classic car battery maintainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My antique cars, I rare drive, it does have an alarm system, if I dont drove it for about a month, the batteries will drain out. Any suggestion I need an batteries charger that I plug in one in a while to keep my batteries full charger. Any good brand you guy think I should get ?

btw If my batteries is fully charger and I disconnect the negative batteries will the batteries drain that way ?

Battery Tender Plus, comes in 6V or 12V. Can leave it plugged in for years - senses the battery and trickle charges in 3 steps, to keep the battery fully charged and prevent sulfation. Go to their website (batterytender.com) to find a retailer near you. I think most O'Reilly's carry them. Battery Tender Junior does the same (at a lower purchase price), just charges at lower amperage, so will take longer to bring a partially depleted battery up to a full charge.

Originally Posted By: PFP
Battery Tender Plus, comes in 6V or 12V. Can leave it plugged in for years - senses the battery and trickle charges in 3 steps, to keep the battery fully charged and prevent sulfation. Go to their website (batterytender.com) to find a retailer near you. I think most O'Reilly's carry them. Battery Tender Junior does the same (at a lower purchase price), just charges at lower amperage, so will take longer to bring a partially depleted battery up to a full charge.

Man that is exactly what I need, price is right too !!, thanks so much. I check the site and most autopart around here carry it. thanks again !!

I greatly prefer the battery minder, especially in TX, due to temperature compensation which prevents an overcharge. The Schumachers go way high and do PWM which also is funky on batteries.

Nice thing about the schumacher is you can leave the wiring pigtail permanently connected so adding the charger is a 5 second exercise.

HF has a cheaper one but you have to mess with alligator clips.

Originally Posted By: PFP

This. It can perform float-charging, which is much healthier than a standard trickle.

If the battery will not be at 70F then its best to have temp compensation. Some have only a high temp compensation and some only a low temp compensation and a few have both. Look at the BatteryMinder 2012.

Without high temp compensation the battery could get more charge than it needs causing damage. Without low temp compensation, it will get undercharged and sulphate.

In my experiernce the Battery Tender Jr. works as well for less dough. If the OP has multiple vehicles in storage they even have a unit with that capability: as in 4 (or more?) as I recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back