What is your Oil stash: brands/how much

Status
Not open for further replies.
A huge stash provides better satisfaction than any other human experience, bar none. There are BITOG guys who would rather stick to their stash than spend a thousand nights with the most beautiful women in the world.

I hope that answers your question.

When doing fleet management, I had case upon case of Quaker State. Each car got an oil change (5 litres) per month, so you could tear through a lot of oil. Others (including myself these days) are simply nuts.
wink.gif

10 - 5 quart jugs of Maxlife 5w20
10 - 1 quart bottles of Maxlife
2 - 1 quart bottles supertech 5w20 (used for top-off)
3 - Bottles Mobil 1 75w90
6 - Quarts Castrol Mercon V

8 Motorcraft 820s
6 Napa Silvers

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Can I ask you guys that have massive stashes what exactly the point is? ...what on Earth do you do with *hundreds* of quarts of oil?

I maintain 6 vehicles. 4 of my own (self, wife, teenage daughter + van we travel in), plus adult daughters car, plus Mother-in-laws car. Also two riding mowers and a chainsaw.

Going 5 qt. at a time, my 170 I got for $1 each will use up in just few years.

I have about a gallon of Rotella 15W-40 left over from changing the oil on 4 tractors-I'll keep it for top off oil in the event that I need it over the next year or so. I also have about 1/2 gallon of combined leftover oil from the oil changes on 4 vehicles. Again, just in case I need to top something off I'll keep it around until the next oil change.

At the next oil changes I'll dump these leftovers in with the used oil and toss it on the fire the next time I burn yard waste.

I don't keep a large "stash" of oil or fluids. If I want to invest in oil, I'll do so through an energy related mutual fund where I'll get a far better return on my money.

~ 70 qts

Peak 5W30 dino 5qts
Peak 5W20 syn 2qts
VWB 3-5 qts Jugs
ValvNextGenSyn 5W30 1-5qt Jug
ValvMaxLife 5W30 1-5qt Jug
HavolineDS 5W20/30 12 qts
Havoline Syn 5W20 5qts
QSGB 5W30 10 qts
QSTB 5W30 2 qts
PP 5W20/30 6 qts
Various 5&10W30 4qts

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Can I ask you guys that have massive stashes what exactly the point is? I don't have a stash, although I do wish I had maybe one shelf with some variety at all times, but what on Earth do you do with *hundreds* of quarts of oil? How can you possibly even use all of it? I mean even if you could, the API rating would be like SY by the time you were that deep into your then old SN stock and the year would be 2076.

First of all it is important to note that oil really has no shelf life. Blackstone has tested oils from the 1960s that still retained the additive packs and so if SN oil remains on the shelf for 10 years I personally do not see this as an issue (in my case it would not be there that long though). Speaking for myself, nearly all of the oil that I have cost less than 70% of the full retail price with some of it being FAR (the Spirax was not, but that is a different story). So in essence, I save money in the long run by buying oil when it is cheap or free. I have only started this in the past year or so but have built up my stash very quickly. The other thing that I do on a regular basis is "share" my good fortune with others so there are some donations that happen from my stash as well.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
A huge stash provides better satisfaction than any other human experience, bar none. There are BITOG guys who would rather stick to their stash than spend a thousand nights with the most beautiful women in the world.

I hope that answers your question.

crazy2.gif

50.gif

If we got the deep discounts and FAR deals that can be had south of the border, I would likely have to reconsider my stash stance. As it is right now it's not difficult for me to plan in advance and purchase sales for the next OCIs.

Keep in mind the most beautiful women are a lot more maintenance over the course of 1000 nights which even an unlimited oil stash can't solve.

So tell me what you see here:
2X3_Oil_wrestling_for_a_good_cause.png

^ Now I bet a few members were thinking of UOA

Lvl.5 Lazer Lotus.

Originally Posted By: wemay
15qts - Havoline synthetic 5w30
10qts - Castrol Edge 5w30 (2 jugs)
15qts - PEAK synthetic 5w30 (5qts in use now, 10qts (2 jugs) will be Christmas gifts)

4 - Purolator P1 PL14459 oil filters
4 - K&N HP-1004 oil filters

2 - Techron bottles

Left out:
15qts (3 jugs) - Mobil1 5w30
10qts - QSGB 5w30

15qts - Havoline synthetic 5w30
10qts - Castrol Edge 5w30 (2 jugs)
15qts - PEAK synthetic 5w30 (5qts in use now, 10qts (2 jugs) will be Christmas gifts)

4 - Purolator P1 PL14459 oil filters
4 - K&N HP-1004 oil filters

2 - Techron bottles

Left out:
15qts (3 jugs) - Mobil1 5w30
10qts - QSGB 5w30

...today I bought 3 jugs of my all time favorite, Synpower. I think this is a sickness. I will probably exchange the remaining stash for all Synpower. Its what I used most before I joined BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Guys, 15-20 quarts of oil is "extra", not really a stash.

My wife would beg to differ.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Guys, 15-20 quarts of oil is "extra", not really a stash.

Really? I have exactly one spare quart of GTX, which is what I call my "extra oil". If I had three or four jugs on-hand I would definitely consider that to be my stash. A mere pittance compared to some of you guys, but still a stash if you ask me.

i bought 30 quarts of oil on black friday weekend and 40 quarts for my dad. i had a stash of probably more than 40 quarts already. i've got quaker state, castrol gtx, pennzoil, peak synthetic, and shell. i'll probably stop buying next year because the price/rebate goes up $1-2 every year.

I have enough oil to last both of our cars for over a year. Between my wifes car being driven 35-40k and mine 17-20k, I'd say I have a stash. Not as much as some of you, but it's a stash nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back