Oldsmobile Aurora 'Best' 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for opinions on which brand/type of oil to use. The common question haha...

I drive a 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora with 107,000. It has a 4.0L aluminum V8. Same engine as the Cadillac 4.6L Northstar with smaller displacement. The owners manual calls for 10w30 with Starburst label/API.

16kvwk6.png

I currently reside in WV and this will be for a winter oil change. Temps are usually well below 60* once winter settles in. Although not quite there yet on a daily basis.

My drives are usually short city trips but often drive spiritedly. Ocassional 400 mile round trips once every couple months.

My vehicle currently doesn't have any problems other burning losing about a quart of between changes. This is very common for these engines. Oil pressure is A okay.

Currently using Valvoline Maxlife 10w-30 at all times. With 3000 mile OCI regardless. Was comtemplating switching to Rotella T5 10w-30.

Just looking for an opinion on what the 'best' winter and summer oil would be! I appreciate the insight and enjoy reading forum posts around here. If need any more info please let me know. Thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sallc5
I drive a 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora with 107,000. It has a 4.0L aluminum V8. Same engine as the Cadillac 4.6L Northstar with smaller displacement. The owners manual calls for 10w30 with Starburst label/API.

I think we've gone over this before, but "same block" would probably be more descriptive and accurate. One criticism about the Aurora engine was that the smaller bore (compared to Northstar engines) increased the weight of the block.

I'd be tempted to simply use a modern 5W-30 year round. The reasons why a 10W-30 was spec'ed (probably volatility and VI improver breakdown) are no longer an issue with modern motor oils.

It seems like Maxlife has served you well. I would not change other than extending your OCI to at least 5K. 3K is such waste unless you idled your Aurora greater than 50% of the time it is in use.

So, you fellas are saying 5w30 all year around...?

Yup or at least for the winter fill... A 0W-30 would be better yet...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Keep using the Valvoline 10W30.

I would in S TX but NOT WV...

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

Yep.

Yep Yep.. Max Life

Yep, and just keep with the maxlife....

Thanks for the answers guys! Many differing opinions but look as if most lean toward the maxlife 5w-30 not ony for winter but for all year.

Dailydriver, just curious why you would suggest 0W-30?

Thanks for the answers guys! Many differing opinions but look as if most lean toward the maxlife 5w-30 not ony for winter but for all year.

Dailydriver, just curious why you would suggest 0W-30?

A lot of people like to experiment to see if their hypothesis is true. I think in this case the thinking is that modern lower weight oils are extremely capable - beyond what might have been spec'ed for this car in 1996.

I do understand that around this time GM recommended a "synthetic 5W-30" for extremely cold climates, and maybe by '97 or '98 they were recommending a 0W-30 for extremely cold climates.

I remember experimenting with Mobil 1 0W-30 in my Integra. It was already well past the short bumper to bumper warranty, and it had no additional powertrain warranty.

0w30 would have better cold crank viscosity when the temperature start to go negative, but realistically in W. Virginia you will be well served by a 5w30 synthetic. A 0w doesn't have much benefit around your climates temperatures depending on which one were talking about.

Mobil 1 0w30 is a fine product however and i wouldn't hesitate to run it in any 5w30/10w30 application.

I haven't seen a bad recommendation in this thread yet if your wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back