whats sulfer & nitrogen role in dino oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking at the QPI website and I was wondering if somebody could shed light on why does conventional oil have nitrogen and sulfur in it? is tge sulfer a contaminant since there's a maximum it can have? Does the nitrogen help do something that synthetic oil does better? thanx

Not sure what QPI website is you've mentioned.

All oils, conventional and synthetic have some nitrogen and sulfur.

Sulfur is naturally present in conventional oils depending on their level of refinement.

Additive components such as ZDDP and detergents will raise the sulfur content of both conventional oils and synthetic oils.

The nitrogen comes primarily from the anti-oxidants.

So sulfur and nitrogen both contribute to the "well-being" of the formulated oil package.

Below is a thread that discusses the actual additive chemistry:

Chemistry of Additives

Last edited:
thanks, I was meant the petroleum quality Institute / America, their voa for conventional shows nitrogen and sulfur content but the synthetic oil ones don't, juat wondered why.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
thanks, I was meant the petroleum quality Institute / America, their voa for conventional shows nitrogen and sulfur content but the synthetic oil ones don't, juat wondered why.

I really don't know why PQIA didn't include sulfur for synthetics but my theory is that:

1) sulfur levels were pretty consistent across the board or,

2) sulfur analysis of samples is an added cost of each sample so doing 50 samples would have been cost prohibitive.

Sulfur and nitrogen testing was dropped on all samples because after over 100 samples it was observed that they did not provide useful information on the quality of the oils that was not evident from other tests. PQIA's Advisory Board periodically reviews the testing protocol for relevance.

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back