What came out of my oil (Visible, no UOA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this that came out of my oil? So stupid, I didn't keep the oil to send off for a UOA. Car is a brand new 2013 with 650 miles at time of change. I wiped it off of the drain plug, but it's not magnetic.. not sure what it could be.

IMG_3516_zpsf6e7a410.jpg

IMG_3517_zps6692a654.jpg

I was able to cut it with a razor blade, that's about as scientific as I can get. Maybe a small piece of plastic? It makes me unsure if it even came out of the oil

New engine assembly trash. Pretty typical, and I wouldn't worry about it. But stuff like this is why leaving factory-fill oil in for a full OCI makes my teeth itch. No new engine is perfectly clean, there are just too many places for assembly trash to hide.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
New engine assembly trash. Pretty typical, and I wouldn't worry about it. But stuff like this is why leaving factory-fill oil in for a full OCI makes my teeth itch. No new engine is perfectly clean, there are just too many places for assembly trash to hide.

thanks for the reply!! you really think that's what it is? I was freaking out man. I'm glad I changed the oil when I did then (650mi) just wanted to get it broken in a bit.

Its really, really hard to keep all the little bits and pieces of who-knows-what out of an engine as it goes together. They've gotten a whole lot better about not still having casting sand in there, but the engine is basically open all the way down the line as it goes together and junk gets in there.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
New engine assembly trash. Pretty typical, and I wouldn't worry about it. But stuff like this is why leaving factory-fill oil in for a full OCI makes my teeth itch.

Agreed. First run on a new engine should be considered severe service, because of sand and whatever gunk gets in there..... I always change at 3000 miles.

Is it rubber type.
I'm guessing its rtv or something to that effect. It's too big to get by the oil pick up screen and if it had it would have easily been trapped by the filter,unless your using one of those steel mesh re-useable gravel trap oil filters.

Hehehe

it was like a plastic kind of deal, I THINK - I was able to cut it with a blade so I'm assuming it's not metal... I really should have saved the oil for a UOA.

As long as it's not engine damage...

Whew! good thing the piston didn't fall out (j/k).

Could be anything along the assemble. Just keep an eye on OC's.
I now cut my filters for a eyeball since BITOG came along.

I'm assuming this is the 2013 Mini you have in your sig?

When an engine is built, it is going to shed some junk. That piece was obviously too big to go through the oil pump screen, so it would have just remained in the oil pan.

Not to be a killjoy, but it could be part of a timing chain or belt tensioner/guide. I'm not familiar with the Mini engine, perhaps someone who is can comment.

If it's under warranty, take it back to the dealer and show them what you've got. That way at least they will make a note on your service file.

Originally Posted By: dernp
If it's under warranty, take it back to the dealer and show them what you've got. That way at least they will make a note on your service file.

This. At least give them a call and say what happened if they are too far away. I think the closest Mini dealer to me is like 2 hrs south..lol

yeah theories are ranging from engine gunk from build to timing chain components (which are supposedly a different color) to gasket material etc etc. I'm really not sure. I wish I had a UOA. I threw the piece away after I chopped it in half with a razor...

I'll have the dealership take a look at the car though. As long as there's no engine damage, I'll be pretty satisfied

Originally Posted By: kyoo
... I threw the piece away after I chopped it in half with a razor...

Please tell me I read that wrong----? you THREW THE PIECE AWAY---??? (slaps forehead)

Originally Posted By: steve20
Originally Posted By: kyoo
... I threw the piece away after I chopped it in half with a razor...

Please tell me I read that wrong----? you THREW THE PIECE AWAY---??? (slaps forehead)

lol yea... i'm not doing myself any favors it seems. i'm really at a loss. it's hard to believe the car could actually have something wrong with it with 650 miles on the clock, but who knows..

I called the service department, and they said they can't really do anything unless they drop the oil pan yada yada. So I was basically like, so what do I do, wait until the engine blows? And they said yeah, and then it'll be covered under warranty.

Obviously neither of us actually believe the engine would go, just want to make sure nothing's breaking apart in there or some [censored]

This is probably unrelated but I took the oil cap off and looked inside, and there's a piece that definitely looks chipped... I'm just grabbing at things now though

IMG_20131125_202350_2_zps13dae00c.jpg

I really would just relax and not worry. "Wait and see if it blows" really is the best approach here, because if that piece is a problem it will fail while still warrantied. But I do NOT think its going to blow. Just quit thinking about it and enjoy the car! :)

gotcha. probably overthinking things. i'll get a UOA for the next change and that'll be that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back