LinuxMint 16 is out; codename Petra

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://linuxmint.com/

For those who do not use the ability to run Photoshop as a metric for suitability of a desktop OS, the lastest version of LinuxMint was recently released.

This is a popular alternative for those who fled the Ubuntu Unity conversion.

whats the difference between Cinnamon and mate?

putting this on an old laptop coreduo 1.6ghz

with slow integrated x200? ati graphics

Last edited:
Mint is simply fantastic. My OS of choice. I've been a user since Elyssa.. version 5. Can't wait for the next LTS!

Originally Posted By: Rand

Cinnamon has more effects and runs better with higher end graphic cards. Mate is a fork of the old "Gnome" before version 3. Mate will probably be better suited to that older ATI video onfiguration. Cinnamon may not even run on that PC.

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04

Cinnamon has more effects and runs better with higher end graphic cards. Mate is a fork of the old "Gnome" before version 3. Mate will probably be better suited to that older ATI video onfiguration. Cinnamon may not even run on that PC.

If MATE gives you problems, either wait a few weeks for the XFCE version or try Mint 13 XFCE, the release with long-term support until 2017. I'm dual-booting Mint 13 XFCE on a netbook with the AMD C-50 APU, and like it quite a bit.

I am a recent Mint user. I have it on two machines at home, both with 6 year old hardware, and both with the MATE desktop environment. I type this in Google Chrome on our laptop booted into Mint 13 (which is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS). I have this configured to dual-boot with Windows (on both machines actually), and Mint runs far better, FAR better, than Windows on both of them. At this very minute, even with somewhat "piggy" Chrome open, I'm using exactly 258 MB of my 2 GB total RAM.

Edit: with Chrome closed and the OS idling, it uses only 153 MB of RAM. Brilliant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
For those who do not use the ability to run Photoshop as a metric for suitability of a desktop OS,

BTW, Photoshop CS2, and perhaps even newer versions, runs just fine under WINE on Linux. Adobe began giving away CS2 serial #'s recently so getting a copy is a snap.

MATE is a fork of the now-defunct GNOME 2 and Cinnamon a fork of the wildly contentious GNOME 3. Cinnamon requires some video card 3D acceleration for compositing effects, while MATE does not.

Have 11 or 12 on my HTPC.. kept it up to date but wonder if I should blow it away and install the new versions. Don't keep up with it like I used to!

I created an .iso dvd of Cinammon Mint 16 and used it to boot an old Dell Inspiron B130 I rescued from a neighbor years ago. Worked well save for unable to tap on the touchpad to select. TP works fine for moving pointer though.

Unable to give you the specs on the Dell...don't use it that often. It's running WXPIII I reloaded. Definitely NOT a dual core.

I wanted to see what all the Mint-fuss was about! The whole xxxbunto thing is quite confusing for a beginner, so I went with LM16 and chose Cinammon. Seems to work fine so far.

Only played with it a few minutes. Sure comes with a lot of SW already on the disk! Nice.

Thanks for creating this thread!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
so I went with LM16 and chose Cinammon. Seems to work fine so far.

If the machine is on the older side and Cinnamon ends up feeling a bit sluggish, try the MATE edition. Same application suite, just a less graphics-intensive user interface.

I noticed while playing around in window settings? that you could turn off and adjust several "effects". They were all turned off by default.

I'd like to dual boot this machine. I'll have to look up how to do that.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I noticed while playing around in window settings? that you could turn off and adjust several "effects". They were all turned off by default.

I'd like to dual boot this machine. I'll have to look up how to do that.

Easy. Just install linux and it'll ask you how you want to install it. Just select "install alongside windows" and it will do it all for you.

Back everything up, first. It installed along-side Windows fine on my laptop. But Linux Mint somehow botched the Windows partition on a desktop. Windows will not boot anymore, even though it's a choice in the GRUB. It begins to load, then shows a BSOD with text on it, but the computer restarts so quickly, it's gone in a blink of the eye (so I can't read any of it).

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Mate will probably be better suited to that older ATI video onfiguration. Cinnamon may not even run on that PC.

Cinnamon runs wonderfully for me on an ATI X1400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back