Diesel genset oils & prices??

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my line of work, I deal with after hours approving or denying cost increases for a variety of PM and repair procedures for a large corporation. I just had a supplier call in for a cost increase approval for a PM service for a disel genset. They wanted $44/qt for 5W-30 synthetic oil. Even with 100% mark-up, I can't for the life of me think of a HDEO 5W-30 syn that would cost $20/qt. What could they be using??

Unicorn tears?

Has anyone seen a diesel generator that specs 5w-30?

Tell them to get some Rotella T6 at $5/qt.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Unicorn tears?

Has anyone seen a diesel generator that specs 5w-30?

Tell them to get some Rotella T6 at $5/qt.

Ya, I didn't quite get the spec either, maybe it's some specialty HDEO?? It's at a high altitude, and in the Pacific NW, and it's a site that runs pretty often during the wintertime, but still. I called the person in charge of the site,a nd since they're already on site with the oil, they're going to use it, but it will be investigated after the fact. In the end, it would cost more to tell them to leave and come back with a different oil.

Last edited:
I have several dozen 500 KW gen-sets in the fleet. All CAT powered. I think the last bill I signed the HDEO was 11.25 per gallon.

What is the make, model and spec of the gen-set? What is the brand of oil?

Hmmm, that's a pretty strong incentive to only have unicorn-tear oil in the service truck. The customer has a choice of paying for expensive oil, or a return visit with regular oil. Perhaps also carry under-spec oil, so it's not quite as obvious.

They really screw over the business to business business.

The guys who maintain our rooftop AC units make separate service calls for belt tightening vs filter changeout. As the turn-ons of the units are staggered only one sees any real work load but the rest of them get new filters while their practically new filters get chucked in the trash.

Our work generator runs off natural gas and does take a fairly interesting natural gas spec'd oil. We have a 5 gal pail that's gone forgotten about. Its batteries are 8 years old and I can't wait to see the markup on those. We're cunning, though: We won't fix it until it breaks.
thumbsup2.gif

After some googling, it's more than likely a propane-injected, GM Vortec 305. Why such a clean burning, run of the mill engine needs $40/qt oil is beyind me.

Does the cost of the oil include labor?

Gaseous fueled engine oils are more expensive because of the salicylate detergents needed, but even Lubrication Engineers oil for those engines aren't that expensive.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Does the cost of the oil include labor?

Gaseous fueled engine oils are more expensive because of the salicylate detergents needed, but even Lubrication Engineers oil for those engines aren't that expensive.

No, labor was separate. I didn't realize that propane-powered vehicles would require a special lubricant. I was under the impression since they burnes significantly cleaner than gasoline, it wasn't a big issue.

Many of them require a low to medium ash formulation with special detergency adds.

I would contact Lubrication Engineers and get a quote on 5 gal pails.

LE Dry Fuel Engine Oils

$40/quart is nutty price.

I would also do some homework and find out what the engine is and the required engine oil.

Also ask this group what oil they put in (get a detailed itemized receipt) since you ARE paying for it.

For comparison, Amsoils dry fuel oil costs about $11.00/quart retail in 5-gallon pails.

Dry NG fuel Engine oil

Last edited:
That's absurd. (Not referring to Mola's comments, obviously)

We have a number of propane powered standby sets (60 kW) that are serviced with plain old HDEO. I believe the last time the service provider used Peak. At least one of them has been in service for 5 years with no apparent issues.

FYI, I looked in the notes of the workorder that they made a correction - the vendor made a note to specifically inform me that the oil requested was 5 x 5-quart containers.....That was NEVER the case in point at the time of the initial cost request. So, 25 quarts for $219.96, $8.80/qt. Thats a MUCH more livable pricepoint. I have a feeling had nobody noticed, they might very well have stuck us with 5 quarts only.

The only special oil I've used for a diesel generator was GE Generation 4 approved oils and for the GE diesel locomotive engines, we last used Chevron Delo 710 LE which was a replacement for the previous Delo 6170 cfo. Low zinc pack because of the silver used in the bearings.
We would get something 1500-1600 gallons for around $13k or so delivered.
There were a lot of other oils listed.

$44.00 per quart or gallon? 4 Quarts was it $176?

Can always offer to supply your own oil.

That engine will run fine with off the shelf 5W30, I typically recommend 10W30 for any LNG/propane
Larger gas engines (over 13L) use Mobil1 Pegasus, which is SAE40 low ash/ low zinc.

Im sure someone will claim that its the cost of doing business because someone has to go pick up the oil, drive to the place to do service, and on and on. Just like when I had issues with HVAC guys claiming atrocious rates for installing some equipment.

I wouldnt doubt that propane fueled engines need a specialty lube, but that cost sounds like pure and simle gouging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back