Kubota starter problem??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Case in point; 5yr old zero turn ZD326(26hp diesel). I'm having cold starting issues. Starter bendix will click but starter will not engage unless I try starting multiple times. I've tried two batteries. My fixed load battery tester(130A) shows "good" with a 15sec test load. Clean connections from the battery post all the way to the starter. I also checked ground chassis connection. When the starter finally engages it'll drag a good bit but generally will start the engine. After I mow for a while restarts are ok. Can a starter exhibit cold weather problems? I even tried two batteries in parallel and just a click. Any suggestions welcomed.

How do you know its the starter bendix vs starter solenoid?

I have a similar issue in my Bobcat and assume the starter solenoid contacts are not making good contact every time. It always starts after a try or two.

Bring it to a rebuild shop. They can fix it whatever the problem.

You will need to take a 2nd mortgage on your house to afford a new one from Kubota.

How do you know its the starter bendix vs starter solenoid?

I have a similar issue in my Bobcat and assume the starter solenoid contacts are not making good contact every time. It always starts after a try or two.

Bring it to a rebuild shop. They can fix it whatever the problem.

You will need to take a 2nd mortgage on your house to afford a new one from Kubota.

check all the electrical wiring to and from battery(es) to the starter, including, but not limited to chassis side, starter solenoid, etc. to the battery post.

Also: find a fresh new battery (borrow it from your car) and try it.

Q.

Check the path from the switch to the solenoid. If it isn't getting enough voltage to the coil they can click and throw the gear but not have enough to pull it far enough to make contact. Easiest way to check this is jump from the positive terminal to the solenoid. If it pulls in good that way then you need to check the start circuit. Possibly a bad safety switch or key switch. Another way to check it to hook up a battery charger and see what it does then. If it is a high resistance connection or switch somewhere the added voltage from the battery charger might overcome it.

I had the same problem with a john deere 318. It would just click but if I hit it enough it might go some times but would always work if it was jumped. I replaced all the safety switches but it still didn't fix it. Then I found that john deere made a fix. They made a relay kit that pulled in the really from the power from the battery cable. Fixed the problem completely.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Check the path from the switch to the solenoid. If it isn't getting enough voltage to the coil they can click and throw the gear but not have enough to pull it far enough to make contact. Easiest way to check this is jump from the positive terminal to the solenoid. If it pulls in good that way then you need to check the start circuit. Possibly a bad safety switch or key switch. Another way to check it to hook up a battery charger and see what it does then. If it is a high resistance connection or switch somewhere the added voltage from the battery charger might overcome it.

I had the same problem with a john deere 318. It would just click but if I hit it enough it might go some times but would always work if it was jumped. I replaced all the safety switches but it still didn't fix it. Then I found that john deere made a fix. They made a relay kit that pulled in the really from the power from the battery cable. Fixed the problem completely.

Can I jump the starter without the switch on for testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back