Tail lights - a rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless traffic regulations in most all states require that signal, stop and tail lights MUST be operational at all times while driving on public roads.

I noticed around here where I live that plenty of folks have all the lights working....Exxxxxxxxcept...the license plate lamps.
I'm sure it is not a case of sloppiness, or lack of awareness, it is DELIBERATE to avoid allowing the authorities to identify a vehicle from a distance...most likely drug traffickers...
I have noticed that the state police are filling in the gap where the county sheriff's dept seems to be too busy to bother citing these idiots.

Bottom line is that there should be higher fines for failing to take personal responsibility for making sure your vehicle is in good operating condition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: yonyon
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I never understood the "blacked out lights" look. Given how many accidents are caused by people not paying attention, I would want people to be able to see my brake lights as much as possible.

It's a fashion statement. The statement is "I have lots of money and no idea what to do with it so I tried spending some of it to drive around in a broken car." It's the same thought process that motivates so many people to buy a Jaguar.

Potentially the greatest thing I have ever read on Bitog.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I noticed around here where I live that plenty of folks have all the lights working....Exxxxxxxxcept...the license plate lamps.
I'm sure it is not a case of sloppiness, or lack of awareness, it is DELIBERATE to avoid allowing the authorities to identify a vehicle from a distance...most likely drug traffickers...

Really?

I bet 90% of them are unawares that they're burned out. Maybe even more.

I've had license plate lamps burn out and its always be some coincidence that I even notice. I check my other taillights often - the aforementioned back-up-to-a-store-window method - but the tiny license plate lamps are hard to see via that method. And when they do[i/] burn out, many cars have them installed using tiny Phillips screws that strip easily if they're rusted. So replacing them can be easier said than done.

On the other hand though, I once got "profiled" and was pulled over and had my vehicle searched on a phony burned-out license plate lamp charge.

Regardless traffic regulations in most all states require that signal, stop and tail lights MUST be operational at all times while driving on public roads.

I have noticed that the state police are filling in the gap where the county sheriff's dept seems to be too busy to bother citing these idiots.

Bottom line is that there should be higher fines for failing to take personal responsibility for making sure your vehicle is in good operating condition.

Around here we have those guys who "tint" their plates. They put a darker plastic cover over the plate giving it a gray tint which makes it harder to read. These idiots often have dark tinted windows and tail lights as well.

My solution to people who have tail/brake lights out or tinted tail lights: pass them or let another car in between you and them. I'm a very attentive and cautious driver, but I'm not going to chance running into you because half of your indicating bulbs don't work or can't hardly be seen.

Originally Posted By: css9450

On the other hand though, I once got "profiled" and was pulled over and had my vehicle searched on a phony burned-out license plate lamp charge.

Cops used to pull us over on group rides. Invariably, one of the group would have a burned out license plate light. Or would have relocated the plate to the swingarm or on the inner fender liner without a license plate light at all.

Got to the point where I would check the license plate light on my bike almost every time I rode at night.

Ironically, the swingarm mounted plate is still very popular in spite of the fact that many states require the plate to be mounted vertically and more than 12" from the ground. Instant ticket

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Quote:

Around here we have those guys who "tint" their plates. They put a darker plastic cover over the plate giving it a gray tint which makes it harder to read. These idiots often have dark tinted windows and tail lights as well.

Nice observation!
wink.gif

Interesting you mentioned this because sure enough those folks are the same ones around here that have those light grey tinted plate covers on their vehicles as well. Yeah, they are NOT up to anything at all. LOL

Sorry, but if I was law enforcement and the plate lights are out entirely (most cars have TWO today so if both are burned out you are not doing due diligence.) I would be stopping you. Same goes for tinted plate covers, most states make them ILLEGAL to use.

I don't understand why folks think somehow that they are NOT responsible for making sure their vehicle is safe and operating according to motor vehicle laws. They are not "suggestions" they are in fact the law. If you don't like it change the laws or don't drive.

