Nissan Altima 2000 model Overheating,Ash/milky oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car just began overH. The temp gauge fail,I fix this the other day,the the radiator was replace with double cell from Maxima 90 since the single cell on the car is burst on top cover. Now the oil is ash / milky in colour on check. I fire it on a ride of about 12Km but oil not clean. Now it fails to start,water gush ou with bubble from radiator at starting.Im confused.Anyone to help me out in the house?
Ohhhh! Earlier i heard a strange noise from arround the engine cover near timming chain, but it stops after overheating problem. Ohhhhhhhh! What do i do?

Milky oil means you have a head gasket failure. The coolant is getting in the oil. This explains your overheating.

If you're lucky, it's just the gasket. If you're not lucky, then the head itself has warped,. Both conditions explain the leak, the overheating and the bubbles....

Last edited:
Depending upon mileage and $$, you might be better off with a reman head if the head is warped

Keep in mind the water and oil mix may be in the bearings which is no good.

I would drain the radiator. Drain and change the oil. Do not add any coolant. Run the engine for maybe 30 seconds. This will flush out and oil and coolant mix in the bearings.

Then deal with the head.

You cannot drive this vehicle.

I think the problems you were having before were not a radiator issue or a failed part, it was a head gasket issue from the start. Coolant is getting into the oil which explains the other issues you were having. I think Donald's advice is good. (especially the part about not driving it!)

Thanks u all for ur time.

I can't still understand the cause of strange soumd around timing chain side of the engine before I get overheating problem. And how would overheating of Engine stop the noise is still Another confussion.
The car is now at Mech shop but he told me the. Engine need to cool well before he can check detail in the engine.

Thanks u all for ur time.

I can't still understand the cause of strange soumd around timing chain side of the engine before I get overheating problem. And how would overheating of Engine stop the noise is still Another confussion.
The car is now at Mech shop but he told me the. Engine need to cool well before he can check detail in the engine.

Hello all,
The car is back live.
The gasket changed.oil changed and the fan connection now ok.
Surprise! The timming chain sprocket was not properly fixed by the mech guy that worked on the engine b4 i got it.sign of wear on it and this was corrected. The noise is gone.
Thank u all.

I took it to work today on a 25Km drive. No noise,no sound,no overheating!!!!!!!\

Waoooooo.

The '98-'01 Altima engine was pretty tough. Did they use the 2.4L KA24DE in yours as well? I had one in a '98 and they originally came in a Nissan pick-up. Very stout engines... which is probably why it was able to survive a blown head gasket. Glad to hear it's back on the road! I miss my Altima all the time, and I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of it. I do remember having some timing chain noise in the car, but that may have had to do with the car's questionable oil change history before I got it. I was told it was the tensioner, but I never ended up fixing it.

Originally Posted By: alfaga
Hello all,
The car is back live.
The gasket changed.oil changed and the fan connection now ok.
Surprise! The timming chain sprocket was not properly fixed by the mech guy that worked on the engine b4 i got it.sign of wear on it and this was corrected. The noise is gone.
Thank u all.

I took it to work today on a 25Km drive. No noise,no sound,no overheating!!!!!!!\

Waoooooo.

Glad you're back on the road and doing well. Though it was probalby an expensive repair, I'm sure it was money well spent
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back