Mobil 102 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I've always run a filter with one but I think I may not be needing to. The Vauxhall oil filter part # is 93156954N and FRAM PH4722, MANN W712/22 and WIX WL7129 are cross referenced to that.

How difficult would it be for you to get a hold on on original Vauxhall or two (i.e. to cut at least one open) or to get in touch with someone there [who isn't a ninny] and can tell you more about the filter? Or, do you have a factory service manual?

I agree with Jim that if anyone were to use a filter without a bypass in a bypass-required application, it's probably best if it were you. But, I still wouldn't want to see something rotten happen.

We have enough of an international membership on this board that surely someone might have an idea of whom to contact or how to find out.

I just think it's dangerous to run a filter without any kind of bypass valve. Hard to say what would happen if the delta-p became much more than the filter's designed bypass pressure. Chances are it could take it, but if the filter started imploding and/or tearing up media because there was no bypass valve, then it just goes down hill from there. You'd never know if the filter is being damaged or not until it was too late.

In the past, a lot of GM V8 guys would disable the filter bypass valve in the block so there was no filter bypass. It wasn't always a good idea ... just sayin'.
whistle.gif

I agree, if the car specs one, it's likely a good idea. If the Vauxhaul is the original and X's to the 51040 which doesn't, he should be fine.

Caterham, can you find out if the engine has a filter bypass?

After doing a fair bit of research this is what I've found.
The spec' OEM GM filter is 85 mm long, has a metric M18-1.5 thread and doesn't contain a relief valve and as far as I can tell the engine doesn't have or need one.

Caterham modified the engine for use in it's cars so that a shorter 59 mm (2.4") motorcycle type filter (UFI 23.118.00) was used with their bespoke shallow dry sump and that filter contains a 10 psi relief valve. This was necessary for ground clearance purposes. That filter is only available with a 3/4-16 UNF thread so the metric thread adapter was replaced with a 3/4-16 UNF one.
While the short filter is the only one spec'd by Caterham a longer 85mm filter can be used in wet sump applications without unduly increasing the striking hazard (the sump is still the lowest part of the engine).
As it turns out virtually all currently available filters in the 85-89mm length that will fit with the 3/4 -16 thread have a relief valve.

I have found one filter, BOSCH 0451103110, that doesn't have a relief valve but it has been discontinued and most America made filters don't have a cross-reference to it.
So it would seem, the only option left if I want to use the OEM filter without the relief valve is to replace the 3/4-16 oil filter adapter with a M18x1.5 metric one. I might be able to order the part from a Vauxhall tuner in the UK if I can't source the part over here.
Below is a picture of the part (scroll down to the third item from the bottom of the page):
http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/qed-shop/vauxhall-xe-c20xe/lubrication/Page-2-20

Does anyone has an idea where a M18x1.5 adapter can be sourced here?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I just think it's dangerous to run a filter without any kind of bypass valve. Hard to say what would happen if the delta-p became much more than the filter's designed bypass pressure. Chances are it could take it, but if the filter started imploding and/or tearing up media because there was no bypass valve, then it just goes down hill from there. You'd never know if the filter is being damaged or not until it was too late.

In the past, a lot of GM V8 guys would disable the filter bypass valve in the block so there was no filter bypass. It wasn't always a good idea ... just sayin'.
whistle.gif

Agreed 100% with this.

CATERHAM, I think this is your pump (or very close)

oilpump.jpg

The relief to the sump seems pretty clear, the one on the right, and the shallow casting that seems to direct the oil down, and inward.

The drilling on the left looks suspiciously like a filter bypass. The casting is "swelled", which would indicate extra material for a machining step.

Oil flows left along the passage, then makes a right angle turn down, through the port on the filter location at about 3:00.

Does the filter thing, then back up the middle, and what looks like a port about 11:00, which should feed the gallery.

I'd bet my left one that if you take the LHS pulg out, there will be a light spring and plunger...filter bypass.

Thanks Shannow, I think you're right.

So I will be replacing the 3/4-16 UNF filter adapter and try to source the OEM metric one so that I can start using the "proper" filter without the valve at the bottom of the can.

If you look at an exploded parts view of the pump, I think the bypass is actually the piece to the right of the filter adapter threads in the above pic. It shows nothing behind the large plug on the left.

