Best oil for a 09 Subaru Legacy Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

I recently removed the DPF and the catalytic converter from my car, so I can use a high ZDDP oil now or a good mixture. Here's some of what is available here :

- Castrol
- Liquimoly
- Mobil1 (not sure)
- Total
- BP

Any recommendations ?

A flat 4 diesel? Hope they can keep head gaskets better than the gas flat 4s here.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
A flat 4 diesel? Hope they can keep head gaskets better than the gas flat 4s here.

130.000Km now, so far so good.

HG's haven't been an issue on the Subaru boxer 4's since about 2008.

Liqui Moly would be my first choice out of that group of oils, Castrol my second choice. Both do well in the Pumpe Duese version (up to model yr 2006) of Volkswagen's TDI (diesel) which needed a very strong oil due to the high loading on the cam which drives the unit injectors per cylinder. You don't mention Pentosin, but if it is available in your region it would be an equivalent choice to the Liqui Moly.

Originally Posted By: Khaled4WD
Hi everyone.

I recently removed the DPF and the catalytic converter from my car, so I can use a high ZDDP oil now or a good mixture. Here's some of what is available here :

- Castrol
- Liquimoly
- Mobil1 (not sure)
- Total
- BP

Any recommendations ?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

They were not a problem in the UK/Europe except in the usual suspects of cars which were neglected.

Is the difference that UK models are Made in Japan and US models are made in the USA?

The flat four diesel is a nice smooth engine. A bit lacking in low end grunt but a nice smooth engine once they fixed the initial running issues, flat spots i believe was the most significant from memory.

Must admit i would be looking at Mobil 1 NewLife 0w40.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Couldn't you import one yourself from say Germany or Belgium?
The process is so expensive, that it doesn't make sense to do that with a common family car.

The only cars found outside the USA that get imported regularly are R34 GT-Rs and Porsche 959s, AFAIK.

Recently I had a major engine failure : broken crankshaft + cracked engine block...

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

They were not a problem in the UK/Europe except in the usual suspects of cars which were neglected.

Is the difference that UK models are Made in Japan and US models are made in the USA?

The flat four diesel is a nice smooth engine. A bit lacking in low end grunt but a nice smooth engine once they fixed the initial running issues, flat spots i believe was the most significant from memory.

Must admit i would be looking at Mobil 1 NewLife 0w40.

The 2.5 may not have HG issues after 2008.
I hope not, since we have a 2009.
The HG failures had nothing to do with maintenance and everything to do with an engine design stetched to its limits.
Country of manufacture is not an issue, since the Legacy line cars were and are built at a plant in Indiana while the Impreza based cars are built in Japan.
Our Forester, for example, was built in the land of the rising sun.
I recently bought a '99 Legacy L AWD wagon for cheap, but only because the owner was a Subaru guy (he has seven others, including an STI and a WRX) and only because it had the 2.2.
I suspect that the OP is only teasing us in America, since the diesel Subaru is as available to us as is the diesel Accord.

I'm going to rebuild my boxer diesel engine in the next couple of weeks (new engine block, crankshaft, main bearing, piston rings)

What oil should I use for break in period ? there isn't much of a choice here :

Castrol (10w60 ?)
Liqui-Moly
BP
Total

What about using motorbike oil like Castrol Power Racing 10w40 ?

Some mail exchange with liqui-molly about their Synthoil oils :

-----------------------------------------

Dear Khaled *******

Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in Liqui Moly products.

The ZDDP content of our Synthoil oils is 900 - 1100 ppm.
Due to environmental provisions can the ZDDP content not be higher.

-HTHS number:

Synthoil Energy 0W-40, Synthoil Longtime 0W-30, Synthoil High Tech 5W-40 and Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60 = > 3.5 mPa.s

Synthoil Longtime Plus 0W-30 = > 2,9 < 3,5 mPa.s

Should you have any further questions, please contact us.

Best regards

i. A. Roman Göser
Anwendungstechniker

Hello Mr Goeser and thanks to you.

- Are the Synthoil lubricants group 4 or group 5 oils ?
- Do you have offroad or racing oils with higher ZDDP levels intended to be used where no environmental regulations are applied ?

Regards.

Khaled *******

Dear Khaled *******

Our Synthoil Lubricants are all group 4 oils on PAO base.

We don´t have any oil with a higher ZDDP content. For a better wear protection we use special EP-additives (Extrem Pressure).
Because this additives are better for the exhaust system (catalyst converter) and for the environment.

Best regards

i. A. Roman Göser
Anwendungstechniker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back