Wax on cheap paint job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I just bought a 1997 Camry, I really like the car but the previous owner had it painted last year with some cheap paint job. I have no idea where but I'm thinking Maaco. It looks alright I guess but water does not bead on it at all and it isn't much of a clear coat, kinda sorta. Should I use some spray wax on it? I don't have the patience for paste wax.

2rlzuwj.jpg

nziqfs.jpg

It's just a good on gas car, and with 185k miles I don't expect much but if I can make it a little better I don't see why not.

I just realized how good it looks in the pictures, hahaha. Up close is where the issues are

May as well not bother with a spray wax. It will be worn off in no time. You need a paste or liquid if you really want to make a difference and have it last for any amount of time.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't have the patience for paste wax.

Nu Finish polish (paste) is very easy & quick to apply.

I second NuFinish. You could also go with the liquid version...
smile.gif

Try it on one panel first, and if it goes on and comes off as one would expect it to, then go for it.

If you're looking for a spray on product that lasts a few months, try Carpro Reload or Hydr02.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Don't use a wax with a cleaner in it.

+1, you dont know how poorly the old paint was prepped, or how poorly the new paint is bonded. Ditto for knowing what the thickness of the paint that was laid down is...

Id top it with something to seal it up and leave it.

Looks like the OP got the old "10 foot" paint job.

Gold camries of that era have notoriously poor paint. My MILs is silver on the horizontal surfaces, gold on the vertical, due to fade.

I seriously doubt that any cleaner wax has enough cut to remove a poor paint job.

My dad had one identical to that except it had a moonroof. Traded it in for another one in 2001. I remember after 5 years the paint was toast. It was garage kept. I lived in a different city so couldn't look after it. The poor paint didn't seem to affect the trade in value at the toyo dealer. The paint job on the 01 seemed much better. A diamond pearl white color.

My aunt has a gold 2002 Accord that's very faded. Bought it new and sits under a car port. Has about 60k miles.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I seriously doubt that any cleaner wax has enough cut to remove a poor paint job.

I'm with you. Maybe the non-clearcoated severely oxidized grey on my LTD many years ago, but that ruined the buffing rag more than the paint.
wink.gif

I'd give it a go with something easy to apply in liquid. I can do my G in under an hour, and could do the same with the Audi when I had it. That's one reason I got rid of giant vehicles.

For a spray Original bike spirits & another sray by wizard works good IMO Much better than nothing. Next wash bugs etc come right off front you can feel the paint feels is coated & much smoother. The Original bike spirirts use to make the Honda polish also but no longer & is abour $5 a can.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I doubt it will remove a poor paint job, but if Maaco shot the car that's what they were recommending only a couple of years ago. I had a van shot by them and they specifically told me not to use a cleaner wax, that it could actually ruin the shine. Take it for what its worth.

I had a van shot by them and they specifically told me not to use a cleaner wax, that it could actually ruin the shine. Take it for what its worth.

Oh Maaco and their blatant misinformation.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Should I use some spray wax on it? I don't have the patience for paste wax.

No patience for a paste wax, I'd be hitting up the local autozone and picking up whatever spray wax they have on sale that day. IMO, no need to be putting a bunch of special order high dollar products on a beat up Maaco paint job that's probably single stage.

I'd give it a once over with Nu-Finsh liquid and call it a day. Any true wax, spray or otherwise, will be very short lived. Seal it once or twice a year with NF.

Lay down a layer of meguiars paste wax then do OFTEN washings and spray wax coatings and you should be golden. My last car had a black maaco job, it was the base/clear coat mix. Meguiars spray wax did a good job keeping it shiny and kept the water beading.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gary031
I had a van shot by them and they specifically told me not to use a cleaner wax, that it could actually ruin the shine. Take it for what its worth.

Oh Maaco and their blatant misinformation.

Blatant misinformation, that could very well be the case. The problem is they also guaranteed their work, and specifically stated if I used a cleaner wax they wouldn't stand by their work. Going into the project I knew I was getting a cheap paint job. I was pleasantly surprised with the results, and years later when I sold the van it still looked good. Now that I think of it over the years I had two beater work vans shot by them, and both times the results were good.

I used a Pure Carnauba Wax with no cleaners, I applied it in the spring and fall.

Blatant misinformation, that could very well be the case. The problem is they also guaranteed their work, and specifically stated if I used a cleaner wax they wouldn't stand by their work. Going into the project I knew I was getting a cheap paint job. I was pleasantly surprised with the results, and years later when I sold the van it still looked good. Now that I think of it over the years I had two beater work vans shot by them, and both times the results were good.

I used a Pure Carnauba Wax with no cleaners, I applied it in the spring and fall.

How would they have known that you used a cleaner wax?
56.gif

If you only used a carnauba wax twice a year, you were probably running without protection for 9 months out of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back