2014 Jeep Wrangler Red Line? 5-20 or 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that the last of the "bad heads" where used in June 2012. They apparently resolved the casting issues and made improvements to the head. Stick with the 5w20 and use a Chrysler approved oil. I gave a list of good oils in one of my earlier post in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Nomad110
I understood that the head ticking issue was solved in 2013. I didn't hear that the issue was the oil. So all I have gathered so far is that RedLine is appropriate for the JK but jury is still out on 5-20 or 5-30. I think we all pretty much agree that the lack of MS-6395 call out is not a factor is choosing a premium synthetic since not a single preimum synthetic oil (Mobile 1, RedLine, Royal Purple, etc) shows compliance. Right?

The 2013s are too new to really tell long term, but I have been on off roading adventures with people that have 2013 wranglers spec'd for 5w-20. The engines held together pretty well. Idling along for an hour with the A/C on building up heat, then running foot to the floor through a mud pit.

I don't imagine any modern engine (especially something as new as the Pentastar) wouldn't be okay on 5w-20.

I understood that the head ticking issue was solved in 2013. I didn't hear that the issue was the oil. So all I have gathered so far is that RedLine is appropriate for the JK but jury is still out on 5-20 or 5-30. I think we all pretty much agree that the lack of MS-6395 call out is not a factor is choosing a premium synthetic since not a single preimum synthetic oil (Mobile 1, RedLine, Royal Purple, etc) shows compliance. Right?

There are plenty of synthetic oils that list MS-6395 either right on the bottle or on the PDS. QSUD, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, Valvoline Synpower, Amsoil, just to name a few.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

There are plenty of synthetic oils that list MS-6395 either right on the bottle or on the PDS. QSUD, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, Valvoline Synpower, Amsoil, just to name a few.

Maybe I've been brainwashed to think that RedLine and Royal Purple are the pinnacle of oils and maybe you can prove me wrong. But alright, so which of these oils that have the MS-6395 is the best for my application.

If you can get Pennzoil Ultra at your local walmart, you can't beat it for about $27 a jug. Will give similar or better performance than boutique oils at a much lower cost if bought at that price.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you can get Pennzoil Ultra at your local walmart, you can't beat it for about $27 a jug. Will give similar or better performance than boutique oils at a much lower cost if bought at that price.

Spare me the economic reasons...I want to know the best oil in a proven way. Cut to the chase with data and experience.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
There is no best oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1664795#Post1664795

If money is no object like i think you may have meant, just get the Amsoil signature series and dump it at the maximum specified interval.

Some data can be found in here for 5w30s.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g3115.pdf

If you haven't seen the VOA's of all the 5w30 synthetics i can share that with you.

http://pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Excellent, I'm sold on the Amsoil Sig. 5-20 or 5-30?

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

Maybe I've been brainwashed to think that RedLine and Royal Purple are the pinnacle of oils and maybe you can prove me wrong. But alright, so which of these oils that have the MS-6395 is the best for my application.

You have been. At least for your application.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

There is a design flaw in the engine. 5w-20 cools the left head better and stops the left head from ticking.

Can you show me a link where Chrysler states that? Or is it just opinions from message boards that you're basing that on? Thanks

ASFAIK Chrysler improved coolant flow through through the head and beefed up the valve guides. I haven't read anywhere where oil was the issue. Also in 2013 IIRC they only gave the choice of 5W20. In 2014 they make mention of 5W30. I don't think anyone other than Chrysler's engineers know the real reason for why the heads were failing, or if they even have the right fix yet.

Nice ride OP drive it in good health!

Okay well I'm ordering, Amsoil 5-20 signature series. I'm surprised you guys weren't more opinionated about this engine but I guess these modern engines will run on anything well. While I'm at it I am going to order front and rear severe gear diff fluid from Amsoil. I am also going to order ATF and the synchromesh 5-30 Amsoil sells for the transfer case and manual 6 speed respectively. Any objections? I figured its best to get that swamp water the factory uses out of these components.

Okay well I'm ordering, Amsoil 5-20 signature series. I'm surprised you guys weren't more opinionated about this engine but I guess these modern engines will run on anything well. While I'm at it I am going to order front and rear severe gear diff fluid from Amsoil. I am also going to order ATF and the synchromesh 5-30 Amsoil sells for the transfer case and manual 6 speed respectively. Any objections? I figured its best to get that swamp water the factory uses out of these components.

No objections at all, but make sure you sign up using #515729. BITOG Amsoil sponsor. And for sure do the Preferred Customer (PC) and save ~25%.

Hey guys,

I really use the Jeep in extremely cold and hot environments off road and slow speed so the engine gets hot. I would really like to get the best oil for this Jeep. Starting in 2013 the manual started to call for 5-20 but I feel that is only to improve the gas millage for the CAFE standards.

