2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - VM 3.0L Turbo Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If that engine is used in GM as well as Chrysler products the price should come down according to the article. That would be great, the engine makes some nice power at low rpms and the mpg is great. What's not to like.

I hope the price comes down as well. I have never been able to pull the trigger on a diesel because of the up charges and extra coin for fuel.

I'm sure ID parts will soon have the oil and maintenance kits for it. They seem to be a good source for diesels.

Originally Posted By: 3311
If that engine is used in GM as well as Chrysler products the price should come down according to the article. That would be great, the engine makes some nice power at low rpms and the mpg is great. What's not to like.

I hope the price comes down as well. I have never been able to pull the trigger on a diesel because of the up charges and extra coin for fuel.

The fuel costs are a wash because of the extra MPG. The extra charge for the motor is what takes a lot of driving to make back.

That being said I have 311,000 miles on the 7.3 van and it still runs like new.

Last edited:
Just wanted to check back in now that I actually have the Jeep. I picked it up on the 10 days ago and have about 900 miles on it now, including one pretty good road trip out of town.

I'm not normally one to gush over an engine...but yeah...this thing is amazing! I'm getting low 20's around town. I drove 500 miles on the interstate at 75-85mph (except one burst up to 118 to see what speed she was limited to) with a FULL truck of big guys/coolers for a football game trip and got 27MPG. I think that 30+ should be expected under better conditions and more ginger driving. And power...The torque is ALWAYS there...and yes...it will spin the tires on dry pavement from a stop even though its full-time 4x4.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: 3311

The fuel costs are a wash because of the extra MPG. The extra charge for the motor is what takes a lot of driving to make back.

That being said I have 311,000 miles on the 7.3 van and it still runs like new.

In addition, repair costs are a factor. If you need repairs for a diesel, they typically cost more than for gasoline engines.

However, only time will tell which gasoline and diesel engines have higher lifetime repair costs.

Agreed. It gives you some hope for diesels in the future if they keep refining them.

Still too new to tell, but I love that they are going outside their own engineering department and looking at innovative designs from other companies...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Agreed. It gives you some hope for diesels in the future if they keep refining them.

Still too new to tell, but I love that they are going outside their own engineering department and looking at innovative designs from other companies...

+1 If they end up going DI with the Pentastar I'll be looking real hard at the Diesel option if they offer it in the Wrangler next year.

+1 If they end up going DI with the Pentastar I'll be looking real hard at the Diesel option if they offer it in the Wrangler next year.

You have to wonder if Chrysler is waiting to see what others do first, as the Pstar was their go-to powerplant for their future line up and yet does not have DI!

You have to wonder if Chrysler is waiting to see what others do first, as the Pstar was their go-to powerplant for their future line up and yet does not have DI!

They have/had plans for DI in calendar year 2014-2016 according to Allpar. From what I read they were waiting for others to iron out their issues. I learned to pass on the first year of any new technology. Just because Chrysler decided to wait doesn't mean the first year DI Pstar will be problem free. Honestly I'd love to see them scrap the idea totally.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: amr40509
Just wanted to check back in now that I actually have the Jeep. I picked it up on the 10 days ago and have about 900 miles on it now, including one pretty good road trip out of town.

I'm not normally one to gush over an engine...but yeah...this thing is amazing! I'm getting low 20's around town. I drove 500 miles on the interstate at 75-85mph (except one burst up to 118 to see what speed she was limited to) with a FULL truck of big guys/coolers for a football game trip and got 27MPG. I think that 30+ should be expected under better conditions and more ginger driving. And power...The torque is ALWAYS there...and yes...it will spin the tires on dry pavement from a stop even though its full-time 4x4.

Im very upset that you didnt provide a picture with your report!!
mad.gif
spankme2.gif

Sounds absolutely awesome, give us a shot of the engine and one of the oil on the dipstick!

Love this option as compared to the RX450h/highlander hybrid options for a high MPG SUV.

Good stuff, excited to see how it works out for you.

Update - Almost 7K miles on it and doing great.

Just took a (mostly highway) drive to see some clients on a couple of hours away yesterday.

I'm getting right at 27 (as you can see) on the highway, and right around 20 around town. I think it'll get better this summer, as I've been doing a fair amount of idling and warming up the truck quite a few mornings (two young kids and it's been a brutal winter) - and should also get better when off of the winter formula diesel.

I haven't done any heavy towing yet (not exactly boating weather) but my ATV trailer loaded is right around 3000lbs. It pulls it like it's not even back there. I'll have to do some towing MPG figures later, I haven't really had extended trips to figure that out on yet.

MPG.jpg.html

JeepSnow.jpeg.html

Last edited:
Oh and on oil use....

Changed it at 3800 miles with 17% showing on the truck's oil life meter using Pennzoil Euro L. Mopar filter (seems the only source right now and they are $42 from my dealer's parts counter or $28 online).

That first change was mostly really bad conditions. 500miles of highway, but the rest was a lot of idle, off road (duck season), extrem cold, short trips, and city use. Basically as bad as I could have been to it.

Current oil fill has been in for 3100 miles and is showing 42% remaining - mostly the same conditions as the first change but 1200 miles of interstate driving so far this time.

Last edited:
Maybe you can tweak the engine a little and get even better than the EPA mileage! My 2006 Jeep Liberty diesel, after doing a tune on it, we could regularly bust 33 mpg on highway running. Even popped a few 35+ mpgs out of it. And the EPA sticker said it only got 27 on highway! Great little 2.8L diesel in that. My son now has it.

I think the limiting thing on these is that the supplier
VM in Italy can only at this time make 60000 units for the Ram and Grands.

On the Jeep forum a guy is loaning his to Gale Banks for product development while he is deployed.

There is a thread over there on it. Note Banks did a bunch of work on these for the military and speaks highly of the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back