Next size filters for a 98 corolla, MC, bosch, ect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:) Im seeking to try a motorcraft oil filter. the filter would be a 836, but want the next size bigger, intermendiate size* between the small ones and largerst one, being a Fl1a i think. Would it be the fl 400 or 930/?
The bosh is listed [censored] 3311...what would be the next big size that would fit, including the gasket on the oil adapter under car? Had some ac delcos and stp that was for a 95 neon, they didnt fit, if it means anything. too much overhang from the adapter and gasket and didnt thread..filters threads were too big.
And for opurolator/ standard size would be 14476//14477 the next biggest?

I think MC makes a fl 820...but don know it its bigger or smaler than the 836.

Last edited:
wixfilters.com has good data for looking up.

Your thimble runs 2.97 high x 2.68 OD with a gasket 2.47 OD, 2.17 ID.

The "next size up" PH3614 cross has the same threads but the gasket is 2.7 OD 2.4 ID. Generally the corolla filter boss will meet this gasket just fine-- I did it on a 95 prizm 1.6.

If the 3614 fits, the FL400S is a longer one of those.

thanks! my neon used the 3614 filters. lat year i tried too put one on my 98 corolla...i do remember the gasket exceeding the oil adapter under the car...wayt o far, like the inner part of the gasket, a fram tough guard, was on the outside of the adapter..that scared me... for some reason i keep thinking it wouldnt thread on either, the hole in the fitler was too big.
so...if that were the case, the fl 400's would be too big then? correct? i was just watching a youtibe on a motorcraft 400s, like how the oil pressure vale is ontop..many have them under the can. a reason i wanna try the motorcraft ones..more reliable chances cleaner oil is being filtered*

Looked at rock atuo.com type in my old 95 neon..used the 3614 filters. motorcraft would be the 793..cloest i ever found near me, was the 810 i belive it was. but never got a chance too use it. perhaps the 810 would be the next biggest size for the 98 toyota?

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/MOTORCRAFT/FL 836

found this website..pretty cool cross references. however, i dont think my local autozone stocks this kind of mtotrcraft oil filter. they have them..but not the fl 836..think the 400 diameter would place the gasket halfway on or near the outter rim of the adapter
smirk.gif
prob the same with the fl 810..

There are regrettably a zillion filters with the FL1a/ FL400s/ PF3614 diameter.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There are regrettably a zillion filters with the FL1a/ FL400s/ PF3614 diameter.

Yes there are, and no reason to not use the FL400s in any of the applications as its a well rounded filter.

i see. cool:) waht im trying too avoid is the filter gasket having some overhang from the base of filter and adapter outwards..that kidnas scares me, as the 3614's did on my 98 corolla. i fel oil would have at one point, leaked or gushed out the sides, or hit a bump and off comes the filter! : x
ell..for my yota, the puroator 14476 is oem it, 14477 biggr filter..thats the size i want, like the 14477...
what would frams size too the 14477 be? motorcraft? ot too big a filter and not too small, in the middle;) extra filter and filtering area. to me = cleaner oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back