QSUD oci?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I've started using QSUD and PureOne(gold) filters in all our vehicles(Hyundai's, Chevy's) I've been sticking to a 7500k oci. Based on the mileage, is this a decent combo?

Last edited:
I think 6 months/ 7500 miles is a safe OCI on QSUD without knowing any particulars (city, highway etc...).

Originally Posted By: pbm
I think 6 months/ 7500 miles is a safe OCI on QSUD without knowing any particulars (city, highway etc...).

Yes, normal service. City/hwy mix with little idling.

That's fine. It might be able to run a little longer based on engine particulars. QSUD 5w-30 is fine for 7500-8000 miles in my Cruze, which is harder on oil than other cars thanks to the hard-working snail in the exhaust manifold.

I will be sending a UOA from our 2012 Traverse. Will be at 5000 miles, mix of 2500 miles highway in August, then the rest extreme short trip miles. Using the QSUD 5w-30 with a QS filter.

Probably be a couple weeks.

Last edited:
I would do a 3000 mile UOA and then go from there. I did a 3k UOA on QSUD 5w20 and it didn't fair so well.

It depends on the car and engine type. So be safe. Change it at 3K do a UOA. That will give you a good idea of how that particular oil is holding up in your particular application.

Jeff

If 7500 is the factory recommendation, it will be a fine starting point.

In my application QSUD seems to be an 8000 to 10000 mile oil.

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
...a 7500k oci.

If this is a typo and you mean 7,500 miles, that's certainly attainable, but a UOA wouldn't hurt. But, 7500k miles means 7,500,000 miles, and I wouldn't try that.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone
...a 7500k oci.

If this is a typo and you mean 7,500 miles, that's certainly attainable, but a UOA wouldn't hurt. But, 7500k miles means 7,500,000 miles, and I wouldn't try that.

blush.gif

So that's an 7500 mile interval on an '89 Excel and a '69 Impala? 1st Hyundai and Chevy that came to mind. How long does it take in months to acquire 7500?

Just for fun I ran the OLM in my Aurora N* down to 5% which turned out to be 9300 miles. Blackstone said my QSUD had plenty left. Also ran QSUD for 217,000 miles in the Windstar. Body rusted out from under me, but the motor was still new. Hyundai recommends Quaker State, and I guess I'll stick with it.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I would do a 3000 mile UOA and then go from there. I did a 3k UOA on QSUD 5w20 and it didn't fair so well.

It depends on the car and engine type. So be safe. Change it at 3K do a UOA. That will give you a good idea of how that particular oil is holding up in your particular application.

Jeff

Ha. So ignore the oem recommendation and spend 25 bucks at 3000 miles for data that is going to say the oil can run longer(and that same 25 bucks is enough to put new oil in and forget the used oil analysis)
Then test again at lets say 7500 miles to find out for sure.
Sounds like a couple wasted steps to me.
Op Jeff is right and the only way to know for sure is to get the oil analyzed however if the engine is in a known good state of tune with no CEL on and the engine has been well maintained I see no problems with that interval,especially if the oem specifies that interval as well.
However I'd do a used oil analysis at 7500 miles just to be sure. Heck you may learn that you can stretch it out longer which also means you don't have to get nervous if you go past 7500 miles from time to time.

After what I've been reading about Dnewtons adventures with his extreme(by many members standards) intervals on cheap filters and Dino oil I'd be disappointed if qsud couldn't achieve 7500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back