Last edited:
I've got 2 rants-

1. Those who only turn on their fog lights at night and not their headlights. Do they think it looks cool like that?

2. People who pull trailers without brake lights

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
2. People who pull trailers without brake lights

Up here, it would probably be less work to pull over trailers at night that had working lights and right them a letter of thank you than it would be to pull over those with no lights.
wink.gif

It bugs me to no end, too.

I want my car illuminated well on every practical surface (fenders too) and from every angle. I love the look of side marker lights at night, and the other decorative lights that manufacturers install. (There is a reason people loved Thomas Edison, all his lights looked great) Audi does a really nice job making it look great, for example. I think a well done light package looks fantastic and never detracts from the overall look of a car.

I own a SV1000s motorcycle and the rear illumination is terrible. Even other motorcyclists complain that all they can see is a tiny red tail light and plate light. I want the blinkers to glow too! And I want additional lights. (sometimes called "farkles" on motorcycles)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Got to the point where I would check the license plate light on my bike almost every time I rode at night.

That's probably a good idea.

I should have specified, since its not immediately obvious by my post. I got pulled over and my license plate light wasn't burned out. The cop lied. He just wanted an excuse to pull me over since (I had out-of-state plates and it was late at night in an otherwise empty neighborhood).

Originally Posted By: supton
Huh? DRL's usually (usually!) use the headlights; sometimes it's a parking lamp. But since both headlight and parking lamp circuits are on with the headlights I'm not sure how you can have DRL and headlight on--since it's the same bulb... ?

No, I'm talking about the white factory lights that are usually located below the front bumper (where you'd normally see fog lights)...if those aren't DRLs, then what are they, and why are they always on?

I'd like to see an automaker put in white LEDs across the board... all models, for license illumination. Make them a sealed assembly like a trailer marker light, with a corrosion resistant pigtail connection (like a GM Weatherpak). They could market them as guaranteed for life, and they'd pay any tickets resulting.

I don't understand why folks think somehow that they are NOT responsible for making sure their vehicle is safe and operating according to motor vehicle laws. They are not "suggestions" they are in fact the law. If you don't like it change the laws or don't drive.

The problem is our society and its "me" mentality. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions. I once told a co-worker he had a brake light out, and he joked that if someone hit him that it was their fault for following too close.
33.gif

Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. Since I take part in the privilege of driving, it is my responsibility to make sure my vehicle is operating safely. This means tires, brakes, lights, and anything else that not only impacts me but other drivers is in working condition.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

That's probably a good idea.

I should have specified, since its not immediately obvious by my post. I got pulled over and my license plate light wasn't burned out. The cop lied. He just wanted an excuse to pull me over since (I had out-of-state plates and it was late at night in an otherwise empty neighborhood).

That's common enough. It's called a "fishing expedition", and pointing out that the light works perfectly can get you beaten to a pulp for contempt of cop!

On my Qlink, the plate light isn't an issue: it's part of the brake/tail light assembly and shares its bulb.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I'd like to see an automaker put in white LEDs across the board... all models, for license illumination. Make them a sealed assembly like a trailer marker light, with a corrosion resistant pigtail connection (like a GM Weatherpak). They could market them as guaranteed for life, and they'd pay any tickets resulting.

White LED's really haven't been perfected yet...we have a couple trailers at work with them as interior lights, and they don't last. (They also aren't very bright.)

Here's one for you. A Dodge Ram 3500 merged in front of me traveling down a two lane road. When he came to a stop I paused for a second before hitting my brakes at the last second

Seems his brake lights were white and in the lower position. When he hit the brakes they went on while the red tail lights on top went off. There was also no 3rd brake light up high. When I could get close at a stop light it looked as though this was done intentionally with his tail light/brake light. It was initially confusing.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

White LED's really haven't been perfected yet...we have a couple trailers at work with them as interior lights, and they don't last. (They also aren't very bright.)

The white LEDs in my license plate lamps are 5 years old.

Having my family slam the hatch on my car typically wipes out a filament type bulb in a year. (I'm lucky the kiddo hasn't blown out the back window when he slams it)

My biggest pet peeve is drivers who don't turn on their headlights when it's raining or snowing.
I will flash them, but 9/10 they never get the hint!

In NY, it's illegal to not have headlights on if your using the windshield wipers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back