Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 in my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I'm from Italy and I joined this forum some time ago and never presented me. I always read threads stealthy.

I own a Land Rover Defender Td5 and I learned how to change the engine oil alone. When I did the job for the first time I asked a friend what was the best oil to put in my car and he told me that for a so unsophisticated (and without DPF and EGR) engine like mine I could use Heavy Duty oils (a good E5 - E7 with a high API rating i.e. CI-4 plus) having better results and saving money (in the user manual of the car is required 5W40 ACEA A3/B3).

He suggested Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 because it has very good features and clearly superior to common commercial oils.

http://www.chemcorp.co.uk/creo_files/upload/related-items/delvac_1_5w-40.pdf

I would like to hear your opinion about using this oil on my car.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Does anyone knows the values of MRV or CCS for this oil?

I asked XOM and they replayed that these values are proprietary. I believe that in the near future, maybe '5W-40' will become proprietary.

Last edited:
I am happy that you haven't told me that I made a mistake. In fact I thought you would yelled me... My friend so gave me a good advice telling me to use that oil even if not within ACEA specifications, right?

My old 1990 Dodge ran from 180,000 to 360,000 miles even though it had a blown headgasket. I credit the Delvac 1.
smile.gif
My Mitsubishi V6 never died. The transmission stopped working long before the engine did (which still ran nice and quiet).

I would still be running Delvac 1 but modern cars recommend 5w-20, so I'm afraid the 5w-40 might be too thick. It is an excellent oil

Is this a diesel? If so, there is a light diesel vehicle page here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/52/1/Passenger_Car_Motor_Oil_%28PCMO%29

And that is where the post should be.

Anyway, I often read the UOA section and see someone used a 5w40 HDEO in an engine that doesn't specify it, and it gets great test numbers.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Use it for the full term OCI indicated in your vehicle's Manual

According to the official service schedule, oil change have to be done every 12 month or 20.000km. Reading this forum seems that most of you do an oil change before.
What would you do?

Run a UOA if you're unsure. Doug's sound advice is likely predicated partially on the fact that your Delvac 1's starting TBN will be significantly higher than that of most passenger car motor oils used in North America. The Delvac 1 5w-40 available in Italy has a TBN of 12, which is well into the range of what you'd find in an A3/B4 oil.

We in North America tend to change our oil earlier for a variety of reasons, including lower prices, different oil specifications, and different OEM recommendations. Doug Hillary has significant experience using Delvac 1 5w-40 in A3/B3 A3/B4 applications, so I would defer to his advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back