Valvoline syntec 1 yr/10,000 interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Corollaman
Is anyone using Valvoline Syntec

Is this a blend of Valvoline Synpower and Castrol Syntec?
smile.gif

My bad, I meant Valvoline Synpower. With my coupon I can get the 5 quart jug for $17, was wondering if it can compete with the Toyota Synthetic that cost me $30+ for 5 quarts. Thanks

Welcome Corollaman!
welcome2.gif

Synpower is a very good synthetic but I'm not sure I'd use it for 1-year / 10K-miles without doing some shorter intvervals first and getting UOAs. With that said, I ran Synpower 5W-20 in our VUE once for an 8K-mile interval and it did just fine. TBN was low at 1.8 at the end but wear metals were still very low.

But if I were going to run an extended interval without being informed by UOAs, I would probably pick Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Castrol Edge Extended Performance, or something that it marketed for extended intervals.
49.gif

ANY MAJOR SYN can do 1y/10k OCI's, barring race/track use, highly modified engines, extremely dirty engines.

Synpower seems to be slightly reformulated and keeping its TBN longer, so yes I would use it in any of my cars shown (if they were out of warranty).

Depends on the engine and use...to your specific question, no, I am not using it for extended drain.

That said, our '06 Corolla is pretty easy on oil. Spotless inside the engine. It gets whatever oil I can find on sale. I find that it wears the front tires quickly, however, and I am teaching its young driver the importance of regular maintenance (she is good about this, by the way) so I stick to the 5,000 miles OCI. That's when the light comes on (thus reinforcing the good habit) and that's when it's time to rotate the tires.

I have a stash of 5w20 synpower that I have run in my Tundra. Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: barlowc

Synpower is a very good synthetic but I'm not sure I'd use it for 1-year / 10K-miles without doing some shorter intvervals first and getting UOAs. With that said, I ran Synpower 5W-20 in our VUE once for an 8K-mile interval and it did just fine. TBN was low at 1.8 at the end but wear metals were still very low.

Read that even though the tbn is usually low on the synpower it usually has great wear numbers as a trend due to the high sodium add pack, as well as the NAPA syn. Any thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back