Lot of Priuses with dead batteries on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a buyer is buying a car long distance (and therefore cannot inspect the car), the buyer is under no obligation to keep the car if additional problems occur. According to U.S. law the seller must take back the "not working as advertised" car and refund the money.

There are thousands of such cases where a dishonest seller tried to screw a buyer (by not revealing flaws), and the judge forced the seller to repay all the cash (plus fines on top of it). It's called fraud.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

priusses

OT, but thank you for pluralizing a proper name, and not the latin word for "before".
smile.gif

When Greek or Latin words integrate into the English language, they eventually adopt English rules. For example I rarely hear people say, "Our work computers caught several virii." It's almost-always viruses. Ditto with prius/priuses.

Originally Posted By: blackman777
When Greek or Latin words integrate into the English language, they eventually adopt English rules. For example I rarely hear people say, "Our work computers caught several virii." It's almost-always viruses. Ditto with prius/priuses.

While I agree that viruses or virii are both valid.

Prius being a proper given name has to be 'Anglicanly pluralized' ie Priusses which is admittedly much less graceful than saying Prii.

It's the same deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs. They're called the "Leafs" not the Leaves, because the players are not a collection of individual leaves. They are a collection of hockey players (debatable), each of which is a member of the Toronto Maple Leaf team.

Also, my appologies for being annoying!!!!
lol.gif

If a buyer is buying a car long distance (and therefore cannot inspect the car), the buyer is under no obligation to keep the car if additional problems occur. According to U.S. law the seller must take back the "not working as advertised" car and refund the money.

There are thousands of such cases where a dishonest seller tried to screw a buyer (by not revealing flaws), and the judge forced the seller to repay all the cash (plus fines on top of it). It's called fraud.

I'm sure they have to be material differences, and good luck with pursuing that.

Apparently nobody heard me say Toyota ran Priuses round a testtrack, and they went 200,000 miles without any measurable degradation. At no time did Toyota say "you need a new battery every 8 years." You are imagining things.

Also: This is why I prefer Hondas.

If the battery does happen to wear-out, the Honda will keep running, as a standard gasoline car (no e-assist).

Running around a test track 200,000 in one shot is not a valid test. Time is also a factor.

I've done a little research on this topic.

There are two generations of battery pack, 28 cell and 38 cell. They don't interchange.

A pack typically goes bad by a small number of cells failing. When the car has a bad pack it goes into 'limp home' mode, with much reduced power and speed. It also loses 'reverse gear'. While still drivable, it has a major impact rather than just decreasing mileage a bit.

Most inexpensive pack advertised on FleaBay are really 'with exchange'. Small shops take an old pack, replace just the bad cells with ones from other failed packs, and claim it's "refurbished". Such a pack is likely to quickly fail again.

It's much better to buy an intact used pack from a wrecked car, which has matched cells and likely has years of service left.

(Note: if I had a Prius I wouldn't hesitate to swap out a failed cell. But that's because I discount the labor as a fun project and would only be out the cost of one or two used cells. It's definitely not worth paying someone else to do it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back