Thanksgiving Dinner Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do your families make for Thanksgiving, beside turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing?

We do creamed corn, the obligatory Frenches green bean casserole, and this thing called oyster salad, which is like a 100 year old family recipe passed down through our family. It's basically cabbage, diced oysters, diced sour pickles, crumbled crackers (acts like croutons), and a vinegar based dressing. It sounds terrible, but it's one of the best tasting dishes ever and I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested.

usually do Williamsburg sweet potatoes. Not all the marshmallows and sweetness of a typical sweep potato casserole, more heavy on the nutmeg and cinnamon... Delicious.

We have LOTS of cranberry production around here, so we usually make a real, fresh cranberry salad.

Cope's creamed corn is also one of my favorites.

Our sides are the standards. My wife likes to bake a ham and I like to find unique ways to cook the turkey. This year I am smoking a large turkey breast stuffed with boudin and wrapped in a bacon weave.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
Our sides are the standards. My wife likes to bake a ham and I like to find unique ways to cook the turkey. This year I am smoking a large turkey breast stuffed with boudin and wrapped in a bacon weave.

A friend of mine did the turkey breast in bacon weave to try a few days ago, no boudin though. Excellant stuff.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested.

I would like to see it
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
I like to find unique ways to cook the turkey.

Have you tried this method?
lol.gif
It also removes facial hair.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested.

I would like to see it
grin.gif

It's from my great grandmother.

Salad:

1 can of oysters
sour pickles diced (you can't use any other kind of pickle)
saltine crackers crumbled
finely shredded cabbage

Add the crackers at the end after the dressing has been added.

The dressing (it's basically homemade sour mayonnaise):

1 egg
2 Tablespoons of vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar

Wisk over slow heat until it turns creamy, and immediately cool. Pour over salad.

Sounds hideous, but it's excellent. We have to triple the recipe because everyone fights over it.

saltine crackers crumbled
finely shredded cabbage

So 2 pickles, 2 saltine crackers and a handful of shredded cabbage I'm guessing???

Obviously Ham. I like to rub my Turkey with Bacon fat before roasting breast side.down for the first half...breast side up the second half. Injected with garlic butter.

Candied sweet potatoes...think creme brulee almost.

Dirty rice.

Crawfish etoufee cornbread stuffing.

Green bean casserole, but with homemade soup and Bacon.

Baked Mac and cheese.

Smothered corn and spicy sausage.

Bacon brownies

Buttercake

Maybe a small gumbo or bisque if its cold.

Terrible cranberry sauce.

French bread.

And maybe deep fried BBQ pork ribs if I have time.

I wish I had some wood ducks....

My dad likes having Mexican corn in addition to all the other common sides for some reason. Right out of the can with some butter and fried up for a long time to make it well done.

So not dill pickles, but sour--like these -->Sour Pickles

Many thanks for posting the recipe!

Gonna put a 14# Butterball turkey on the Weber Smokey Mnt Cooker for bout 4 hours.
Peach n oak wood. Green bean casserole. Wife's tater casserole. Salad n ice tea.
I'll probably have a Sam Adams after while I watch the NFL n fall asleep on the couch.
Perfect.
thumbsup2.gif

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back