Champion labs responded to my email

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see some still don't understand why a anti-drain back valve is beneficial for an engine.

It has 2 purposes; 1. It keeps dirty oil in the filer after the engine is shut down by preventing flow back-wards. 2. It stops oil in the upper lifter galleys from draining back down the lowest point, the oil pan. This means when you start the vehicle, about 1 qt +/1 has been trapped above the oil filter and will be reaching the lifters a second or 2 sooner than it would if it was all down in the pan. Result, quieter engines. Noisy lifters at start up can almost always be helped by using a filter with a ADBV.

Does it hurt anything, NO. Quality filters will have these as well as oil by-pass valves. They are there as a extra measure of protection for uninterrupted oil flow to the engine and to protect the engine should the filterer become restricted etc. Whats more important, ensuring oil flow or filtering all oil at the expense of losing an engine from restriction in the filter.

[ October 12, 2003, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

The ADBV may keep oil above the filter, but it is not a quart.......at least in SBC's it isn't. Probably more like 4-6 oz. If it were a quart, then it would throw the dipstick mark off quite a bit when changing between a 1218 and a 35L, which it didn't on my camaro when I switched.

quote:

It has 2 purposes; 1. It keeps dirty oil in the filer after the engine is shut down by preventing flow back-wards.

I keep seeing this recurring statement time after time. This doesn't make sense to me.

Why would I care if dirty oil returned to the IDENTICAL dirty oil that was in the pan? That is (effectively), "The ADBV prevents the dirty oil in the filter from co-mingling with the EXACT same condition oil in the pan ...which it just came from. Therefore, since we're a progressive society we can't let anything devolve or go backwards....". The ADBV is merely an abritrary divider in the middle of one continous stream of oil. One drop is exactly the same on either side of it.

I believe that the ADBV's purpose is to prevent embedded particles from being backflushed into the pan "en mass".

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Exactly my point sbc! One thing about the ADBV....my filters is set vertically....why do they manufacture the filters with this thing if the oil will never drain back....is there any other GM application where the ST 3675's ADBV might be needed?
Good post.
Rick
I asked that question once before. As it was explained to me........if there is no ADBV, then oil above the filter, will seep back through the filter and into the pan (although the filter will remain full......sort of like a plumbing trap under a sink). So supposedly, using an adbv will allow oil to be pumped quicker, as some oil will remain above the filter after shutdown.
dunno.gif

Well their are plenty of filters that do not use steel end caps, that do not completely bond the filter media to the end caps etc.....I think this is why they consider it premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back