T6 in my BMW??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, ive spent hours researching this and trying to come to a conclusion. Ive got a 7.3l that does great with T6. Ive got a 540 that the wife DDs, and I recently got an 88 325i that I DD. M1 0w40 in the 540, trying to figure what to put in the 325; M1, GC, which weight etc....Now im wondering if I cant just put T6 in all three.

Can I just run T6 across the board? I appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks,

(I didnt even know which section to post this in, the passenger car oils, the heavy duty oils or the euro oils!!)

I wouldn't run the T6 in the 540, I'd stick with the M1 0w-40 in that. Maybe use that in the 325 and the 540?

Originally Posted By: StuDawg
Now im wondering if I cant just put T6 in all three.

Or you could put M1 0w-40 in all three.
smile.gif

The M1 is actually slightly cheaper.

My most recent fill was with Penzoil 10w40 HM in my old 525i with 233,000 miles. Car seems to like it fine. Mobil 1 0w40 was very noisy.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I wouldn't run the T6 in the 540, I'd stick with the M1 0w-40 in that. Maybe use that in the 325 and the 540?

Why wouldnt you use T6 in the 540? (M62TU) Because its not LL01 approved? I did think about using the 0w40 in both bimmers. But T6 is only $20/gallon, and it would make my life easier if I could use it in all 3. My 7.3 likes T6 and I certainly wont be changing that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Now im wondering if I cant just put T6 in all three.

Or you could put M1 0w-40 in all three.
smile.gif

The M1 is actually slightly cheaper.

I dont think the 0w40 is rated CJ4 for diesel or heavy duty is it? Where is 0w40 cheaper than $20-$21 a gallon?

I dont think the 0w40 is rated CJ4 for diesel or heavy duty is it?

Correct, it isn't. If CJ4 is a requirement, then yes, M1 0w-40 may not be the best fit. Although, I believe M1 0w-40 has a stronger add pack than T6. T6 add pack had to be reduced to be more friendly to DPF. Not sure if the OP's truck is DPF equipped...

Interestingly enough, in Europe, XOM sells a product called M1 0w-40 Turbo Diesel, and it's the exact same oil as the regular M1 0w-40.

Quote:
Where is 0w40 cheaper than $20-$21 a gallon?

Walmart. M1 0w-40 is $25 for 5qts. T6 is $21.50 for 4qts.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Why wouldnt you use T6 in the 540? (M62TU) Because its not LL01 approved? I did think about using the 0w40 in both bimmers. But T6 is only $20/gallon, and it would make my life easier if I could use it in all 3. My 7.3 likes T6 and I certainly wont be changing that.

Yes. It is also heavier than the LL-01 spec oils that the M62 calls for.

Ok, ive spent hours researching this and trying to come to a conclusion. Ive got a 7.3l that does great with T6. Ive got a 540 that the wife DDs, and I recently got an 88 325i that I DD. M1 0w40 in the 540, trying to figure what to put in the 325; M1, GC, which weight etc....Now im wondering if I cant just put T6 in all three.

Can I just run T6 across the board? I appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks,

(I didnt even know which section to post this in, the passenger car oils, the heavy duty oils or the euro oils!!)

Yes. T6 will work great in all of those. I'm sure there are 'better' choices, but the T6 works great in all of them, especially if it makes your life simpler
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I dont think the 0w40 is rated CJ4 for diesel or heavy duty is it?

Correct, it isn't. If CJ4 is a requirement, then yes, M1 0w-40 may not be the best fit. Although, I believe M1 0w-40 has a stronger add pack than T6. T6 add pack had to be reduced to be more friendly to DPF. Not sure if the OP's truck is DPF equipped...

Interestingly enough, in Europe, XOM sells a product called M1 0w-40 Turbo Diesel, and it's the exact same oil as the regular M1 0w-40.

Quote:
Where is 0w40 cheaper than $20-$21 a gallon?

Walmart. M1 0w-40 is $25 for 5qts. T6 is $21.50 for 4qts.

Thanks for that info...my 7.3 is definitely NOT DPF equipped, (pretty sure I wouldnt own a vehicle with that nonsense)....Are you saying I might be better off running the M1 0w40 across the board?

Are you saying I might be better off running the M1 0w40 across the board?

As Garak said, depends on what particular specs your Excursion calls for. What does the manual say?

Looks like its CG-4/SH, as in, both. Manual says it has to meet both, not just one or the other. I think Im just gonna have to stick to T6 and M1 for the bimmers.

I’ve pondered that question for a long time.
I’ve also read everything I could find on gasoline and diesel engine oils and I’ve come to this conclusion.
This is my opinion!

Diesel engine oils contain detergents to hold soot in suspension and neutralize acids until the oil can be replaced, detergents weaken the surface tension of the oil which can permit breaching of the fluid film and could allow metal to metal contact during extreme loads & temperatures if used in a gasoline engine.
Diesels engines have much larger bearing surfaces to carry the loads generated and typically turn much slower than gasoline engines (the older large diesels anyways)
Gasoline engines have much smaller bearing and thrust surfaces and also operate at higher speeds. This requires motor oil with very high surface tension (high film strength) to prevent failure of the fluid film separating the components.
I recently replaced the cam & lifters in my Dodge Cummins diesel and found this information.
To ensure a long service life a camshaft break-in additive such as ZDDP is needed and a specific operating procedure is required to ensure proper break-in of the cam/lifter interface during the first 30 minutes.
I also read that gasoline MOTOR oils may be better for this particular task.
Now in all honesty most drivers don’t operate their vehicles at or near the threshold of the lubricants ability to maintain separation of bearing surfaces so it’s unlikely that you or I would see the shortcomings of using quality diesel oil in a gasoline engine.
But if you have a highly tuned Hi-performance BMW you might want to stick with what BMW recommends.
My 2 cents!

Ducati996

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back