Do you ever see hitchhikers these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillside strangler (two people) kind of killed what was left of it, along with Richard Ramirez, the Night Stalker. I remember hitchhiking changing rather quickly around 1978..1982. (I lived in Orange County, CA, then.)

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: fsskier

2. Snowskiers at the bottom of Loveland pass, Colorado and similar locations. Skis over their shoulders, poles in their hand. If you pick them up and return them to the top you will be entertained with tales of high adventure and open terrain mountain skiing. Surely you have a ski rack on your car, not??

fsskier

Weird, I was going through the rte 302 "notch" in northern New Hampshire, 10pm, not a soul around. (Left my car running for a bathroom break on the shoulder-- that desolate.) Mid-winter. Driving, find a mountain climber guy in full gear frantically waving for me to stop. No thanks!

The frantic waving screamed wierdo. The gear said, competent enough to make it through the night. The hitch-hiking said, poor planning.

Funny you state this. I grew up in the Mt Washington valley in the 1980's and always picked up these hitchhikers in full gear. Many were Appalachian trail hikers.

Although it was very atypical at 10pm. I likely would have stopped.

I worked at the local grocery store in high school. One of my coworkers picked up a random guy in dark clothes on side of road with Alpha Romeo Spider broken down at nite on RT302 in maine. The definition of scary. It turned out to be Stephen King which my coworker introduced me to when the author was shopping.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: crinkles
Yes, with their boyfriends hiding behind a tree so they're more likely to get a ride. Pull over and the guy runs up.

Yeah, that'd be just my luck, even if I did spot a Nicole Kidman lookalike at the side of the road.

Did I mention the time that I picked up a hitchhiker and went missing for three days ?

Oh yeah, I did...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Someone asked if hitching was popular before the late 1960's & hippies etc.

I would say very popular. Dad said he hitched back/forth from Texarkana to Houston for college holidays, until the car that picked him up one day had a bad wreck while he was asleep in the back seat. He was badly injured himself and lost his athletic scholarship over that(1940's) & needed no more rides to Houston. He also hitched several times while in the Army. My uncle, in the mid 1950's, used to hitch from Texarkana(& later, Winfield, LA) to Arlington, TX & back before he finally got into his real choice- West Point.
grin2.gif

As a boy, whenever I was with Dad & the whole family wasn't in the car, he would always stop for a serviceman in uniform. I remember several soldiers, a Marine, & at least one sailor in full uniform. When I went to SFA in the early 70's it was common to see students hitching along the way.

I used to pick up hitchers often, but stopped about 20 years ago. We're sort of off the main tracks here, & don't see that many locally.

Last edited:
when ever I saw some one walking on the freeway ( day time only ), I alway thinking give them a lift, but my gf alway say " remember that movie we was watching ", I keep on driving
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: crinkles
Yes, with their boyfriends hiding behind a tree so they're more likely to get a ride. Pull over and the guy runs up.

Yeah, that'd be just my luck, even if I did spot a Nicole Kidman lookalike at the side of the road.

Did I mention the time that I picked up a hitchhiker and went missing for three days ?

Oh yeah, I did...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

NSFW/NSFBITOG???

Well, it sounds like if I ever find myself in a situation that requires me to hitch a ride, I should probably put on my sign that I'm a member of BITOG.

Might have a better chance of getting someone to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back