where were you this fateful day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was still 9 years in the making.....
eek.gif

I was in a third grade classroom at Battle Hill School in Union, N.J. when our teacher got a call on the intercom/phone.

She went outside into the hall to speak to the principal and other teachers, came back into our room, in tears, and told us what had happened.

We were dismissed early, and told to go right home.
It was one of the saddest of times I can ever remember.
My father took it REALLY bad, since JFK was like a God to him, sort of like Reagan was/is to most on here.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z
I remember the day before President Kennedy went to Dallas. He was in San Antonio, and I kept asking my mother to allow me the opportunity to see President Kennedy. All of the public schools were shut down so that the students and teachers could go to see him. She was a public schoolteacher who as luck would have it had the day off. My stupid private school, which I disliked, remained open and as usual my mother said that "education" was more important than seeing the President. I told my mother that it was more important to see the President of the United States for one day than worry about missing school for that day. In that day and time, how often would someone get to see The President of the United States? The next day while we were in "that stupid private school" the teacher Mr. Scotty, who I disliked as well, was called to the principals' office for a few minutes. He came back and made the announcement that President Kennedy had been shot and died in Dallas. That was, also, the year that my grandfather passed away and that refrain of education was too important for me came up again to go to his funeral.

I made a vow to my mothers' face that if something historic or a death in the family occurred that if I had children MY children would be able to go. Education can be put on the back burner or thrown in the trash for one day as far as I was concerned.

Yes, I have my memories of that fateful day being in school.

Great.............(Sarcasm)

Have you considered counseling?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z
I remember the day before President Kennedy went to Dallas. He was in San Antonio, and I kept asking my mother to allow me the opportunity to see President Kennedy. All of the public schools were shut down so that the students and teachers could go to see him. She was a public schoolteacher who as luck would have it had the day off. My stupid private school, which I disliked, remained open and as usual my mother said that "education" was more important than seeing the President. I told my mother that it was more important to see the President of the United States for one day than worry about missing school for that day. In that day and time, how often would someone get to see The President of the United States? The next day while we were in "that stupid private school" the teacher Mr. Scotty, who I disliked as well, was called to the principals' office for a few minutes. He came back and made the announcement that President Kennedy had been shot and died in Dallas. That was, also, the year that my grandfather passed away and that refrain of education was too important for me came up again to go to his funeral.

I made a vow to my mothers' face that if something historic or a death in the family occurred that if I had children MY children would be able to go. Education can be put on the back burner or thrown in the trash for one day as far as I was concerned.

Yes, I have my memories of that fateful day being in school.

Great.............(Sarcasm)

Have you considered counseling?

Why should he?

I was in fifth grade, had just come back from lunch recess, and everybody was chattering about it. No, they didn't send us home or offer us counseling or anything else as they would probably do today*. Everything on TV that I liked all weekend was preempted by the coverage. I missed out on Oswald being shot by Jack Ruby.

TV Guide had a special issue the next week with all the details of the coverage. I don't know if I kept it.

The tone of the above makes it sound like I don't care about it, but I do. It was the moment when America went from Optimism to Cynicism; it's crucial in U.S. history. But when I was 10, such things didn't affect me much.

* Things were a little tougher in the early Sixties, I suspect. When Hurricane Betsy loomed on the first day of school in '65, they not only didn't close the schools, they didn't even send us home early!

Originally Posted By: Tomcat_80
Hello and where were you this fateful November 22nd back in 1963? I wasnt even born. My mother was in school, and my father was out of high school already by 1 yr and working when it happened.

1963? The world didn't exist until 1978.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back