FIOS Coax - need to extend the run but with what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
When they installed FIOS internet a while back (net and phone came out cheaper and way faster than old DSL, and the discount they gave is supposedly permanent - good deal), the installer took the fiber signal in and then put out a coax cable that fed directly to the router/modem.

The main run from the main box to inside of the house wasn't quite long enough and so there is a little extension on it to get to the current location.

We are moving around the arrangement of the room where the router/modem was, and want to put it elsewhere in the room, probably 20 feet away.

Now the cables both are PPC Perfect Flex 6 series, but no idea what kind it is. Quad shielded? Tri shielded, etc. No real indication on the insulation printing.

So my options are to leave the router and modem in the basement, and run cat 5 to the two first-floor locations where I sometimes need a wire versus wifi, or to extend with Coax the run to the router/modem, and then put it upstairs where we would like to relocate it.

The wifi signal reaches the second story of our home well. Haven't tried in our walk-up attic, but think it will reach well enough.

So whats the best way to go, and if coax, whats the product I want?

Use RG-6 (the heavier conductor not RG-59) and you will probably be OK. Use a coax male-male adapter to butt the two together.

Have you priced out either scenario? I think if the wifi reaches everywhere you need it to without any issues, leave it that way. You can check out Monoprice for dirt cheap cat5 cables. Compared to coax, it might save you a few bucks. IMO if the wifi works, why move it?

Which option are you leaning towards at first thought?

Just use good quality RG-6 with quality connectors on the ends and you'll be fine. It's up to you though, RG-6 and cat5e are fairly inexpensive on amazon. It might be a good idea to move the modem and router closer to where you will be using them, as wireless network speed is greatly affected by distance.

Just use regular old RG6. you can get rolls of it cheap at Home Depot either premade or get the tool and crimp your own lengths. Only advice would be to splurge on a compression tool and fittings!

Regular RG-6 is fine.

My buddy and I wired his house and put his FIOS router into a media cabinet. No problems whatsoever and he's on the 75/35 plan or something like that.

Wish I could get it.

Comcast charges a lot for service yet near nothing if not free for adding extra outlets. We moved our TV across the room and the guy stated it would be $20 to correct it or free to add an extra outlet. We choose the latter.

Have inquired how much it costs to do what is involved. I think you spend far more in potentially one time use supplies than paying the installers. Worth a call.

I'd run the cat 5e but really if you're opening a wall up you should include both to future-proof. Crimping cat 5e is actually sorta fun.

Your home network and file sharing, future media streaming or whatever will all run great on the wired portion. As long as the modem's on it somewhere you can figure out the router location and the rest.

To answer your question, it is RG6 and that is all you need to know. Don't over complicate it with marketing terms that manufacturers use to drive up their prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back