Painting old ceiling tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
We are redoing our dining room, having re-wallpapered below the chair rail, and we will be painting above it. The color we chose is a rich red color, between brick and cranberry. We're doing a little plaster work first so haven't painted yet.

B77C508A-67F9-41AF-B105-508451A35DF6-7446-000006934DE0CCA9_zpsdf49a51b.jpg

In the room is an old 12"x12" tile ceiling. I wouldn't call them acoustic tiles, because there are no deep recesses or features to them. No metal grid like the big commercial ones. Just the slightest subtle texture on them.

206AB091-84F9-4C2F-94DD-9E992B1DB24B-7446-000006933F4448A5_zpsee8e7a9f.jpg

FF48A868-66C0-409E-9CA5-7D58208A7D81-7446-0000069346A84133_zpsca7474bd.jpg

The tiles I believe have a coat of paint. But they are slightly off white, and I want bright white to better contrast what the wall color will be. While these tiles don't have nooks and crannies like acoustic tiles do, there still are edges and places where inconsistencies can occur. So what is the recommended way to paint them???

I was thinking to brush all the edges in an area and then roll it to get the surface. This way the brush ensures that paint gets into those edge seams. I was going to use Kilz first then ceiling paint.

Any suggestions? I like the tiles and it makes the ceiling look a little different than regular old drywall. When we refinish our kitchen, I'll probably put up a tin ceiling. I like a little character to an expanse as large as a ceiling.

Thanks!

I had these tiles in my basement, they seem to made of paper fibre, anyways i painted mine and they turned out nice, i used a acrylic ceiling paint and a medium pile roller, take your time rolling to reduced splatter. I trimmed the perimeter of the ceiling with a brush , the rest of the tiles seams filled in nicely with the roller.

From the pictures your tiles seem nice and uniform with no sagging, it should roll nicely.

Last edited:
It looks like a basic Celotex Ceiling Tile. I'd prime them with 123 Primer and finish with a latex topcoat. I'd apply the paint exactly as you stated. One caution, some of those tiles contained Asbestos. They used it in some Celotex Tiles made as late as the early 1990's. I'd do a Google search to determine if you're tiles contain asbestos. They make special paints to encapsulate them if you so desire.

They appear to be in good shape, and painting them will pose no problem, unless you scrape, sand or remove them, and then only if they contain asbestos.

Last edited:
Thank you!! We did test some of the tiles that were in another room. Ok there.

Thanks very much!

I have painted similar looking ceiling tiles. I was able to fill the grid with just a bit of extra pressure or by rolling with the end/edge where needed butI repaired some small defects with painter's caulk. You might wan't to do the same where you see the gaps between the tiles. I only primed the dirty or stained areas before the top coat and was very pleased with the results.

Your plan to use Kilz is a good one. As you are wanting bright white, It will likely look good enough to skip your top coat. I used it over a smoke stained (in the rental) bathroom ceiling and it still looks good years later.

Anytime John! Over the years I discovered Asbestos in a few homes and had to throw that out there. Most however were not asbestos!

If you want to short cut the job a bit cut the ceiling in first, meaning the corners along the walls. Then roll it, and brush in the grooved areas that the roller didn't hit. I prefer to brush them, especially with the primer because many times they're raw and will flash or sometimes discolor.

Last edited:
Better safe than sorry!! Now just figuring cleaning/prep and if any adjustments to paint are needed for absorption

Thanks again!

As previously mentioned by our painting guru, Zinnser Bullseye 123 is the primer to use. Regular latex ceiling paint or whatever you want on top of that.

I would never question Frank, but I have painted ceiling tiles a few times.

They Do absorbe, so you may as well use a primer for the fist coat.. I prefer Zinsser 123 (water based) to Kilz (Naptha)

Cut in the edges and 'lines' as you progress with the rolling, to keep a Wet Edge
Or you can get build up that shows as a Grid pattern.

Fill any voids with acrylic caulking after the primer and before the top coat (it's easier to wipe smooth any build up from the primed surface)

Roll slowly to avoid splatter, ceiling paints tend to be less splatter prone than Wall paints.

Most people go for a Matt finish on the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back