BP/Amoco Ultimate 93 gasoline refined differently

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by someone who recently researched BP/Amoco Ultimate 93 octane gasoline, that the BP/Amoco Ultimate 93 octane gasoline during it's 'distillation", is run through the cracking tower twice, whereas most gasolines were only run through the cracking tower once.

can anyone verify this or have a link on this info?

I have read a quote from a supposed gasoline truck dispatcher who states that all gas is basically the exact same barring the additives (and that even those are not regulated) EXCEPT for Amoco 93. He does not elaborate on it any further nor do I know if it is for real but it doesnt sound far fetched.

I have only a very basic understanding of the refining process, but this sounds unlikely.
Gasoline is a blend of various fractions, AFAIK.

I suspect that it's made from more than just one cut of the refining output. 100 octane unleaded racing gas is something that is extremely expensive to make. 93 octane tends not to be double the price of regular like 100 octane. I would guess that it's really just considered blended from parts of the normal refining stream, although probably some parts that go through more processing.

Again, I found this tutorial on refining. P. 27 has a pretty good breakdown of the types of fuel that can be blended into gasoline.

http://www.theicct.org/sites/default/files/publications/ICCT05_Refining_Tutorial_FINAL_R1.pdf

It says the reformate output is 20-30% and should have about a 92.5 octane rating. They might run it again to separate the higher octane rating fractions.

Originally Posted By: smokeyfan1000
I was told by someone who recently researched BP/Amoco Ultimate 93 octane gasoline, that the BP/Amoco Ultimate 93 octane gasoline during it's 'distillation", is run through the cracking tower twice, whereas most gasolines were only run through the cracking tower once.

And even if so, what would be the benefit to the consumer?

Very doubtful. In NC gas comes up in the same pipeline. The trucks then add their additive/cleaning package to the tanker load.
Costco, as an example, gets their gas from the pipeline and then they add their Kirkland Signature magic.
The BP Amoco Ultimate would have to be trucked in a long distance which would drive the price up. I can't imagine it would be any better than Costco 93 but it would certainly be a lot more expensive.

Can someone explain why when I ran any other brand of gasoline, it carboned up the backside of my Harley's intake valves, yet when I ran a tank (5 gallons) of Amoco Ultimate 93 in my HD motorcycle, the carbon on the valves was cleaned off.

I tried this test with all brands of gas available in my area.
Amoco Ultimate 93 always left no deposits, whereas all other brands did. And the Amoco Ultimate 93 always cleaned off the other brands deposits too.

You don't put gasoline through a cracker to refine it and make it more pure. You distill gasoline and other components from oil. If you want have too much of one component, you crack it to make another. If you crack gasoline, you are making it into something else.

All I know is when I use anything other than the BP/Amoco 93 octane in my 1991 airhead Beemer, it does not run as smoothly, or have the precise throttle response that it does on the BP/Amoco fuel. Especially noticable when the air temp is above 90F. The C-Store attendant at the station does not even know if it contains ethanol. So info is scarce.

yes, what you hear is correct. It is why their gas is more clear and they advertised it as such when it was just amoco.

Back in the old days--60's-70's BP used to be Amoco, Amoco used to be called American Gas. (I still accidentially call it Amoco--drives my wife nuts because she doesn't know what I'm talking about) was clear unleaded, and was called 'white gas', was always the most expensive gas you could buy. They used a separate pipeline to transfer it to keep it clear. Doubtful that separate pipe is used today.
BP 93 is the only gas which goes into my Corvettes--I've tried all the rest. Shell comes in a close second as far as throttle response goes

Originally Posted By: steve20
Back in the old days--60's-70's BP used to be Amoco (I still accidentially call it Amoco--drives my wife nuts because she doesn't know what I'm talking about)

HA! I do the same thing with my two sons who have not been driving for very long.
My older one always asks WHAT I am talking about when I ask, "Did you fill up at the Amoco?".
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Back in the old days--60's-70's BP used to be Amoco (I still accidentially call it Amoco--drives my wife nuts because she doesn't know what I'm talking about)

HA! I do the same thing with my two sons who have not been driving for very long.
My older one always asks WHAT I am talking about when I ask, "Did you fill up at the Amoco?".
lol.gif

I know old guys that still call it Standard!!

Bought some yesterday for .109/gal.
We had a bunch of BP points and they doubled them for the holiday weekend.
I'll have to see whether I can detect any change in fuel economy using this stuff in the '12 Accord.
I don't expect to.

Originally Posted By: steveh
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

lol.gif

I know old guys that still call it Standard!!

Grew up a half a block from a Standard station. Their claim to fame was the "Final Filter" which was mounted on the fuel hose, near the pump's handle. They were always a penny higher than the Phillips 66 across the street. But when gas was 20¢ a gallon, that penny represents 5% more profits. A virtual windfall when compared to today's prices.

I'm not sure about the refining process but I know my I35 seems to run the smoothest and get the best mileage on Amoco/BP 93.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back