Rear Derailleur Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to install rear derailleur on moutain bike - Moongoose. I ordered a new derailleur (of course didn't take a picture of how the old was on there). I have this little screw with a 1/4 of the washer cut in half (suppose to be) but I can't figure out where to put it. When I hang it on the axle it pushes everything out too far. I think I'm half mechanical (maybe not!), but doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

All the youtube videos are for easy installs of fancy shimano derailleurs - no half cut washers like mine.

Here is a picture of the derailleur. You can see the half cut washer there.
edit

The cut washer is an axle spacer. Take the wheel off. Place the spacer on the derailleur loosely. Then slide the spacer into the axle dropout. Align the derailleur so that the axle can slides in. Tighten the screw to hold the derailleur. Then put on the wheel.

I did have it really loose as you can see in the pic, but it doesn't seem to fit past the axel dropout -thickness of metal. (is that the piece of metal there beneath the two holes). I have two other bikes in the garage and both have holes that accomodate that half washer, this doesn't.

So fit that half washer in behind the axel dropout metal piece. I did see where the half cut washer fits on top of a nut on the axle, I figured that it sat on there somehow seeing that it didn't have a specific 'cut out' for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back