Back in 1990, which one would you have taken?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't have expected the RX-7 to hold it's own so well against the 300ZX. Hundred less HP and only .3 sec slower to 60 MPH. I would still choose the 300ZX anyday; timeless and beautiful design.

Last edited:
I remember reading many articles from that time period on the 300Z and other similar cars in comparison tests.

300ZX vs Corvette

300Z/ZX vs 3000 GT

300ZX vs Toyota Supra Turbo

and so on!

Having driven many of these types of cars which include the RX-7 and Corvette's, Dodge Stealth/3000GT, Supra(NA), Porsche 944 etc, I found the 300ZX about the most comfrotable to drive normaly everyday.

Never pushing any of these cars to their limits but, still driving them like I stole'em, I'd pick the Nissan 300Z/ZX just based on my comfort level.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a 300ZX-TT, and I've always liked it's looks and civilized manners, but the 944 Turbo has a look that I like at every angle. I'm not all that impartial, though.

I had the Rx7 and the turbo added a boatload of power over the non-turbo version (I've had several of both) but living with it on a daily basis was.... brutal at times. I was convinced it didnt actually have springs on it, just well placed chunks of concrete. I replaced them with the springs off a non-turbo plain-Jane base model and it became a whole different car, much more liveable. I dont really think it gave up much in handling either, though I never ran any laps to test that. It was a great car, but it did have some quirks. I'd like to get another, but it wouldnt be a daily driver like last time.

My friend had the 300zx and it was one fine car, easy to drive and comfortable. Never got to drive an Mr2 turbo, just a non-turbo. I'd love to be able to find a decent condition example of any one of them and add it to my harem, but around here at least, they are turning to rust, or they are owned by younger guys who have beaten them to death or butchered them with rediculous mods. The few fine examples still left, and there are some still out there, are getting decent money.

That was a great era for sports cars....

If money were no option, the Nissan. But recalling I was a young army office in 1990, I might have chosen the MR2 due to it's lower costs but still fun performance.

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
Those prices made me gasp.

They are appalling, aren't they? The last generation of RX-7 was over $50,000 up here, and we know that was many years ago already. A current 370Z is less than that.

The RX-7 is the only one of that lot that ever remotely interested me. Not the most power, but SUCH a blast to drive. I grinned ear-to-ear every time I drove one back then. I lost interest in the Z-cars when they hung an "X" on the name of the Datsun 280-Z, and even moreso over the next two re-styles that made it so non-distinctive.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
None of the above.

X2

37.gif

Owned a 280Z and I currently own a MR2. So not the Mazda.

I would take the MR2

The 300ZX was a fat, turd of a GT car. Not that it is a "bad car" but if you drove the original Zs then you know exactly what type of fat dentist car the vehicle became.

Oh and the Corvette... unless you are taking the ZR-1 the breed was fairly week back then. The non-ZR1 V8 was only pushing about 240bhp and you would have been beaten silly by many of the smaller displacement turbos with less weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back