The Red Line oil website doesn't specifically state compliance with the MS-6395 but I know that neither does Mobil 1 and obviously tens of thousands of users have been using Mobil 1 for ever. So my question to you experts is, should I use RedLine motor oil? Should I use 5-30 or 5-20? What provides the best protection and longevity for the engine? Thank you!

You don't really know though, and until you can quantify coolant and oil temps it's all supposition. Coolant and oil temps in modern engines are very well managed in fact. Quite often there is already an oil cooler installed. The simple fact is that oil temps don't typically climb into problem areas unless you're making power for prolonged periods of time. This means lots of throttle for a long time.

The best thing for you and your Jeep is to be aware. Too many people wander through life and have no idea that their cars require more than gas and the occasional oil change. Lack of regularly scheduled maintenance has a cumulative (negative) affect on vehicle and it's powertrain.

The flip side of the coin is that over maintaining really won't get you that much more life and in some cases can have a slightly negative impact.

The bottom line is if you're that worried, get some gauges, log some data, do a few uoa's to track oil condition and to a lessor extent engine condition and then you'll KNOW if you need to change your oil brand or grade. Personally, I'd be surprised if you actually need to.

I have an aeroforce interceptor installed so I know my oil temp and coolant. Oil temp is roughly between 190-200 F and Coolant is around 200-230 F. The truck seems to modulate the temps very efficiently and warms up these temps and holds them no matter what the conditions. Seems hot to me but apparently these penstars run hot for emission purposes.

Those temps are fine, no need to worry. Nothing special (other than spec lubes) are required.

I am joining the thread late but will add a few comments FWIW...

You have forgotten one important "oil factor" regarding warranty requirements for your 2014 Jeep and that is API Certification. API Cert matters just as much as the mfg's oil spec. Neither Redline nor Amsoil SS carry it and thus neither is warranty acceptable. It is a big deal to car mfg's so don't listen to anyone who says it doesn't matter. It does. Car mfg's check into what you do for maintenance and verify you did it right. More so these days than at any time I have ever seen in the past( even when I worked in the auto field for many years including time in dealer parts/service ).

If there are no dealer records of OC's( we are talking about oil here so that is what matters )and you have internal engine issues you will be required to provide receipts showing you did enough OC's, with the correct weight/rated oil AND used the correct filter, to cover the time/mileage you have had the vehicle for. If you can't provide it then they are going to say sorry no coverage. Don't listen to those who say otherwise and don't risk it unless you are prepared to pay for the repair yourself and/or get into a long drawn out legal process where you may or may not get a judgment in your favor.

For your 2014 Wrangler use any quality conventional, blend, or synthetic oil you want in 5W20( no one in the US can claim they had no 5W20 available to them so forget about 5W30 )that is API Certified w/ Starburst, and that meets Chrysler MS6395 and be sure you do not go longer on your OC's than 1 year or 10,000 miles( whichever comes 1st ). Also use the correct oil filter by application( don't oversize ). Simple to do and no warranty hassle. If you do your own OC's, or buy the parts and have it changed, keep ALL receipts that show what you used and be sure and record mileage and date so you can prove you did things right.

Redline is GREAT oil but none of it carries API Certification and thus it does not met warranty. Amsoil is also GREAT stuff but only their XL and OE lines will meet your warranty needs. If Amsoil is what you want to run get the XL. It is their best oil that meets all of your needs. If you like Royal Purple their API oils are also excellent and would be a good choice( I run their 5W20 API in my Jeep and it has done very well including the UOA I had done ).

I wouldn't use the Amsoil universal ATF in your t-case. Not that it won't work but once again warranty requirements are an issue. Their universal ATF may well work in place of ATF+4 just as RP's MaxATF does but just like MaxATF it won't satisfy the warranty. You need to use an ATF+4 fluid that is ONLY ATF+4. You are just giving Chrysler an out if problems do happen. I don't know what to tell you on the 6spd manual tranny fluid. Not sure what is a direct replacement for Chrysler manual trans fluid( MS-9224 )? The Amsoil stuff may or may not meet the requirements? If the Chrysler stuff is a specific fluid type though once again running a universal fluid that covers what you need does not meet warranty.

If warranty is of any concern to you be sure you check off all of the boxes not just a couple. You don't have to use OEM fluids and parts but you need to use the correct fluids and parts. Universal fluids do not meet warranty requirements.

Enjoy the new ride.

I have an aeroforce interceptor installed so I know my oil temp and coolant. Oil temp is roughly between 190-200 F and Coolant is around 200-230 F. The truck seems to modulate the temps very efficiently and warms up these temps and holds them no matter what the conditions. Seems hot to me but apparently these penstars run hot for emission purposes.

Those are VERY mild temps IME. Not hot at all.

Note carefully what NHHemi said above as it is sadly true. While some fancy lawer-in up may eventually help, the stealerships can stall your claim a LONG time if you have no documentation on a CERTIFIED oil.

As long as you have deep pockets and unlimited time then run whatever you like. But if you have an issue you'd better be prepared...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back