Thought on Castrol Edge (with syntec)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have seen it a bunch lately...have considered tossing in an Ecotec....

Not talked about too much( at least not every other thread, anyways). Has a good shot of moly, high TBN, and seems to be on the thick side for a 5w30. Thoughts?

Reminds me a bit of QSUD....

I`m running the 10W40 version of it now and ran the 5W50 version of it last oil change. Smoothest my car has ever run. LOVE the stuff!

I would like to try some but whenever Autozone advertises it, I go into my local store and it's never available.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I would like to try some but whenever Autozone advertises it, I go into my local store and it's never available.

Mine has the opposite issue...

Just put 0w-30 Edge with FST in my Ecotec. I can't hear a sound from my motor,not a click,clack--nothing.This is in -30 celsius
startup.Have used mobil 1 etc. By far this is the quietest my motor has been, it's almost spooky.I think this is the current version of GC. It has a -57 celsius pour point.

My only hesitation with castrol is there are a lot of stories (with pictures too) claiming castrol synthetics produce varnish build up.

I'm sure it is a fine oil but those stories keep me from paying for it.

Yet Edge stomped most of the competition in the TEOST test done by Amsoil. I think they are just that...stories.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Yet Edge stomped most of the competition in the TEOST test done by Amsoil. I think they are just that...stories.

that could be a good point if you assume that all deposits and varnish are equal and created the same way.

Originally Posted By: Winterpeg
Just put 0w-30 Edge with FST in my Ecotec. I can't hear a sound from my motor,not a click,clack--nothing.This is in -30 celsius
startup.Have used mobil 1 etc. By far this is the quietest my motor has been, it's almost spooky.I think this is the current version of GC. It has a -57 celsius pour point.

That's what I've been hearing with both the 0w and 5w30 weights of edge that makes them quiet. A buddy of mine and I were just talking about it.

Interesting enough, when the wife's ecotec went from M1 to QSUD, it did not make as much noise either.....

not sure about the varnish part though. I think that might depend on the engine too..mine are all ecotecs, which are known to be easy on oil....

I would just go QSUD or Penzoil dexos here, but Edge really has me curious, since I have not used a castrol product in over 10 years....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Winterpeg

That's what I've been hearing with both the 0w and 5w30 weights of edge that makes them quiet. A buddy of mine and I were just talking about it.

Interesting enough, when the wife's ecotec went from M1 to QSUD, it did not make as much noise either.....

not sure about the varnish part though. I think that might depend on the engine too..mine are all ecotecs, which are known to be easy on oil....

I would just go QSUD or Penzoil dexos here, but Edge really has me curious, since I have not used a castrol product in over 10 years....

If you decide to use it, I would be interested to hear the results. The only 0W-20 oils I can find locally are Edge w/ Titanium and M1 AFE. Normally I prefer Pennzoil Platinum but I can't find it in 0W-20.

Like you I've heard a bunch of stories about Castrol not being very clean and M1 being very noisy. Then again I hear stories of Pennzoil causing "waxy buildup" and I haven't had that experience so it's probably just rumors.

Just curious...I looked for those "varnish" issues on the web, and found nothing. Anybody ever seen it?

Maybe it really is just rumors...

Which Edge is thicker out of the 10W30's,the Syntec or Titanium? Anyone know the ester content of the Edge Titanium?

Just curious...I looked for those "varnish" issues on the web, and found nothing. Anybody ever seen it?

Just google BMW castrol varnish and plenty should pop up. Most of the stories are the same. A BMW which was dealer serviced for life with Castrol had its valve cover removed and everything is yellow/reddish varnished. You can also search in google images to just see pics.

Are you asking about the black bottle stuff that used to be called Syntec?
Outside of the GC formula, this oil never got much love on here.
I have GC in the Forester at the moment, mainly because I had five quarts left from the days of my infatuation with GC.
I'll run it 6-7K, which is well within the capabilities of an oil that meets a number of Euro long drain specs.
The plain-Jane 5W-30 should be as good as any other API SN oil.
I've used it in the past as well and still have ~9 qts in my stash.
I'd buy and use it without any problem, although there are oils with better specs at the same price point, M1 0W-30 being one of them and PP 5W-30 another.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Just google BMW castrol varnish and plenty should pop up. Most of the stories are the same. A BMW which was dealer serviced for life with Castrol had its valve cover removed and everything is yellow/reddish varnished. You can also search in google images to just see pics.

Interesting...nothing looked too bad...wonder if it is more of a bmw thing, as their engines are a little more advanced than my ecotecs....

Adding tho this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2935154/5

Looks like the issue with the BMW might be more more due to the OCI (long one I see) then the oil itself...

Last edited:
Interesting...nothing looked too bad...wonder if it is more of a bmw thing, as their engines are a little more advanced than my ecotecs....

It's been talked about a lot, and has been seen in other vehicles, too (i.e. Audis and VWs). However, I wonder how many dealers were using GTX instead of the approved oils in these vehicles for these very long OCIs.

I put it in my Mazda 3 my last oil change and I love it. Noticably quieter compared to the Mobil 1 I had in last 2 fills. I used to love PP but now I'm hooked on edge/syntec.

Originally Posted By: Garak

It's been talked about a lot, and has been seen in other vehicles, too (i.e. Audis and VWs). However, I wonder how many dealers were using GTX instead of the approved oils in these vehicles for these very long OCIs.

True, but to me ( hope I don't get beat for this one) it seems like focused on the high end high tech cars here. Not sure, but I think they push a longer OCI too...which is something I do not understand. Different cars are put into different kinds of service. One might get lots of freeway driving, while the other spends its time in stop and go. Even if they have an OLM, it may not completely reflect that.

I can see companies like toyota pushing longer synthetic (or blend) OCI if they know the engine is pretty easy on oil. Can't say the same about the higher ended brands car's engines...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back