Why do people want to complain about dexos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
An oil that meets dexos 1 or equivalent.

What would be a Dexos1 equivalent, just curious?

Probably an oil like Valvoline that says that it meets the requirements of Dexos 1 but isn't officially licensed?
21.gif

So if I mixed some oil in my garage, put it in a jug, told you that it EXCEEDED dexos, that's good enough for you?

All these people are blabbing about Euro spec this and bah spec that. Have you ever seen what some of these oils cost that meet these obscure European specs? Significantly MORE than Mobil 1. So SOMEBODY is making money, correct?

Originally Posted By: stchman
All these people are blabbing about Euro spec this and bah spec that. Have you ever seen what some of these oils cost that meet these obscure European specs? Significantly MORE than Mobil 1. So SOMEBODY is making money, correct?

Mobil1 0w-40 meets most of those "obscure European specs" yet it costs exactly the same as all other Mobil1 grades, so what's your point?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Mobil1 0w-40 meets most of those "obscure European specs" yet it costs exactly the same as all other Mobil1 grades, so what's your point?

What if you have a BMW M5? Apparently those cars require that 10W-60 and that stuff is expensive and hard to find.

I guess they assume that if you can afford an M5, then you can also afford to feed it fancy oil. Same goes for some high end Mustang versions that call for 5w-50 oil.

yup and you can afford the new engine it needs...but the truth is most of them are leased. we see a lot of bmw's in my shop needing new engines

So if I mixed some oil in my garage, put it in a jug, told you that it EXCEEDED dexos, that's good enough for you?

All depends. Put yourself under the regulations of the Federal Trade Commission, that would include fines and prison time, get yourself some high ticket liability insurance coverage, and put your "home brew" under scrutiny of the market place, and then, maybe, I might be more inclined to take your word that it meets or exceeds the spec.

You glibly throw out a ridiculous scenario that is farcical on its face to try and make a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back