a window sticker. I want to send a sample to Blackstone once it hits 3,000 miles so that I know for sure if it's good for X number of miles, and that way I might be able to save some money in the future.

It's a 3.7 v-6 model and her driving habits are conservative. Her shortest trip is probably 10 miles or so round trip. Sometimes longer trips on the highway of 50 miles or more occasionally.

I just crawled under and checked it out, it's a motorcraft FL-500S filter, which is recommended. I plan on doing a UOA at 3,000 miles and making my decision on that.

I called the dealership and he said it is Motorcraft syn-blend 5W-20. Since there is some difference of opinion as to whether the syn-blend oil is good for 7,500 miles my plan is to do a UOA around 3,000 miles and use the information to decide if any future mid-way oil changes are needed.

If Ford say's it's good, it's good. I wouldn't waste $ on UOA. If she only does short trips, it may qualify for Severe use. Check the manual, and follow it.

I'd wait until 15-20k miles for a UOA. MC semi syn and MC filter are very good. You won't have a problem with 7500 miles OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back