Kendall GT-1 vs Motorcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I know both of these are made by the same company. Are they pretty much the same oil whether it be a blend or full synthetic or is the Kendall considered the better oil?

Wayne

The GT-1 should be placed ahead of Motorcraft syn blend, but they would be equal if your talking about Motorcraft full synthetic. I would add a footnote though, that finding the Motorcraft synthetic for cheaper than $9 per quart makes GT-1 the winner in most situations of price to performance.

Ok, thanks. I've been reading good things about Kendall and was thinking of trying it out in my new Mustang if I can find it locally.

I know the local Ford Dealership sells the Motorcraft full synthetic for $7.86 a quart. That is still more than I want to pay.

Wayne

ConocoPhillips' Kendall branded oil is very good, but so are many others. I'd buy it if it was on a shelf in front of me at a competitive price. I would not go looking for it.

I hav almost bought the Kendall syn blend at autozone. couple times before, but usually an oil change special is better deal, or 5qt jug n good filter is cheaper at wally etc.

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
I hav almost bought the Kendall syn blend at autozone. couple times before, but usually an oil change special is better deal, or 5qt jug n good filter is cheaper at wally etc.

Your lucky if your Autozone carries Kendall. I can't find it OTC in my area and I've checked many places here and gave up.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: SLATRON

Your lucky if your Autozone carries Kendall. I can't find it OTC in my area and I've checked many places here and gave up.

That seems to be the case around here also. I know the Firestone tire and lube shops here carry it but I don't think you can go in a buy it from them but I've never asked. I'll probably just stick with Motorcraft since you can get it anywhere.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: RAK
Wayne,

You can purchase Kendall products online at www.findkendall.com. They offer a wide range of motor oils---full synthetic, blends, and high mileage.

RAK

I saw that but it seems like the prices are higher than what you can get it from off Amazon and some other places I saw it online.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd

That seems to be the case around here also. I know the Firestone tire and lube shops here carry it but I don't think you can go in a buy it from them but I've never asked. I'll probably just stick with Motorcraft since you can get it anywhere.

Wayne

I asked at my local Firestone and they said "nope". And they won't do a OC using my OEM Hyundai filter.
I use the OEM filter for my Hyundai because of TSB on aftermarket filters can cause noise issues in some cases.
I did get a case (Kendall 5w-20 SN Full synthetic) just by luck when checking at a local shop only because a passing vendor had a case in his van, but no more. So I'm currently on my last fill of Kendall.

Wayne,

You can purchase Kendall products online at www.findkendall.com. They offer a wide range of motor oils---full synthetic, blends, and high mileage.

RAK

I saw that but it seems like the prices are higher than what you can get it from off Amazon and some other places I saw it online.

Wayne

petroluem service company is the best place online to get it. I can get it for 4.80/qt shipped to my door

Originally Posted By: volk06
Wayne,

RAK

Wayne

petroluem service company is the best place online to get it. I can get it for 4.80/qt shipped to my door

Is that the full synthetic or the blend? If it's the full synthetic, that is a great price compared to Motorcraft full synthetic.

I'm still debating the blend vs full synthetic. I've not used a full synthetic for over ten years but this is the first new performance type car I have owned and I want to make sure the engine has good protection.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: volk06

Yup, PCS in New Jersey is very hard if not impossible to beat on Kendall pricing. They ship fast too. I can't get Kendall locally here within 50 miles+ now so I order it from PCS. Truth be told even with shipping it is cheaper than local.

I am assuming the OP( wtd )needs 5W20 for his Mustang. PCS has the Kendall full syn 5W20 for just $46.62 a case( 12qts = $3.89 a qt ). The syn blend 5W20 is $34.29 a case( 12qts = $2.86 a qt ). Excellent prices.

The key with PCS is to order 2 cases at one time. That is always the best shipping rate by far. Buy one case and it is more $$$ and buy more than 2 cases and it is more $$$. So, buy 2 cases at a shot and save the most $$$.

Example of shipping to my zip code( same for full syn, blend, conventional )...

1 case = $13.22 shipping
2 case = $20.10 shipping
3 case = $35.71 shipping
4 case = $54.03 shipping

So using the full syn as the example the final cost breaks down as the following with shipping factored in...

1 case = $4.98 a qt
2 cases = $4.72 a qt
3 cases = $4.87 a qt
4 cases = $5.01 a qt

So as you can see the best deal is buying 2 cases at one time. Shipping to the OP will be more than I posted as I am closer to NJ than he is but I doubt it ends up being more than about $5-$5.25 a qt shipped.

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/kendall-engine-oil.html

Last edited:
hey maybe I should buy some try it, or they won't have it after I decide to some time. They only have one row of it and only the syn blend I think $4.5/qt. I often wonder how they decide which stores / regions get certain oils. It must just be price point I would think, I used to buy Max life full syn at wally world for $25 a jug but stopped carying it and I asked the guy and he said they didn't sell enough of it but I've gone in there to get it and there was not even any left,now synpower is $22 n change. I got a bunch of Castrol Edge ti on clearance for 5 bucks they didnt sell enough of that n dont stock it either

I don't understand Kendall's erratic store coverage either.

What viscosity does your car need? It seems Motorcraft has no 0w20, but Kendall does, so if you encounter extremely cold temperatures, you can benefit.

Plus, the VOA section confirms that Kendall has a stronger additive package than the MC oil.

My Mustang uses 5W-20. So is it the consensus that Kendall semi-synthetic blend is better than the Motorcraft blend and that the Kendall and Motorcraft full synthetic are pretty much the same thing?

I'm leaning towards going with the blend. I've read about some instances of the Ford 5.0 having some engine ticking issues after an oil change and it seems like in most of the cases I have read about, the person had switched over to a full synthetic.

badtlc,
I see in your signature that you run the Kendall 5W-20 blend in your Ford Escape. What were your reasons for using that oil over anything else? How is it performing in your car and have you done oil analysis on it yet? Thanks for all of the responses.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back