ALS Analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As part of my BND oil purchase, I paid for a prepaid sample kit.

After I pulled the sample, looked at the lab, and thought to myself, I've never heard of this company.

I was going to forget about the money already spent and send the sample to blackstone. Wish i had thought about it and pulled two samples
frown.gif

Has anybody heard of ALS? Are they reputable? Can I split the sample and send it to both labs? If so, just shake it up real good before splitting it?

I got sucked into the BND oil sales pitch, and will post the results as soon as they come back. It will be another year before I can post the next sample for comparison with M1-E

Well I have never heard of them myself, but keep in mind that major labs like Polaris offer a private label option to companies willing to buy a few thousand sample kits. That is what OAI is. Amsoil contracts with Polaris to provide the reports and have the report say "OAI" rather than Polaris, but the format is the same as Polaris.

I myself do not think Blackstone is the lab to compare against.

ALS Tribiology also is the company that test samples for the Wix oil analysis kits that are prepaid.

I've used ALS for over two years for a total of 6 tests of oil from my
Can Am. They cover everything that Blackstone does except contamination of fuel
in the oil (I think Blackstone does this?), and they include TBN, no extra charge for it.

As to how they compare technically with others, I have no way of knowing. I would
have to believe that since WIX and Napa sell their sample kits they have to be
a reputable company.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tc1446
I've used ALS for over two years for a total of 6 tests of oil from my
Can Am. They cover everything that Blackstone does except contamination of fuel
in the oil (I think Blackstone does this?), and they include TBN, no extra charge for it.

As to how they compare technically with others, I have no way of knowing. I would
have to believe that since WIX and Napa sell their sample kits they have to be
a reputable company.

But fuel in the oil is important for many new DI engines.

What about oxidation and nitration?

Should I even bother with Blackstone then?

I was concerned that ALS had some relationship with BND other than selling the kits.

This may help. Mikeysoft recently had the oil tested on his 2013 Honda Accord by 3 labs, ALS, CAT, and Blackstone, scroll down for the results: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3044859/2

All of the numbers line up quite well, in my opinion, except for Aluminum. ALS and CAT had ppm similar to each other but significantly higher than Blackstone.

I've been using ALS (through WIX) for my last 4 oil samples and have no complaints.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I believe Molakule uses ALS quite often. Maybe you should ask him about pros and cons.

ALS is a good analysis company.

They seem to be a bit slower than Blackstone, but they also seem to be accurate. They do charge extra for sulfur analysis but it seems everyone is charging extra for sulfur analysis.

Both Blackstone and ALS have performed well for me.

ok then!

I'll get the sample of BND oil off in the next few days and post the results when I get them. In approximately 12 months we'll be able to compare those results to M1 extended
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back