Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I typically run Pilot Super Sports but it looks like I'll be moving to Plano (N. Dallas) next March so I'm looking at an All Season versus UHP tire since I might have to deal with some light snow, etc. in Dallas.

I know these are new to the marketplace, does anyone have these mounted and what are your impressions so far?

What's interesting is that the Michelin site recommends the Primacy™ MXM4 for All Season.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
So I typically run Pilot Super Sports but it looks like I'll be moving to Plano (N. Dallas) next March so I'm looking at an All Season versus UHP tire since I might have to deal with some light snow, etc. in Dallas.

I know these are new to the marketplace, does anyone have these mounted and what are your impressions so far?

What's interesting is that the Michelin site recommends the Primacy™ MXM4 for All Season.

Thanks!

Why not just buy some dedicated winter tires and keep running the PSS's in the summer?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Thanks!

Why not just buy some dedicated winter tires and keep running the PSS's in the summer?

I think that would be overkill for Dallas no? LOL no pun intended...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Thanks!

I think that would be overkill for Dallas no? LOL no pun intended...

Not if you get some legitimate snow (you did say snow in your OP
wink.gif
)

Put a set of these on my Mercedes S600, size 245/45R18 just last week.

So far, they're nice tires, good ride, low noise, good steering response. No chance yet to push them and see how well they grip, but from the initial impressions, they're great tires.

I have had the predecessor model, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus for about 20K miles. I'd not think twice about buying the new A/S 3s.

I've never driven them on snow, but surely they'd be better than summers, haha.

I live in Rockwall, near Dallas. I think it would be a good choice. I have Yokohama YK580s on my Mustang GT, which is a similar concept tire. A friend has that Michelin on his Mustang GT and is pleased with them. They will give near summer tire performance without becoming worthless if the temperature drops.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I personally think it is rare for Michelin to make a bad tyre

But I am somewhat biased

Some are boring - especially longer-life OEM types as opposed to higher performance aftermarket. I don't know if that would be "bad" though.

I've become curious about these too...Currently have Conti DWS, but the flat spotting even in warm weather when sitting for 2-3 days and even overnight is getting on my nerves...and although I know that the soft side walls are what makes it a good AS tire, I am wondering how much of an improvement the PS AS/3 will be, when the BMW is due for tires again...

But darn the PS As/3 is not cheap in staggered config I need.

The other contender is General G-Max AS03 - so much cheaper, and have heard a lot of good things on BMW and other Euro car forums...but is it as good as DWS or AS3? One can save a lot by going with GMax...even with road hazard;
And Conti owns General I think...So I am sure it's a decent tire..

Some info from TR:

PS AS/3 test:

GMax test:

What I really want to see is a test where they have Gmax, DWS and PS AS/3
smile.gif

All AS UHP surveys (Michelin PS AS/3 too new I guess - not included) - and look: DWS lost its crown to Hankook!! and still cheaper than DWS and AS/3

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Currently have Conti DWS, but the flat spotting even in warm weather when sitting for 2-3 days and even overnight is getting on my nerves...

In my experience, the flatspotting is a function of the car's steering/suspension setup to a large extent. Our cars are just very sensitive to it. I've tried a bunch of different tires on my e39, and they all flatspotted. The only ones that don't are the winter Generals, but they're 16" with huge sidewalls that soak up everything.

On the other hand, I don't feel any flatspotting on the wife's C300 with DWS at all.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season.

Just put a set of these on a customer's G37x last month, he loves them.

Not in my size... I have the Sport Sedan.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In my experience, the flatspotting is a function of the car's steering/suspension setup to a large extent. Our cars are just very sensitive to it. I've tried a bunch of different tires on my e39, and they all flatspotted.
I am pretty sure that's true (that one FEELS the flat spotting more due to car's susp. set up); However when I still had the old OEM Pilot Sports (factory tires I think), I don't recall flat spotting with them (or at least feeling it) - but that's an unfair comparison, as those were pure summer tires with a stiffer compound overall...

I have the Conti DWS on my Volvo T5 (in 235/45R17) and they've been good tires (though they're noisy now, later in life).

I considered them for the MB. The Generals were on my shopping list too...

Basically, though, I wanted to preserve the incredible performance of the car, so dry grip was paramount, good ride next, and didn't suck in winter would be nice...

From those TR tests, it looked like the AS3 would have the best dry grip, but it's subjective, since they weren't directly compared...

I got caught in Vermont last spring in a snow/sleet storm that was not forecast with Sumitomo HTR ZIII - and OMG, were they horrible in the snow! I grew up there, I can drive, but my poor car had zero grip on the slick stuff...no braking, little steering...worst driving experience ever. The Sumitomos were good on dry pavement...but I couldn't have a pure summer tire like that on the car again, in case I get caught in that kind of weather again...

Last edited:
I'm hoping a few more people chime in from Dallas as I'm almost certain all I need is an All Season and it looks like the AS 3 will fit the bill.

What kind of a job do you have? Will you have to make it into the office "no matter what?" I ask because I have family living down there and have also spent some time there myself. They get hit with snow or some nasty ice storms once or twice a year, if that. Then the whole metropolis gets paralyzed since most people don't have proper tires, don't know how to drive in such conditions, and the city doesn't have enough road clearing equipment to quickly react. Best is just to wait out a day. Typically by next day things get back to normal. Most employers are understanding of such situations and will not force you to come into the office on such a day. It's really best just to stay off the roads on days like these. Even if you have proper tires on your vehicle, many other drivers around you may not, so the risk of someone crashing into you is still high.

Personally, I would not bother with dedicated winter tires in Dallas. An all-season like AS3 should work fine in majority of situations, and when it gets really bad, just wait it out at home until the next day.

With that said, in my experience UHP A/S tires have really lousy winter capabilities. While they're somewhat better than UHP summer tires in such conditions, they are a far cry from winter tires, and even from less performance oriented A/S tires, so you have to know your limits.

Now, if you're also into skiing and plan to drive up to New Mexico or Colorado, then you have a legitimate case for dedicated winter rubber.

If you have to go in "no matter what" would a set of tire cables do the trick instead of the world's greatest winter tires? I mean, for the once or twice that you might actually need them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back