Either way, it does seem to have a filter bypass and a 51040 should not present undue risk.

I think you are right cp3. . The plugs are necessary because the housing was drilled for the pump inlet and outlet.The filter inlet is to the left of the threaded adapter.The relief valve is at the three oclock position.

I've been told there is nothing behind the port plug above the filter.
So that circular "valve" to the left of the adapter IS the by-pass valve. On my car it has unfortunately been replaced with a solid metal insert.
So it looks like I will have to stick with a filter containing a by-pass valve unless I replace the oil pump with an OEM unmodified one.

Back to oil filters, Motorcraft has their by-pass valve on top
of the element rather than at the bottom of the can like most.
Are they the only ones that construct their filters that way or are there others?

Wix 51348XP has synthetic media and the by-pass valve integrated between the ADBV and the cartridge.

Are there any other filter brands using glass media that have a similar by-pass valve arrangement to WIX? I don't think Amsoil, RP or Fram Ultra do?

Back to oil filters, Motorcraft has their by-pass valve on top of the element rather than at the bottom of the can like most. Are they the only ones that construct their filters that way or are there others?

So based on the photo of the oil pump and filter mount, looks like the filter is basically vertical with base up. I would think you could find a Motorcraft filter that would fit onto the mount and work if you want a base end bypass valve setup.

Wix is one of the few manufacturers that use the base end bypass, Motorcraft specs that in their filters but I don't believe Purolator uses it in any of their own. If others do they are likely not easy to find up here.

Even with your high VI fill and careful warm-up I think the 1348 is safer choice. I don't know how much trouble you have getting a Wix but RockAuto has good prices if you want to buy a few at a time and the NAPA filters are made by Wix. The Platinum 41348 would be the match for the XP.

Hi cp3.

Now I know that the Caterham modified oil pump doesn't have a filter by-pass I'm not really interested in using a filter without one. With the WIX by-pass at the base end of their filter that achieves the net effect of the OEM design anyway.

No problem getting a WIX 51348XP locally for $13.46 plus tax.
RockAuto is only $7.88 but shipping is $11.50 = $19.38. Ordering 2 is $28.39 which is slightly cheaper.

The NAPA PFL 41348 US price is $12.49 and I don't if NAPA Canada is carrying the Platnium range of filters yet.

CATERHAM said:
I would think you could find a Motorcraft filter that would fit onto the mount and work if you want a base end bypass valve setup.

If Motorcraft made a filter in the same size as the WIX 51348 I'd consider it but I can't find a cross reference.

I would think you could find a Motorcraft filter that would fit onto the mount and work if you want a base end bypass valve setup.

If Motorcraft made a filter in the same size as the WIX 51348 I'd consider it but I can't find a cross reference.

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Wix/51348

MOTORCRAFT EFL910
MOTORCRAFT FL 793
MOTORCRAFT FL 910
MOTORCRAFT FL 910S

Ya shipping gets us for sure. If you need a bunch of light stuff like a few oil filters and air filters for two or three cars it works out well.
I'm pretty sure that the local NAPA had Platinums last time I was there.

Myself I would think that the Morotcraft and regular Wix would be pretty close. If you're not set on getting a synthetic media I would just go with whichever of those you can find at the best price. Have never used a Motorcraft myself but the Wix is pretty solid filter. I have a post of a cut open 51348 here.

Nope, NAPA Canada doesn't carry the Platinum filters yet.
Carguest also sell WIX 51348 for $4.99 under their brand like NAPA (says WIX on the can as well) but don't carry the synthetic XP version.

Barton Auto in Hamilton carry WIX 51348XP for $12.22 which is a tad cheaper than Rockauto and I don't have to buy two filters.

Regarding the by-pass valve in the OEM oil pump housing, any idea how it's inserted in the pump; screwed in or perhaps a press fit?
Just pondering the idea of getting a used pump from a '99-'02 Daewoo Nubira (if that's even possible), removing the by-pass valve and metric adapter and installing them in my oil pump.

Regarding the by-pass valve in the OEM oil pump housing, any idea how it's inserted in the pump; screwed in or perhaps a press fit?

Based on the photo below, it looks like there are removable caps on both places that might have a spring loaded valve (bypass and pump pressure relief).

oilpump.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back