UOA delo 400 XLE 10w30 23,294 miles in volvo D11

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is uoa of very same oil I posted a VOA for a few months ago. Used in my volvo d11 running all over the U.S. Truck was loaded 95% of time, at an average weight of 78,000 lbs.

Oil in use 8/23/13 - 10/30/13

Oil miles/hours = 23,294 miles/ 575 hours (fair amount of idling in there)

Engine miles/hours 262,102 miles/ 6,631 hours

Fleetguard air and oil filters

Tested by blackstone 11/12/13

-----------------UOA------------VOA

Aluminum--------( 4 ) -----------( 2 )

Chromium--------( 0 ) ---------- ( 0 )

Iron---------------( 8 ) ---------- ( 2 )

Copper----------- ( 3 ) ---------- ( 0 )

Lead------------- ( 2 ) ---------- ( 4 )

Tin--------------- ( 3 ) ---------- ( 0 )

Moly------------- ( 8 ) ---------- ( 0 )

Nickel------------ ( 1 ) ---------- ( 0 )

Manganese------- ( 0 ) ---------- ( 0 )

Silver------------- ( 0 ) ---------- ( 2 )

Titanium---------- ( 0 ) ---------- ( 0 )

Potassium-------- ( 3 ) ---------- ( 1 )

Boron------------- ( 5 ) ---------- ( 1 )

Silicon------------ ( 13 ) --------- ( 4 )

Sodium----------- ( 6 ) ---------- ( 2 )

Calcium--------- ( 2414 ) ------- ( 2484 )

Magnesium------- ( 38 ) ---------- ( 10 )

Phosphorous---- ( 1158 ) ------- ( 1164 )

Zinc------------- ( 1259 ) ------- ( 1241 )

Barium------------ ( 0 ) ---------- ( 0 )

Sus visc @ 210f -- ( 59.9 ) ------- ( 64.9 )

CST visc @ 100c -- ( 10.20 ) ----- ( 11.57 )

Flash pt in °f ------( 425 ) --------- ( 430 )

Fuel % ------------ (
Antifreeze/water --- ( 0 ) ---------- ( 0 )

Insolubles % ------- ( 0.2 ) -------- ( 0.0 )

TBN ---------------- ( 1.8 ) ------- ( 9.1 )

TAN ---------------- ( 4.6 ) ------- ( 3.4 )

Silicon is way high for this truck but oil pan was pulled at 15,000 on oil to replace oil level sensor. I think that's probably where it came from.

Hope y'all will forgive me if post is disasterous looking...using code block is not easy for me on my phone so to save time I did it this way. Sorry...

The wear metals are right in line with both universal averages (unknown miles) and typical of my own previous samples of 20,000 -25,000 mile oci's

Very Very nice. oil sheared slightly but as expected. base was pretty used up but TAN did not rise dramatically. Delo is such a great oil. Thanks for posting!

TA truckstops nationwide carry it (if not yet, they should soon) It was an extra $70 compared to bulk 15w40 for an oil change. Chevron distributors should have it anyway you want it by now, too.

I actually went back to delo 15w40 and will try a conventional 10w30 soon. My truck is robbing my bank account way too often lately so saving money on oil has become very important.

Last edited:
Looks very good to me and it will be interesting to compare the 10W30 to the 15W40. Wish my iron was that low! I think this is a good indicator that nearly constant use better than occasional use. I don't think the silicon is all that high.
BTW, does this engine run a bypass system? If so, do you know its efficiency specs?

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Looks very good to me and it will be interesting to compare the 10W30 to the 15W40. Wish my iron was that low! I think this is a good indicator that nearly constant use better than occasional use. I don't think the silicon is all that high.
BTW, does this engine run a bypass system? If so, do you know its efficiency specs?

Hi Jim...the volvo factory filters consist of two full flow spin on filters plus a bypass spin on type. In my case the full flows are fleetguard LF3675 and the bypass is LF3654 but I haven't had any luck finding micron ratings. Admittedly, I have no talent in searching, but on the cumminsfiltration.com frequently asked questions there is a "why don't you publish micron ratings" posed to them. The answer given is "generally there is no need" because their filters exceed oem requirements (my general recollection of that sight). Sorry I'm not better informed.

This was my seventh sample (only second with blackstone) and all others showed silicon at 5 or 6 so the 13 was more than double.

I have used 15w40 until this past oci. I have used delo for a while now but early on I used mobil delvac 1300 and a couple times I used delvac elite (15w40).

My own averages based on 7 samples:

Average oci = 23,248 miles

Alum = 5.71

Chrom= 0

Iron = 9.00

Copper= 9.00

Lead = 1.28

Tin = 2.71

The delo xle semi synthetic did 100% as well as any 15w40 in my truck. It is spec'd for either grade so no big deal.

Cool.

I couldn't find spec either but the Wix crossover # lists it as a nominal rating of 10 um and with a beta of 2/20=12/18, which translates to 50% @ 12 micron and 95% at 18 micron. Wix efficiency #s are highly suspect these days and we don't really know if the Fleetguard is equally so-so but I suppose it gives us a rough idea. If you were to write Cummins filtration and asked specifically, they might tell you. You could include the Wix specs, as if you are considering changing over, and maybe that will inspire them to cough up some details.

Not that you need it. You have good results with what you are doing now. It would just be nice to know,

Thanks for the info Jim...I will try your suggestion. I would like to know about my filters.

Thanks for all the research you've done overall regarding filtration. If I could just absorb it all better...

Very nice overall.

Si may well be from the pan rework; next UOA will help with clarity on this issue.

Wear is extremely low.

TBN/TAN inverted, but as seen, there is no harm done at this point. That's typical and more evidence that the massive panic here at BITOG is overblown in this arena. It's not advisable to ignore it completely, but it's yet more proof that when TAN crosses TBN, things just don't immediately go awry. Blackstone says to be concerned when TAN gets 8-10. I'd also monitor the wear rates as that were to escalate. The point to understand is that TBN/TAN is not a reason to automatcally condemn; it is a cautionary tale that would indicate closer scrutiny is due.

Good evindence of how large sump systems handle long periods of runtime. It's easy to dilute contamination and metals when you fill with gallons and not quarts!

Excellent service from a thin HDEO!

Last edited:
The fleetguard website indicates that you could upgrade both filters. The LF3675 could go to an LF9667 Venturi Combo. That filter uses stratapore filter media on the full flow section that filters 85% of 10 micron particles and a pleated bypass section that filters down to 98% of 5 micron. With that kind of efficiency I wouldn't doubt it would filter smaller particles pretty well too. The LF3654 upgrades to a LF17502. I've never looked into that filter so I don't know much about it.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Good evindence of how large sump systems handle long periods of runtime. It's easy to dilute contamination and metals when you fill with gallons and not quarts!

Awwwwwww maaaaannn!!! Way to deflate me dnewton3 !! I thought I had good results but now it's only because of dilution!
laugh.gif
Besides, I could fill with quarts, too...38 of them!!
grin.gif

Thanks sdan27... I'll look into those filters. I thought mine were top shelf but I guess there are better filters available. My guess is they cost a good bit more, though. If I go back to doing my own services I will at least inquire about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back