Makeshift air intake housing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a short ram air intake in my 06 kia optima 2.4L. and I'm trying to find some way to cover it back up. here is a picture of it (http://imgur.com/Ol7IbHH) . I was wondering if there was any way to close it back up with the bottom of the stock intake box? The stock top is too small. I should have just got a drop in K&N filter, but this was cheaper...And also i'm sorry if this was the wrong place to post this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Possibly because of heat soak .. it sucks up warm air from the engine bay ...

diy heat shield ... ?
I would buy aluminum and bend it to make it work ...

Last edited:
Won't be terrible heat soak due to the fact the bottom of the airbox is still there I would think

And as the cool air will still be coming into the bit of the airbox still there I suspect it will still get a bit of cool air aswell

There is no easy way to cover that in

You have a simple choice IMHO go and get a filter that fits in the airbox or leave it as is.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Possibly because of heat soak .. it sucks up warm air from the engine bay ...

diy heat shield ... ?
I would buy aluminum and bend it to make it work ...

Just get some aluminum "flashing", you can find it at the dump. They use it on roofs near the gutters and lots of other places.

Cut it with snips, use 1/4" self tapping screws to zip it to your plastic air box.

If you need to make a concave curve, make lots of snips so the "feathers" overlap.

+1

Homedepot sells it too.. You can use rivets .. For nice look paint black mat or buy carbon fiber wrap vinyl

Ps make sure that cone filter is good more dirt is not getting in.
I bet that it soinds nice

I have something similar to this

ebay

$(KGrHqVHJFYFDRE--t6nBQ08jc,GVQ~~60_12.JPG

Surely all that would do in the OP's case is reflect heat down into the filter?

They have something similar on the more expensive CAI i have seen and it fits between the filter and engine to reflect heat away and therefore not appplicable to the OP as the original airbox is already there providing that function to a degree

If there is any power gain by installing that filter, and I've played around on dynos enough to make en educated guess there isn't, the gains are eaten up by the hot air and a simple shield isn't likely to help that. If you could find some way to fully enclose it and duct it to outside air...

Don't know what type of EFI system the Kia uses but I would research a way to read IAT (Intake Air Temperature) via the OBDII port. Might be a programmer or some other means. Read the IAT for a few days with the modified setup, bearing in mind that come summer, the underhood will get a LOT hotter down there in Mississippi. Reinstall the original filter and housing and drive around for a while monitoring IAT again and note the differences. If the open setup is substantially hotter then you are actually LOSING power most of the time. It's remotely possible you might gain a little at the high end... 4500-5500 rpm or more... but how often do you rev like that? The hot air will be costing you power down low in everyday driving as well as fooling the EFI. What will happen is that the IAT sensor will be reading a hot temp and the PCM will want make the adjustments for it, but that IAT reading may conflict with another reading from another sensor, such as coolant temp, so the EFI system will be flummoxed and perhaps not make the correct fuel trim adjustments. Not optimal.

Most OEM airbox set ups are already cold air intakes delivering cooler outside-the engine-bay-air-temperatures, if they are not the intake tube before the airbox can be easily modified to be one.

Interesting that if you look at all the car manufacturers that produce muscle cars Like the Boss 302 or Camaro LS1 and faster Ferrari, even Buggati, all still use a airbox type assembly for the very reasons Jim noted above, none use open element in the engine bay configurations.

Put the old one back on. The extra hp you gain when it's floored isn't worth trading mid-throttle power loss
Oem air boxes are designed to optimize velocity. And velocity is way more important than flow.

Listen to Jim! More noise does not mean more power. And how often are you at WOT and need every 1/10 of extra HP?

Its a phase most car guys go through. Hopefully once past your early 20s you'll be better informed.

Quote:
I installed a short ram air intake in my 06 kia optima
That is not a ram air intake. The motion of the car through the air does not ram the air into your intake. You have a nifty little hot air intake, though.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
I installed a short ram air intake in my 06 kia optima 2.4L. and I'm trying to find some way to cover it back up. here is a picture of it (http://imgur.com/Ol7IbHH) . I was wondering if there was any way to close it back up with the bottom of the stock intake box? The stock top is too small. I should have just got a drop in K&N filter, but this was cheaper...And also i'm sorry if this was the wrong place to post this. Thanks in advance.

Honestly, you should just put the whole thing back to stock configuration with a fresh OEM paper filter.

thumbsup2.gif

If you insist on keeping the cone filter, build an insulated selaed box around it, and duct air into the box from the front grill.

It'd be quicker and easier to reinstall the factory airbox with a clean filter - and if you want to feel like you've modified or optimised something, insulate the factory airbox and run insulated ducting from the grill to the box.

I'd go back to the OEM intake, re-route the inlet to a cold air zone if it isn't already.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2577148/Re:_Cold_air_intake,_Circuit_S#Post2577148

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back