Northstar AGM batteries??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any info/reviews/feedback/etc. on the Northstar AGM batteries??

Supposedly, it was formed by a group of former EnerSys/Odyssey engineers/techs who broke off from that company and implemented even better technologies/construction/efficiency.

Their battery in my group/size is a FULL 120 CCA higher than the equivalent Odyssey, while weighing the same, and costing at least $50.00 less (it is also a full 170 CCA better than the DieHard Platinum in my size, while weighing the same and costing roughly the same).

Anyone??

If it's for the Chevy why not go for something smaller and lighter?
I'm running a small Honda battery in both my BMW and Porsche and at replacement time I'd go with something even smaller.

Running a small AGM 20 Ah, 200 CCA motorcycle type battery in the Caterham with no issues. Thinking of replacing it with a Braille ML7S Lithium-Ion battery, Only weighs 2 lbs. List price is $399.99.

I'm not convinced that lead/acid technology has changed much over the last 100 years. I did view the Northstar batteries at a local "batteries plus" store. They were not as flashy as the Odyssey batteries. In fact, they looked quite typical.

I put very little stock in the published specifications of such batteries.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If it's for the Chevy why not go for something smaller and lighter?
I'm running a small Honda battery in both my BMW and Porsche and at replacement time I'd go with something even smaller.

Running a small AGM 20 Ah, 200 CCA motorcycle type battery in the Caterham with no issues. Thinking of replacing it with a Braille ML7S Lithium-Ion battery, Only weighs 2 lbs. List price is $399.99.

My starter is of the 'high torque' variety, and I use this car in the dead of winter.
I at one time considered a racing Odyssey @ 21 pounds or less, or even one of the Deka/Brailles at a lower weight yet, but their CCA capabilities (as well as ALL of the other specs like reserve capacity, etc.) are less than half of what this car came from the factory with, and as much as I'd like to get weight off of the nose, it is NOT worth it for me to chance those weak batteries.

IF the (current, Mexican built, Johnson owned) Optimas were worth a d**n, I would just get another one of those since they are the lightest of the 'full capacity' AGM batteries in my group size.
wink.gif

I just found out that EnerSys is in the process of buying Northstar Batteries, so I think that when the time comes, I will get a Sears Diehard Platinum, which I also just found out IS still made by EnerSys right on their Odyssey Extreme Battery line, and IS identical to the Odyssey in EVERY way (construction/specs/etc.), save for case color and stickers/logos.

All this and ~$70.00-$90.00 less list price than the identical Odysseys go for at retail rates, and MANY MANY more
stores/locations to go to in case there is that VERY rare chance of a failure/warranty problem.
thumbsup2.gif
smile.gif

As you already know, Diehard Platinum is a re-branded Odyssey Extreme sometime Sears has it on sale with 20-25% discount, make it a very good purchase.

The problem is, when you need battery you don't have time to wait for it on sale.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
As you already know, Diehard Platinum is a re-branded Odyssey Extreme sometime Sears has it on sale with 20-25% discount, make it a very good purchase.

The problem is, when you need battery you don't have time to wait for it on sale.

I am still shopping around, and will try to get through this winter with my 4 year old, Mexican Red Top.
BUT, if those Platinums go on sale, I will grab one 'right quick'.
wink.gif

If one buys these online (which seems to ALWAYS have a 20% discount coupon, or such), can they be picked up, and also warrantied/replaced at the brick and mortar stores???

Yes, you can buy online when they have discount coupon to pickup in store, the warranty is the same as if you buy in store, just keep receipt for warranty purpose. Also, you can take the old battery with you when you pickup a new one so that you don't be charged for core.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Yes, you can buy online when they have discount coupon to pickup in store, the warranty is the same as if you buy in store, just keep receipt for warranty purpose. Also, you can take the old battery with you when you pickup a new one so that you don't be charged for core.

My only problem may be IF I cannot fit the 34/78 in my battery tray/space (the car comes with a 75/86 size battery from the factory), but Sears has decommissioned EnerSys from building that ONE size Platinum for them as of July 2013.
There are still some stores with the 75/86es on the shelf, even with as late as May/June 2013 build dates, but they have taken it down off of their site, so any internet ONLY sales/coupons/discounts will NOT work for the smaller size at the stores for me.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I just found out that EnerSys is in the process of buying Northstar Batteries, so I think that when the time comes, I will get a Sears Diehard Platinum,

Just curious, what has become of this? I was under the impression Northstar is their own company without any ownership of Exide or EnerSys? Reason is I am in the market for a group 78 size and was looking at the Northstar or the clone "X2" from Batt plus.

For the price I may go with the Die Hard Platinum but what about the side terminal issues, have they been cured? Reason is, all 3 of these have similar designs and I don't want any side-terminal issues with either.

