Safe OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just helped the kid do the first oil change on his new to him 2000 Honda Civic EX Coupe. That filter location is kind of a bugger!

Anyway, the car has 73,000 miles. We used a Purolator a Pure One filter and Castrol Edge 5W20 oil.

Short of sending oil for an analysis, what is a safe, conservative change interval for daily driving that averages trips of 7 to 35 miles? We are in Central Illinois.

I figured we can very safely run 6000 mile intervals. This is his way to work and college so we're happy to error on the safe side.

Originally Posted By: jrsdws
Just helped the kid do the first oil change on his new to him 2000 Honda Civic EX Coupe. That filter location is kind of a bugger!

Anyway, the car has 73,000 miles. We used a Purolator a Pure One filter and Castrol Edge 5W20 oil.

Short of sending oil for an analysis, what is a safe, conservative change interval for daily driving that averages trips of 7 to 35 miles? We are in Central Illinois.

I figured we can very safely run 6000 mile intervals. This is his way to work and college so we're happy to error on the safe side.

Go for it. I'm doing it every 5000 miles on my wife's Civic, but only because I have a perpetual need to do something.

Edge is a potent oil. It has a starting TBN of almost 12. You can easily run it 7500mi. I'm almost to 10K in my taurus.

Tell him it needs it every 3000 miles. That way you'll get to see him more often! Once kids start college, they never come over any more!!!
smile.gif

Last edited:
I think Honda originally called for 7500-mile OCI.

Any SN oil should be able to handle 7500 in the conditions you describe.

Castrol Edge black bottle can easily do 10k no problem. The gold bottle version is guaranteed to 15k, and that Civic is easy on oil.

I love the P1 filters!

I'd say 7K anyway. Probably more. Why push it? diminishing returns and all that.

I'd say its more important to get him in the habit of checking the oil level weekly. its an older car. By far an undetected slow leak is the greater hazard.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Yeah I've been trying to get him in the habit of checking his oil regularly. That'll be like trying to get him to clean his room!!

I got the P1 filters from Amazon for like $5 with free shipping and the little 1.6L engine only takes 3.5 quarts of oil so it's a cheap oil change. The Castrol Edge black bottle was $24.99 roughly at Walmart for the 5 quart jug.

I think we'll shoot for 7500 miles, but if it's convenient to do anytime after 6000 then it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back