30 psi bypass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until I found this board it was my understanding that a filter bypass valve would never open on any well maintained engine.

The engines I work on a bypassed filter is a bad thing. there are differential pressure switches on both the fuel and oil filters that will alert the operator just prior to bypass opening. from school I remember even on the recip engines the bypass was only for a clogged filter.

What makes automotive so different? My guess is poor maintenance, many cars do not see regular oil and filter changes. dirty oil is better than no oil, seams to me that if the bypass valve is opening with a clean filter then it is to small for the amount of oil the pump is trying to push through it. The auto manufacturers are guilty here. having a Chevy with lots of ground clearance I am fortunate enough to have my pick of 1pt pf454 through 2 qt pf932 filters, if it does bypass or getting close to it I would like to know about it and take the proper action like wait a little longer on warm up or if it is a constant problem change filters

So i am thinking of doing a little experiment, found a part # for a 30psi bypass that fits Chevy big blocks like mine:

“Gen V and Gen VI big-block crate engines come with two oil pressure bypass valves installed in the engine blocks. Both of these valves are rated at 11 psi pressure differential. One valve is for the oil filter and the other is for the production oil cooler. If you install an aftermarket oil cooler or remote oil filter that attaches to the oil filter pad on the engine block, you should be aware that you need to change the oil filter bypass valve in the engine block. The aftermarket oil lines add resistance which will cause the bypass valve to bypass the aftermarket oil cooler and/or oil filter all the time. Obviously, if the cooler and filter are bypassed the oil will be dirty and hot. Your engine could run hotter and could be damaged by dirt in the oil. If you choose to use an aftermarket cooler or remote oil filter that attaches to the pad, you should change the bypass valve to one with a higher differential pressure rating. A good choice would be GM# 25161284 which is rated at 30 psi. Remove the valve that is closest to the crankshaft and replace it with the new valve. Press the new valve into the engine block and stake it in three places. You should note that the bypass valves don't need to be changed if you use a production oil cooler which uses the production holes in the engine block and you don't use a remote oil filter. Also, if you use an adapter that just angles the filter for clearance you don't need to change the bypass valves”

I ordered one from Gmpartsdirect.com for $2.98 looks like a quality valve (more than I was expecting), should I give it a try? I am currently running an over sized filter with wire mesh backed synthetic media 30psi should not be a problem for it, I watch my oil pressure quite regularly especialy on start withc is where thi swill show itself the most

[ October 25, 2003, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: RavenTai ]

30PSI bypass? Thats nuts!

GM is assuming some serious pressure drop through an oil cooler. I could understand 5-6 more psi but 19psi more
confused.gif

Where is the oil pressure sender located, in relation to the oil flow and filter/bypass locations, on the gauge that you like to watch?

good point
smile.gif
the gage reads from down stream of the cooler filter and thier bypass valves, just before it the oil gets to the oil galleys (where a gage should be IMO) so it will show if there is any appreciable drop in oil pressure because of the new bypass valve

I have a factory oil cooler (oil in passage in radiator) its bypass is factory set to 11 just like the factory filter bypass

[ October 25, 2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: RavenTai ]

Thank you Ralph
smile.gif
that is the solid second opinion I wanted before I tried it

next oil change (2k to go) I will install it and tell you guys how it goes

RavenTai,

It is common for racing to use a teflon plug to plug the stock bypass in the Chevy mount. At one time Jegs High Performance had them. I can see a problem using them for street use because a neglected filter might plug up and the driver might not pay enough attention to the gauge. These plugs are made by Perma-Cool. I wouldn't hesitate to put a 30 psi relief on mine. I think it would be fine for you. If you have a gauge and it reads good oil pressure you are ok. Reading your post tells me you have it figured out.
I like to use a sandwich adapter to install my Motor Guard submicronic bypass filter. It is a piece of cake with the filter with the bypass valve in the filter because Perma-Cool puts a relief valve in the adapter. With the GM models they see no need to put the relief in the sandwich adapter because the relief valve is in the filter mount. The Motor Guard is restrictive like any filter that cleans oil. Almost all of the oil bypasses into the moving parts. I am starting to use the Flex-a-lite because it has a relief valve in the sandwich adapter. The oil will still go through the relief valve with the weakest spring. The 30 psi relief valve would be the fix but too much for most people to deal with installing. The Flex-a-lite has a thermostatic relief that will still work with pressure.
Good information for mechanical types. I think I can use that info.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back