delo 400 for race use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
greeting guys, this is my first post. been lurking in forums for sometimes.

i have a new cam ground for a honda D16 1.6L motor with aggressive ramp rate. the cam company call for rotella T but it is not sold in the country. only available is shell rimula 3x which i am not sure if it is the same.

however i can get delo 400 15w-40 and delo silver 20w-50 for decent price. does this oil give enough high rpm protection to the main/rod bearings?

delo silver 20w-50 vs the delo 400 which is better? i live in tropical country so 20w is not a concern here.

Is it possible to get synthetic 5w-40 diesel anything? Or even valvoline vr1 racing oil? The valvoline is a 20w-50 that would suit your needs.

i understand it offer high film strength from the zddp. since it is a diesel oil i am a bit worried about the high rpm protection to the main and rod bearings. this engine will be running on 28-30psi rev to 9krpm making close to 450whp so the bottom end see lots of stress.

motor used to run on the black colored liqui moly MoS2 15w-40 before the aggressive cam install.

rod/main bearings look great after 2 years of race and street use.

Originally Posted By: ericsiewkk
motor used to run on the black colored liqui moly MoS2 15w-40 before the aggressive cam install.

rod/main bearings look great after 2 years of race and street use.

I think the liqui-moly oil you are referring to was a 10w-40.
As far as present choice is concerned and your concern about rpm lets consider that a 0w-40,a 5w-40,a 10w-40 and a 15w-40 are all 40 grades when the oil is at operating temp.
So considering that the last oil used was a 40 grade when hot,and there was a recommendation of using rotella t 15w-40 is a 40 grade when hot you should be fine using any oil with the second value on the bottle being 40.
I suspect the 40 grade recommendation is due to oil temps getting pretty high when spinning at 9000rpm however I'd look at a 30 grade hdeo.
Less parasitic loss and you may get that little bit more "oomph" up top if the oil doesn't require as much power to pump.
And today's 30 grade hdeo's are proving to be very capable and not showing any elevation in wear.
I'd try a 30 grade hdeo personality.

Whats the deal with people all of a sudden saying the diesels oils don't work well in high revving engines lately? We run T6 in nearly all of the local tracked NA & turbo'd BMW's making in excess of 500 whp and I've NEVER seena n oil related failure on these engines.

It's starting to sound like AVSForums, where people just make stuff up to make themselves feel better, and to scare other people into thinking how they think.

Last edited:
We have used Delo 400 15-40 in our sprint car engines for many years, both dry and wet sump applications.Flat tappet cams and rollers and no trouble at all.

Originally Posted By: vssjim
We have used Delo 400 15-40 in our sprint car engines for many years, both dry and wet sump applications.Flat tappet cams and rollers and no trouble at all.

Joe Gibbs people told an automotive engineer friend of mine at the PRI show that before they developed their oils - they broke everything in on Rotella dino. IDK where this 'HDEO is not for performance cars' myth came about all of a sudden, but it needs to disappear.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Originally Posted By: vssjim

Joe Gibbs people told an automotive engineer friend of mine at the PRI show that before they developed their oils - they broke everything in on Rotella dino. IDK where this 'HDEO is not for performance cars' myth came about all of a sudden, but it needs to disappear.

Agreed. Engine builder I know used to use Kendall 15w-40 in his circle and oval track SBC builds and it held up very well. It was what he recommended the guys run in them and it worked. HDEO's are generally extremely robust and handle that kind of abuse very well.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KenO
IDK where this 'HDEO is not for performance cars' myth came about all of a sudden, but it needs to disappear.

I know, it is kind of silly. For guys wanting higher ZDDP, 10w-40 or 20w-50 is no guarantee. So, you have boutiques, VR-1, or HDEOs. And there's nothing wrong with HDEOs. Heck, Mobil specifically recommends Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 for "high performance gasoline applications."

after 5 days running the delo 400. i notice the hot oil pressure is not as good as liqui moly mos2 10w-40.

i used to get 65psi hot with the LM. delo 400 15w-40 im only getting 55psi hot. both measure at 3krpm.

is there any problem?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back