where were you this fateful day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and where were you this fateful November 22nd back in 1963? I wasnt even born. My mother was in school, and my father was out of high school already by 1 yr and working when it happened.

Home sick from seventh grade. Watching afternoon television game shows when Dan Rather interrupted from Dallas...

Toddling around my parents' living room at 14 months.

I have a vague memory of my mother shedding tears.

Last edited:
I was 6 years old and all I remember was that there were no cartoons on TV because they were preempted by the telecast of the funeral.

My parents not only were a couple years from meeting, they didn't even live on the same continent.
Dad was about 6 mo out of HS, probably driving a coke truck.
Mom was in her Senior year of HS,@ a Boarding School in extreme northern India. (her parents were Missionaries) she didn't find out until the next day(sat) when they went in to town for supplies.

I was reading a book with a girl in my second grade class (Mary Jane) when our teacher (Mrs. Hessel) announced that the president had been shot...we were sent home. Funny thing...I hadn't seen Mary Jane for over 30 years and had a chance to see her at an "all class" reunion last year. We talked about the event...she remembers it too...reading the book with me...the announcement...being sent home. Neither of us remember anything else about the second grade.

I can't remember where I was when JFK was shot. I was probably in school. I remember the funeral and all of that. I still remember the casket on a wagon (they have a special name for that wagon but I can't remember) being pulled by horses in Washington DC.

But I do remember seeing him riding down the street in an open convertible car about a year or so before he was shot. He waved at the crowd and a older man standing next to me said 'Hi boss,' or something like that.

President Kennedy had a strange powerful effect on people.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
(they have a special name for that wagon but I can't remember) being pulled by horses in Washington DC.

That would be a Cassion.

I was fifteen. Lunch at home and back to high school. Went to junior class locker hall. I was alone until Mary Jo came into the hall. When she saw me she made a bee line. The look on her face made me know something was up. I was desperately trying to remember what I could have done to upset her. When she got close she said, "President Kennedy was killed." Every detail of that moment is burned into my memory. She went to the east coast after graduation. We never relived that moment. Mary Jo passed about ten years ago.

I remember the day before President Kennedy went to Dallas. He was in San Antonio, and I kept asking my mother to allow me the opportunity to see President Kennedy. All of the public schools were shut down so that the students and teachers could go to see him. She was a public schoolteacher who as luck would have it had the day off. My stupid private school, which I disliked, remained open and as usual my mother said that "education" was more important than seeing the President. I told my mother that it was more important to see the President of the United States for one day than worry about missing school for that day. In that day and time, how often would someone get to see The President of the United States? The next day while we were in "that stupid private school" the teacher Mr. Scotty, who I disliked as well, was called to the principals' office for a few minutes. He came back and made the announcement that President Kennedy had been shot and died in Dallas. That was, also, the year that my grandfather passed away and that refrain of education was too important for me came up again to go to his funeral.

I made a vow to my mothers' face that if something historic or a death in the family occurred that if I had children MY children would be able to go. Education can be put on the back burner or thrown in the trash for one day as far as I was concerned.

Yes, I have my memories of that fateful day being in school.

Great.............(Sarcasm)

I remember coming home from school. We didn't hear it as school!
My mom was on the phone with a friend discussing that the President was dead. All 3 local chanels were covering the news.

I have followed much of the assination since the mid 60's and have my own view.

Last edited:
I was 6 years old. I don't remember anything about the event, but my mother was a calm person, not one to let world events upset her children. I do have one peculiar memory. I remember drawing a picture of a horse and thinking (as a child would) that it was a most beautiful picture. I remember the drawing was a pencil sketch. I suspect the drawing was inspired by the president's funeral procession...

I recently spoke with my brother about this. He was in college down in Philly at the time. He took the train to get there and back. He said that Reading Terminal was absolutely quiet that afternoon. The normal hustle & bustle was gone, just complete and utter silence "you could have heard a pin drop".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back