Batt1_zps923bb52c.jpg

I never knew that the Odysseys/Platinums had a side terminal 'issue'.
confused2.gif

(In fact, that is one of the marketing points/advantages the Odyssey tech told me they have OVER the Northstars, and the Deka AGMs, namely a MUCH stronger side terminal post and strap adjoining the top post.
wink.gif
)

Please explain/elaborate.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I never knew that the Odysseys/Platinums had a side terminal 'issue'.
confused2.gif

(In fact, that is one of the marketing points/advantages the Odyssey tech told me they have OVER the Northstars, and the Deka AGMs, namely a MUCH stronger side terminal post and strap adjoining the top post.
wink.gif
)

Please explain/elaborate.

Ive heard of the straps connecting the side terminal to the actual terminal under the plastic, crack.

I've recently acquired a Northstar group 27 battery(930 CCA, 89.9 amp hours at the 20 hour rate). It was the older model that had a blue top where as the new ones are gray.

They dropped 30$ off it for being the older one, and its resting voltage before installation was 12.36v, which I was not really happy about.

Northstar says a fully charged healthy battery is 13.0V

Anyway, I drove the 27 miles home from the battery shop, and it was taking 11 amps initially, not sure what it was on engine shut off, but it read 12.7 an hour later.

Which I was not happy about.

I tried to charge it with a Schumacher sc2500a on the 12 amp AGM setting. This charger is on Odyssey's approved list of chargers, but only approved for a 75 amp hour capacity battery ( or less) and only when set on the 25 amp setting.

The voltage climbed to above 15 within seconds and the charger quit, went into fault mode. I've seen this happen often when applied to a fully charged battery, or a sulfated one.

I then ran the headlamps for a bit to drop the voltage below 12.8 so the charger would at least attempt to charge it again, instead of seeing 12.8v+, and going instantly into float mode.

This time it took 12 amps( I have a DC clamp on Ammeter), rose up to 14.6v and then the amps started to taper. Within 10 minutes it was back in float mode, 13.6 needing under one amp to hold 13.6.

I was still not convinced the battery was fully charged and was regretting buying the older blue top as the resting voltage dropped to 12.7 again.

When researching batteries for my application, I had talked with an Odyssey tech person about their batteries requirement that it be initially fed a 0.4C rate( 40 amps for a hundred amp hour battery) until the voltage reached 14.7, then held at for 14.7 for 4 hours(as the amps taper), before dropping to a 13.6v float voltage, at 77f. This requirement was for a deep cycled battery. When used as a starting battery and not cycled deeply their battery did not require this rather extreme charging regimen to return to full energy density.

He said a Deep cycled Odyssey battery not fed this charging regimen would not be fully charged, never get fully charged, or perform as well or last as long as one that was. It would likely last as long as a well treated flooded battery, but at 3x the price. He said a significant discharge was required then the correct High current recharge applied to reach ~ 90% energy density. That another 50% discharge was required and another correct 0.4C rate for 4 hours before the battery could be considered at full energy density.

I figured since Northstar is very similar to Odyssey, I'd try this treatment, but I needed to discharge it first.

I ran 255 watts of resistance heaters through an inverter until the voltage dropped to 11.6, the voltage rebounded to about 12v fairly soon after the loads were removed. Around 45% charged, perhaps less.

I put the Schumacher charger on it, 25 amp AGM setting and let it go for about 5 hours. The amps had started tapering when the battery was about 14.4 about 90 minutes in. The Voltage rose up to 14.65 about 2 hours into the charge and stayed there. The amps continued to taper and another 3 hours they tapered to 1.65. I then removed the charger, there were no loads on the battery but my engine computer. 7 hours later the voltage read 12.99.

The engine cranked faster than I ever heard it crank before.
I was impressed.
I was happy.

Still, Today I went back and paid the extra for the newer gray top battery and swapped them out.

This newer graytop Northstar was reading 12.89v on the shelf in the store, and did not crank the engine with the same impressive authority as the previous blue top I had subjected to the above charging regimen, and the engine was already warm, not overnight cold.

It also is behaving the same way when I attached the Schumacher charger to it after a 27 mile drive home at highway speeds, but with somewhat higher resting voltages than the bluetop had.

So tonight I am going to bring it to ~50% state of charge and feed it the 25 charging amps again to wake it up. That 930 CCA of the fully charged bluetop was fairly incredible to witness.

The Low and slow trickle charge mentality will not work for an AGM Discharged below 90%. Perhaps some other AGM's are more tolerant of a lesser initial charging current, but not those AGM's with these very high CCA numbers when compared to a flooded battery of the same size.

My opinion is does not work good for flooded batteries either. An old wives tale.
Low and slow for perhaps a battery in the 95% range, not to recover one discharged deeply. When discharged deeply, they are very thirsty. Let em drink!! Save the trickle charger for occasional topping up, or for the smaller batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back