Life is too short to own cheap guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening bitog. The more I shoot and learn from my mistakes I realize its just silly and exhausting to mess around with cheap stuff. Every time I'd think I'd be better off saving that extra $200 or whatever, buying entry level brand x vs brand z, I was eventually sorry for it. Don't ask me how.i know this.

When you buy a nice gun, you appreciate it a lot more, enjoy the heck out of it, and chances are it will last you a lifetime/son's/grandson's...

Just my thoughts here.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Life not guns. Gun takes life...

Wut?

A gun is a tool. You can use it to hunt, you can use it for self defence and you can use it for recreational purposes that don't involve the loss of life (animal or human).

I kinda' like my Kel-Tec.

I never had any extracting problems or trigger problems. You don't want to fire more than a couple of magazines through it at a time but I don't think a Ruger LCP would be any more comfortable. They are both too small to fire off a box of 50 or more.

I might be a bit tolerant of it because of the M1911s we re-qualified with in the National Guard. They were made by Ithaca in the middle of WWII, the matte finish was worn off almost entirely, if you shook it, it rattled, and they would jam....frequently.

I have had a few Kimber's. The 1911's. What a quality .45. But......
They were picky on amo. The guns did not like cheap .45 rounds.
Your point is well taken.

There is always a middle ground though. Going cheap is usually not the best value. But sometimes folks can get caught in a loop where if they do t have exactly what their heart and mind was set on, they'll be disappointed. Sometimes best value can be had on the low to mid-end. It's complex!

You can get away with an inexpensive gun, but avoid cheap ones at all costs. There is a very big difference.

Cheap is often your Hi Points, Cobra Arms, Phoenix, SKKY

Inexpensive can be good quality police trade ins and military surplus guns. My first handgun was a 200 dollar Walther P1. Ran like a top.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN

The idiots pulling the trigger is what ends lives not guns!

Please don't tell me a bunch of anti-gun nuts are going to trash this topic....

Groan.

Actually people make that decision, not the gun.
You should view a video on YT of a handgun that was placed in a secure location and filmed for 24hrs, it didn't get up and shoot anyone.

There is a point of which the "niceness" of the gun prevents the owner from using it. I.E. the $1500-2000 1911 pistol that is a safe queen. Its too nice to let slide around in your locked truck tool box.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Good evening bitog. The more I shoot and learn from my mistakes I realize its just silly and exhausting to mess around with cheap stuff. Every time I'd think I'd be better off saving that extra $200 or whatever, buying entry level brand x vs brand z, I was eventually sorry for it. Don't ask me how.i know this.

When you buy a nice gun, you appreciate it a lot more, enjoy the heck out of it, and chances are it will last you a lifetime/son's/grandson's...

Just my thoughts here.

I couldn't agree more. First, I love .22 guns. They are so economical to shoot, and just fun to play with. When I was younger, I became quite a fan of the 10/22. And I still am. But they are essentially a utility tool. Very reliable. Quite accurate. Just a great gun.

But recently I have started searching for and buying nicer guns. I recently picked up a Browning grade 2 BL-22 lever action. While it is also very reliable, and even a little more accurate than my 10/22's, it is both a visual and engineering work of art. The high gloss, checkered, walnut stock is just gorgeous. And the scroll engraved receiver adds a very nice touch to it. Then there is the super smooth, short throw action. I bought the BL-22 at a gun show. I am sure that there were many more expensive assault rifles being bought that day. But when I left, both of the gentlemen working security made comments about how beautiful of a gun it was, and jokingly commented that I should put it in their car when I left. I didn't hear them make a single comment when the assault rifles were checked out right before me.

I suspect that, when my wife and I die, and pass our guns on to the kids, they will like the 10/22's because childhood memories were formed, shooting these guns. But I also suspect that the BL-22 will be something that will stay in the family for generations, because everyone will enjoy showing it off, and shooting it.

From now on, I don't plan on buying many "utility" guns. Maybe a nice concealed pistol, and a tactical shotgun. But most everything else that I buy from now on, is going to be something that is a work of art. Beautiful to look at. Fun to handle, because it is engineered so well. Or, perhaps because of historic significance. Nice guns are a joy to collect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
There is a point of which the "niceness" of the gun prevents the owner from using it. I.E. the $1500-2000 1911 pistol that is a safe queen. Its too nice to let slide around in your locked truck tool box.

For me at least, I've always had a problem with mistreating a firearm. Just because it is a "daily carry", always there so you have it when you need it, doesn't mean that it should be tossed in the tool box, along with the hammer and pry bar and combination wrenches. What's wrong with putting a gun in a nice soft case? As a youth I always heard old-timers say "Take care of a gun, and when you need it, it will take care of you."

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: spasm3

For me at least, I've always had a problem with mistreating a firearm. Just because it is a "daily carry", always there so you have it when you need it, doesn't mean that it should be tossed in the tool box, along with the hammer and pry bar and combination wrenches. What's wrong with putting a gun in a nice soft case? As a youth I always heard old-timers say "Take care of a gun, and when you need it, it will take care of you."

I agree with you, i don't do this either, it was more of an example. I keep mine clean , in a holster. I just meant that some people spend a lot, not as collectors , then don't use/carry the firearm as they may scratch it with a holster.

Meh.

Life's too short for fwd cars, ugly women, dull colors, the list is really endless if you worry about things like that.

As for myself, I enjoy shooting my Hi Point about as much as my H&K. I don't get the gun snobbery thing.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN

The idiots pulling the trigger is what ends lives not guns!

Please don't tell me a bunch of anti-gun nuts are going to trash this topic....

Groan.

There's always the butthat in the group that tries.
smile.gif
anyways I REALLY miss my 10/22. Such an amazing rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back